Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

dealing with mild anxiety attacks

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2009, 04:49 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dealing with mild anxiety attacks

Anyone get these, I seem to be getting them more frequently and I am just wondering has anyone got any good steps to follow in order to prevent or just deal better with it.

I must stress these are very mild but getting frequent.
Old 21 December 2009, 04:53 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are the symtoms you're experiencing, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 21 December 2009, 05:05 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i thought alfas were pretty reliable nowadays !
Old 21 December 2009, 05:08 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I just get very disorientated/tense and feel the need to just get out of wherever I am asap. Its just like being on the edge to be honest.

For example 2 weeks ago on I came back to work after a week off and within 5 minutes of sitting down i got in such a mess i ended up quitting without thinkin of the repercussions. I do know exactly whats bringing it on thou, I can't deal with the public anymore so i'm really trying to get a non-retail job at the moment which is very hard as there doesn't seem to be any. So if i could just control my anxiety it would really help.
Old 21 December 2009, 05:09 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
i thought alfas were pretty reliable nowadays !
shows how much you know!
Old 21 December 2009, 05:29 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Dealing with the public can indeed be a nightmare.

It is not very mild if it leads you to packing in a job.

See your GP.

This might be useful:

Cognitive-behavioural-therapy - Introduction

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/counselli...lptherapy.aspx

Last edited by john banks; 21 December 2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 21 December 2009, 05:46 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you may need to see a counsellor. everyone gets anxious in certain situations, many people cannot go into a packed shop, and start getting very edgy almost irrationally panicky, and have to leave before they should. gradual exposure is the best way. recognise situations that cause you to feel uncomfortable and Deliberately put yourself in that situation, do not be negative about having to get out of it at some point But feel proud that you endured it, and gradually increase the exposure, each time being pleased that you did it. but if you avoid the situation, then you will never confront what is making you feel this way. good luck, remember there is no shame in seeing a counsellor, your local GP will be able to arrange an appointment.

my brother went through a tough time, and had some good support and advice from his GP and counsellor, gladly he is back to his normal self now.
Old 21 December 2009, 06:42 PM
Mark Mac
Scooby Regular

Stop smoking "Da Green"
Old 21 December 2009, 08:00 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How much alcohol do you drink?
Old 21 December 2009, 08:02 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Anyone get these, I seem to be getting them more frequently and I am just wondering has anyone got any good steps to follow in order to prevent or just deal better with it.

After working 40+ years as MD of his company, my old man last year started showing signs of stress related illness. Got to the point where he was getting panick/anxeity attacks before setting off to work.

His problem has been not being able to switch off from work. Any problems with work, and he'd be up all night thinking about how to solve it. Eating to much, drinking to much, and smoking to much hasn't helped over the years either.

To try an take a step back, his business partner took over the day to day running of the company, and started working a 3 day week. This went on for months, and small signs of improvement were showing.

However 2 thing happened in the middle of this year that tipped him over the edge. Had been on the sick from July this year, and at the age of 62, he had to retire on November 30 this year.
Old 21 December 2009, 08:03 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

sorry to hear this jamz, some good advice from gallois above (among others)
Old 21 December 2009, 08:08 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

cheers for all the advice guys! It was well worth a read!
Old 21 December 2009, 08:39 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I have had the odd moment like that, exercise helps as does no booze or other substances, however my cousin had some episodes like that and turned out to be a form of epilepsy but as with all these things go to the doctors and get checked over.

Smoking weed can be a trigger in some people so if you do, cut it out and see how you get on.
Old 21 December 2009, 08:44 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

i don't do drug and Saturday was the first i've drank in months. I did go to my doctor about 3months ago as my girlfriend thought i was showing signs of hitting depression but he just told me to jog on, literally!
Old 21 December 2009, 09:06 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I have had the odd moment like that, exercise helps as does no booze or other substances, however my cousin had some episodes like that and turned out to be a form of epilepsy but as with all these things go to the doctors and get checked over.

Smoking weed can be a trigger in some people so if you do, cut it out and see how you get on.
I had quite a hard year when I was 15. I got into weed, probably just because of who I was around(don't think I was trying to use it as an 'escape' or anything, as I just blanked all the crap out at the time). It wasn't until I was about 17 that I started having problems. Possibly a delayed reaction to emotions I blanked out at the time? Who knows... but I'm convinced weed had some sort of connection, possibly making problems worse that were already there. Would strongly advise anyone not to touch it!

I also know a woman who is a psychiatrist at the state hospital local to me, and she reckons she has seen the effects first hand, and truly believes it has a part in creating some worrying mental problems.

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 21 December 2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 21 December 2009, 09:26 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

i don't do drug and Saturday was the first i've drank in months. I did go to my doctor about 3months ago as my girlfriend thought i was showing signs of hitting depression but he just told me to jog on, literally!
change your GP asap, he shouldn't be a doctor with an attitude like that, any half decent doctor will take depression very seriously, not necessarily with drugs, but will help you through it.
Old 21 December 2009, 09:31 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
How much alcohol do you drink?
Good Question. After a night of too much vodka and redbull I get similar symptoms.

I beat it by taking a powerful antioxident. Keep a tube of this on you.

When you start feeling peaky, drop a tablet in water, wait for it to fizz out and then drink the whole thing down. It works every time, you'll be right as rain in no time.
astraboy.
Old 21 December 2009, 09:31 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Have you been to a new GP? If you finda good one you will be surprised at the level of help you can get.

Don't be shy or worry about the fact you are 'seeing a shrink' or any other crap people come out with, these people can work wonders and you will be amazed at how much better you can feel in a short space of time.

The other good point made here is trying to do something that is totally different once or twice a week like play a sport.

Good luck and ignore Davyboy's contribution.
Old 21 December 2009, 09:35 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy
Good Question. After a night of too much vodka and redbull I get similar symptoms.

I beat it by taking a powerful antioxident. Keep a tube of this on you.

When you start feeling peaky, drop a tablet in water, wait for it to fizz out and then drink the whole thing down. It works every time, you'll be right as rain in no time.
astraboy.
Wierd, I get the same. Vodka and Redbull is all I drink when I'm out. What's the reason behind it?

Sorry for taking the thread off topic again, but this is quite interesting.
Old 21 December 2009, 10:17 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The reason is that you're drinking too much.
Old 21 December 2009, 11:02 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
The reason is that you're drinking too much.
You're wrong. I can drink vodka all night and redbull all night with no problems at all. Its when the two are mixed together and drunk to excess that the problems occur.
Wierd, I get the same. Vodka and Redbull is all I drink when I'm out. What's the reason behind it?

Sorry for taking the thread off topic again, but this is quite interesting.
I have no idea of the reason behind it but like you I'd like to know. My symptoms are closest described as my mind as a runaway nuclear reactor. My mind questions everything I see, hear, say, do and think a thousand times a minute and nothing I can do can stop it. Really stupid stuff which wouldnt get a look in under normal circumstances, like thinking "what if theres a train crash?" when i'm on a train on the way home, stuff like that. It just gets worse and worse until I start throwing up. I remember when it first happened and I didnt have a ****ing clue what was going on, I remember thinking "Is this is? Is this insanity?" Which obviously didnt help

The only thing that stopped it was eating a tin of Mandarin segments. I mentioned it to a friend and he said it was the vitamin C. "Whatever's wrong with you, Vitamin C can bring you down off it" he said and berocca has 800% of your RDA.

These days its just as much a psychological benefit as a physical. I know when ever i take it, I AM going to get better, which is why I mentioned it here. Its a cast iron guaranteed cure for what ails me, it might do the same for the OP.

It rocks these days I pre-empt the whole sorry affair. After a night on the pop, the first thing I do when I get up the morning after is down a glass. Problem solved
astraboy.
Old 21 December 2009, 11:05 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

see post 6 from John Banks.........CBT

Shaun
Old 21 December 2009, 11:47 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by astraboy
You're wrong. I can drink vodka all night and redbull all night with no problems at all. Its when the two are mixed together and drunk to excess that the problems occur.
It could still be that you are drinking too much, combined with the effects of the caffeine. It is said that drinking the two drinks together makes you 'feel' less drunk than you are and may cause you to drink more as the effects of the alcohol seem less than just drinking alcohol alone.

I'm no medic, but I would think the combination of possibly exessive amounts of a stimulant (redbull/caffeine) and a depressant (alcohol) would be a bad mix and could cause some strange side effects. It's almost like it would confuse the body.

Back to the OP, I would agree with others and suggest you go to a different GP, or someone who gives a toss, and get some proper advice. Once panic and these sorts of problems set in, it can become very difficult to pull yourself out of it. You need to adjust your behaviour in order to cope in these situations, and you may well need help with that. Get it, before it gets out of control.

I too, work in retail and I know exactly where you are coming from. It can be really difficult, and those who have never done it, just won't understand. It's seen as an easy job by many. It could well be best to get out of it, but either way, you need to 'learn' how to cope here.

Good luck in getting yourself sorted, and don't feel ashamed by getting help, and push for it.
Old 22 December 2009, 09:25 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

How many units a week do you drink astraboy and Alan? How many in one sitting?

Do unpredictable effects surprise you when you consider the amazing interaction on a whole bunch of neurotransmitters with various half lives, saturated and non-saturated pharmacokinetics, and someone inhibited trying to dose themselves? Some people call that fun. Some people end up feeling weird.

Last edited by john banks; 22 December 2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 22 December 2009, 09:43 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

To be honest John, I hardly drink. I mean it's probably once or twice a month at the most(always vodka and RB), but I understand what you're saying. Probably the equivalent of 10 or so shots of vodka on a night out I guess. I can imagine it's mainly the effects of the redbull I'm feeling the morning after?

And it obviously doesn't bother me that much or I would stop doing it, but I was just curious as it interested me when astraboy mentioned it.
Old 22 December 2009, 09:55 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Vodka & Redbull

Try a couple of grammes of coke combined with an all night drinking bender. Seems like a good idea at the time as the coke pretty much makes you invincible to the effects of the booze.....

....the next day however you will truly know what "the fear" is all about.

In my younger days I had similar, was getting regular panic / anxiety attacks, and was doing a bit of dope and other stuff at the time. My analysis of it is that dope can kind of introduce you to the whole anxiety / paranoia experience, first time I really ever had a panic attack was having smoked some weed and just thought it was because I'd smoked too much at the time (having a whitey). Looking back now it was induced due to my anxiety but the dope has a great ability to really amplify those feelings of fear so made it much worse.

Once I'd been into that dark place a few times I found it much easier to find myself there due to situations during everyday life, for example a stressful day at work. I think it got worse before it got better, my life wasn't exactly great at the time but I managed to still function, make improvements on that side of things (got my own flat) and eventually that helped with the panic attacks.

I have also learnt to deal with the attacks. Once you realise that it is happening you can learn to deal with them as you understand what is going on. Take deep breaths, take a lie down in a dark room, and think of nice things, if you're mind isn't racing too much try putting something mindless / funny on the TV to focus on. That has often got me back to reality soon enough. Bad though it is I also found if dope was a contributor then a few whiskeys would often help things mellow out Not so easy to do on the M25 though

Thankfully those days seem to be behind me. Don't do weed or substances any more but would quite happily have a "smoke" if there was some around. Most of my mates have given it up now though so don't find it's readily available.
Old 22 December 2009, 10:38 AM
dagger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Dealing with the public can indeed be a nightmare.

It is not very mild if it leads you to packing in a job.

See your GP.

This might be useful:

Cognitive-behavioural-therapy - Introduction

A guide to self-help therapy, including self-help books, Books on Prescription, online courses, and phone counselling.

I have been off work now for 3 months with depression, i let it go on for far too long, over 2 years, don't be afraid to ask for help, you are not weak or a ***** if you do..
I've been on medication for a while now, and it works, still waiting to see a Mental Health worker though, they aren't very quick round here

I tried the link above last night (CBT), was on there for 2hrs and it's really good, makes you think about things in a different way, so thanks for the link

All i can say is get the help now, before it gets out of hand

Good luck
Old 22 December 2009, 10:47 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

10 shots of vodka = binge drinking = associated with harm.

Binge drinking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Binge drinking is now considered normal in many groups. It doesn't make it less harmful. Denial is a huge factor, as is irritation when consumption is challenged.

I'm not saying this to wind you up or attack you.
Old 22 December 2009, 11:00 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Go see another Doctor, ask to be referred to a counsellor or a phsychiatrist (spelling?) you have the right to a second opinion. Sometimes just talking it through can help. It will only get worse so get treatment as soon as you can. In the meantime, chill out and relax, when you start to feel agitated think of something pleasant and calming, it helps.
Good luck.
Old 22 December 2009, 11:17 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

i lasted about an hour in town last saturday. had to get out. too many people bustling, jossling me about. started to feel the signs and just headed for the bus home. agree with the GP thing. ask to see someone else. yes exercise is a good stress reliever but to not offer other solution is kust wrong. JB may have other opinions about other GPs.

Quick Reply: dealing with mild anxiety attacks