Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Legal experts - returning a car just purchased...

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2009, 06:27 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long after the service did you discover the fault and what type of fault was it?
Old 22 December 2009, 07:02 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Good question to which I have no idea of the answer.

The fact that the dealer is prepared to give you a full refund without much argy bargy I would probably just take the cash and be thankful the issue was found in good time.
Old 22 December 2009, 07:22 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

sorry to hear that bob, but as ES has said.... take the dough and move on... could have been worse...

was it something the dealer might have known about, might be a chance you would get another vehicle from them??? then use that to your advantage

good luck and happy chrimbo btw !!!
Old 22 December 2009, 07:29 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Ask to speak to the Dealer Principal at the dealership, explain the situation, bought the car, had it serviced at it turns out the car is not fit for purpose. The service you paid for in good faith was a waste of your money and whilst you understand the dealership was not aware the car had serious problems you still spent out in it. Also you could ask why the serious problem(s) where not picked up during the service or their PDI, prior to you collecting the car.

Keep the conversation friendly/positive but stick to your guns

It may be you get back the cost of materials or a 'free' service on your next vehicle.

Good luck!

Last edited by The Zohan; 22 December 2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 22 December 2009, 07:37 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Sorry to hear it was a lemon, I had a horrible feeling that from certain things you said about the car that it may have had a hard life.

What was the issue with it? I wonder if the dealer knew it was a pup and hoped you'd drive off without noticing?

As said above, I'd take the money and run, but I'd still be pissed about the service money and would certainly follow it up with a well scripted letter of complaint and make sure it gets to head office registered post.
Old 22 December 2009, 09:23 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I think it depends on where you bought the car; Is it a main dealer or a back street sales pitch (in which case the dealer principal/head office is semi-shifty spiv and the head office is a portakabin )

Main dealer; should have been serviced and properly "inspected" before delivery to yourself. If it was second hand they usually claim to have done a gazilliion point inspection to make sure its fit for purpose.

Independant/car lot. Erm. Unless they serviced it for you, I doubt it. I guess you could try claiming it as loss you've suffered due to them selling you a car not fit for purpose, but on the flip side they could argue its a running cost regardless of the faults with the car (like fuel, tax insurance etc).

I hope you've sent the tax disc back and syphoned out the fuel from the tank

Last edited by ALi-B; 22 December 2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 23 December 2009, 08:46 AM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Tell them you work for the local newspaper and you will be running a full story in the next edition .
Old 23 December 2009, 10:41 AM
T.C
Scooby Regular

I had a similar situation a few years ago.

I purchased the car and despite having been told that the vehicle had received a full PDI it had to be returned to have the faults (that they said they had rectified) on several occasions.

After the 4th return only for it to be given back with the same faults in place, I rejected the car but the dealer would not give me a ful refund.

To cut a long story short, I issued proceedings against the dealer in the county court for the difference together with my out of pocket expenses which included a service.

Very straight forward, I got the balance of the money owed, plus the service costs plus my court fees plus all my other out of pocket expenses including postage, telephone calls and cost of travelling to the dealership on numerous occasions.

The point of thiss ramble is that if the dealership fails to reimburse you for the cost of the service, you do have the option of issuing county court proceedings and the courts are normally very sympathetic to the individual rather than the dealers, and it often costs the dealer more as they will also get costs awarded against them, as well as the bad publicity.
Old 23 December 2009, 11:59 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think that morally he should refund the cost of the service as well as that of the car. You are not getting any benefit out of the service except the discovery of the problem. If he sorts the problem he will have the benefit of a service on the car as well.

I have no idea where you stand legally but if you were prepared to take it to court I think you should stand a good chance.

You may well think that you might as well stick with the refund offered though.

Les
Old 23 December 2009, 06:27 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

i would take the refund while he is still offering it, and then pursue the money for the service although the likely hood of getting the money for that back are very unlikely.
Old 23 December 2009, 06:51 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

when he says get stuffed I wont get aggressive or annoyed
I'd love to see this.... - You sound like a changed man Bob !! hehehhheheh

good luck with it all
Old 23 December 2009, 10:46 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Send a ‘letter before action’ letter explaining that you will take legal action for breach of contract if he/garage will not act to resolve the matter.

If you do not do this before you actually take legally action, he will have good grounds to get your summons thrown out due to you not 'acting reasonably'

If you need help with your POC let me know.
Old 24 December 2009, 07:52 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Glad you got the right outcome on the main cost , the service cost well it's small fry considering the bigger picture.

How did you find out the engine was a dfiferent one?
Old 25 December 2009, 10:45 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Bravo, Bravo well done lucky it went for a service otherwise you could have been driving it around for upto 12 months not knowing and probably then with no recourse.

Maybe he knew or maybe he didn't but eitherway something should have been recorded somewhere, maybe thats a flaw in the whole system.
Old 25 December 2009, 06:24 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xx-IAN-xX
Tell them you work for the local newspaper and you will be running a full story in the next edition .
YOU F**KING ****!

You'll be more succesful if you say you're from the moon and gonna ray-gun his ***!

Old 25 December 2009, 07:49 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

i bought a 2000 punto for my daughter paid for car and when they tried tu deliver it they cudnt get any gears full refund bk st garage
Old 25 December 2009, 07:55 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Try contacting your local trading standards. Youll find them very helpful.

Chip