Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Swine flu vaccination for 1 year old?

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2010, 11:06 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swine flu vaccination for 1 year old?

We've had a letter through asking us to take our 14 month old daughter for a Swine Flu vaccination.

What are peoples opinions on getting this done? I've heard it can really make them ill for a few days afterwards.

Has anyone had this done to their children? If so, where there any reactions?

Cheers
Old 04 January 2010, 12:15 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

our doctors keeps calling up telling us we have to get our children done and don't understand when we tell them no. we were worried about it as there has been no testing of it and when you hear that nurses and doctors don't want it that normally suggests that there may be something behind it.
Old 04 January 2010, 12:18 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

I refuse to let my 3 year old have this jab as it hasnt been fully tested and also I would much rather that she fought off the virus (should she ever get it) naturally
Old 04 January 2010, 12:28 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Thanks. How do you know that there has been no/limited testing of the vaccine? The ones listed in the letter are "Pandemrix" and "Celvapan". My cousin is a doctor and she said she would not have had a vaccine in it were her choice, but because of her job it's compulsory. I've not had a chance to discuss it with her yet though.
Old 04 January 2010, 12:46 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Do read up an all the side effects. I have some health issues (AF) and on medication - it made me terribly ill and knocked out my immune system allowing me to catch a couple of other nasty things which put me in hospital for 8 days being fed via a drip.

Not much fun and three weeks later i have only just fully recovered
Old 04 January 2010, 12:57 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

If my children were offered it I would probably say no.

My daughter unfortunately had swine flu last year, and she managed to get by with lots of paracetamol and cuddles.
The side effects of tamiflu can be horrible and I feel it's just not necessary. I think the risks of getting swine flu re a lot lower, and now it is easier to treat, I don't think it is as much of a threat.
Old 04 January 2010, 01:53 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Just don't do it ... very small chance of catching the "flu" & even if you / kid(s) do you'll probably fight it off anyways. 300 people killed to date in the UK is miniscule.

TX.

Trending Topics

Old 04 January 2010, 02:02 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't let my kids have it ,i've spoken to a few pharmacists who are family friends and they are of the same opinion
Old 04 January 2010, 02:44 PM
marky1
Scooby Regular

my dr says don't go near it. if u get swine flu get on an anti-biotic to stop an infection (as it's the infections that kill you not the actual swine flu) - my 9 month old will not be getting it.
Old 04 January 2010, 03:55 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nimbus

There has not been any compulsary flu vaccination in the NHS.......take up round my way has been pretty poor !

Shaun
Old 04 January 2010, 04:00 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

I asked this on here a while back for our daughter 8 months old (we live in France) and got a mixed response. We couldn't decide what to do
Then she got a common cold (we think) and I don't think it can be given if you already have a virus. Then we heard on the news that in France some children had been given an overdose of the drug (given an adult quantity) so for now she isn't having it.
I don't think there have been many cases in our area or maybe we would wanting her to have it.
Tough choice
Old 04 January 2010, 04:04 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Ive got the same decision to make regarding my 11month old son. I wont being taking up the offer for this jab as I dont feel its been tested and was rushed in too quickly. Also, the side effects are nearly as bad as the flu itself.

My son has been quite ill lately with coughs, colds and even being sick. He's had a bad time, but I know that his immune system is getting stronger.

Im not going to take the MMR either, and opting for the individuals which I dont mind paying for. I appriecate many say that the MMR jab is okay, but I just wont risk it.

SBK
Old 04 January 2010, 04:58 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

What's with the "hasn't been tested" sentiment? I thought millions had had it throughout the world without significant problems.

I'd rather risk something that has been used extensively rather than a drug which manufacturers say has passed their own, albeit approved, test regime but not used very much by the punters.

I think I'd take a 3-year old who went to say a playschool but not a 1-year old but keep him/her inside if there was a local outbreak. dl

Footnote. If you can't get hold of any ask the French as they bought 94 million doses only to be told a week later that only a single dose vaccine (not two) was actually needed. So they have 50 million doses going cheap!!
Old 04 January 2010, 05:13 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Nimbus

There has not been any compulsary flu vaccination in the NHS.......take up round my way has been pretty poor !

Shaun
My mistake. I could not remember what she said exactly. Probably was a recomended vaccine then, rather than mandatory.

I must say that we as parents are very unsure about this.
Old 05 January 2010, 01:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They do say that the illness is particularly dangerous to children and also to those with a below standard immune system.

I was listed to have it because my immune system is somewhat damaged due to past chemotherapy.

I was a bit concerned at having it but found that the worst result was a slightly sore arm.

I would be prepared to allow my child to have it because the risk of catching the disease is far more likely to have a bad outcome than having the injection.

Les