Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Snow

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2009, 09:41 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow

What is it with drivers that cant drive in the snow, was out earlier & folk were doing 10 mph. Seen an old disco parked into a pole
I just tramped on regardless ................... i have gap though
Old 20 December 2009, 09:59 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You do live awfully close to the nam mate. Average IQ is minus something.
Old 20 December 2009, 10:02 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

absolutley snowed under manchester hgv stuck went out in the scoob and laughed at all them bmw drivers goin nowhere
Old 20 December 2009, 10:03 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
You do live awfully close to the nam mate. Average IQ is minus something.
People up here should be used to it. Police have closed off the bottom of the high street because cars cant get up the hill.

Ps whats nam ?
Old 20 December 2009, 10:08 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
People up here should be used to it. Police have closed off the bottom of the high street because cars cant get up the hill.

Ps whats nam ?
That's the thing I miss about 4 wheel drive... doesn't really make a difference to turn-in etc with the road tyres on, but you can still get up hills that other people can't!

Rignam. You not heard that one?
Old 20 December 2009, 10:12 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Oh and that must be a nightmare! Can't really think of an alternative way round the high street without hitting steeper hills!
Old 20 December 2009, 10:15 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

That's the thing I miss about 4 wheel drive... doesn't really make a difference to turn-in etc with the road tyres on, but you can still get up hills that other people can't!

Rignam. You not heard that one?
Rigside ? Thicko's i've heard that but not rignam.
Old 20 December 2009, 10:31 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

i saw two fine examples today,

1)
a bloke on a motorobike, one of those jap harley rip offs,
he looked surprised when he did a 180 turn and it slid away from him

2)
stupid person blocked all of the road in a big s class merc, because it never occured to him to put some salt on his drive
Old 20 December 2009, 10:33 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Rigside ? Thicko's i've heard that but not rignam.
Lol. Probs from back in the old days when Rigside on a friday night was like a scene out of apocalypse now.
Old 20 December 2009, 10:37 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Lol. Probs from back in the old days when Rigside on a friday night was like a scene out of apocalypse now.

My future wife to be is from there, although she is now cabin crew with BA & realised what RS is & was
Old 20 December 2009, 10:42 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick schofield
absolutley snowed under manchester hgv stuck went out in the scoob and laughed at all them bmw drivers goin nowhere
The driving ability demonstrated by BMW drivers in the snow earlier this year was shockingly poor! In the old 944 in the picture, with plastic windows, 9.5" rear wheels with 245 tyres and chuff all weight I still managed to drive about. Only just though, as these halfwits seemed to be blocking every incline.....

Ive learned my lesson though and if this continues I'll be fitting skinny 6"s and 3x 25jg bags of builders sand in the boot (in a full weight road car).
Old 20 December 2009, 11:12 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

I wonder if England will close down again due to a few snow flakes?!?!
Old 21 December 2009, 03:45 AM
Lily The Beige
Scooby Regular

I've just dropped the other half off at the truck on the other side of town (Transit van not great in snow apparently) and drove through Buxton, I really enjoyed the Christmas atmosphere, snow, lights, not another R sole in sight, no problem. I think it will be a different story when I set off for work at 8.30.
Bring on the madness
Old 21 December 2009, 11:28 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
The driving ability demonstrated by BMW drivers in the snow earlier this year was shockingly poor! In the old 944 in the picture, with plastic windows, 9.5" rear wheels with 245 tyres and chuff all weight I still managed to drive about. Only just though, as these halfwits seemed to be blocking every incline.....

Ive learned my lesson though and if this continues I'll be fitting skinny 6"s and 3x 25jg bags of builders sand in the boot (in a full weight road car).
Not necessarily the drivers' ability in a Beemer. Those cars are notoriously poor in the snow and you can't blame the driver for that.

The big trap in the snow of course is suddenly finding that despite your self professed skill at the wheel, you are going too fast to stop! Only too easy to get caught out like that! Most embarrassing.

Les
Old 21 December 2009, 11:49 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I had a lucky escape this morning from.... you've guessed it A ROVER DRIVER

Dropped the Mrs off at work for 5.45am and heading slowly out of the industrial estate. Some old dick in a Rover literally pulled out 50 yards in front of me so on came the anchors (1988 car with no creature comforts and fwd). One brake caliper obviously didn't work as the car span through 180 degrees into the junction he actually pulled out of. IRONIC OR WHAT!

Luckily no one else about but I was proper pissed so went and found an empty car park
Old 21 December 2009, 11:52 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

You should have seen the Jag I saw on the A1m on friday.

He was coming down the slip road, and expected the HGV on the A1 to give way to him. HGV couldn't and the Jag ended up on the hard shoulder still trying to get onto the A1. I fully expected him to loose it and spin out.
Old 21 December 2009, 12:49 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
You should have seen the Jag I saw on the A1m on friday.

He was coming down the slip road, and expected the HGV on the A1 to give way to him. HGV couldn't and the Jag ended up on the hard shoulder still trying to get onto the A1. I fully expected him to loose it and spin out.
Maybe it might help him to realise that traffic on the main road has right of way, not the car wishing to join.

Les
Old 21 December 2009, 01:22 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I was stuck behind a rather slow moving Micra, last night, as I headed home from work. My traction control light was flashing away at times, so I knew I'd have to show patience and wait for the car to turn off or wait for a dual lane to over take.

As I was expecting a chance at the next set of lights, I thought it'd be a good idea to look into my mirrors - this is when I saw the National Express coach straddling our lane and that of the oncoming traffic - and he was booting it!

I think he was doing about 40 mph in a 30 zone and only backed off when an oncoming car had a wobble and drifted towards him.

Once he got to the 50 mph zone, he floored it again. I wasn't impressed that a professional driver, with such a large and heavy vehicle was driving in a way I consider recklessly in such conditions. I fully expected to find him buried in a hedge further along the A60.
Old 21 December 2009, 01:43 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

I'd rather see people going too slow than too fast....was slightly annoyed yesterday when the idiot who lives at the top of my cul de sac skidded sideways out of the junction up onto the pavement missing me and my 1 year by no more that a couple of feet!

If he had been going at the same speed as everyone else he would have stopped ok - it's not that bl00dy steep.
Old 21 December 2009, 02:39 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Not necessarily the drivers' ability in a Beemer. Those cars are notoriously poor in the snow and you can't blame the driver for that.

The big trap in the snow of course is suddenly finding that despite your self professed skill at the wheel, you are going too fast to stop! Only too easy to get caught out like that! Most embarrassing.

Les
My greatly lightened car with excessively wide rear tyres was far worse! Im criticising those who deserved to be criticised: other more able BMW drivers may have been present.
Old 22 December 2009, 12:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
My greatly lightened car with excessively wide rear tyres was far worse! Im criticising those who deserved to be criticised: other more able BMW drivers may have been present.
I used to have an E12 M535i which was a very impressive performer in normal conditions but like yours was a real pain in the snow, especially going up hills.

The comparative lack of snow in recent years means that many people have not driven under those conditions. There is no practical way of training them either. They will no doubt be frightened of driving on snow or ice especially with all the media hype that we always get now.

You and I may well be used to driving in those conditions and enjoy a bit of sliding around etc. and have no fear of it either.

It is still unfair to criticise those who find the conditions difficult or even frightening and the real answer is a bit of patience and understanding. You cannot blame a person for being extra careful when they are uncertain of how to deal with the situation. Best that way then causing an accident, maybe even to your car.

Les
Old 22 December 2009, 01:44 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I was giving a friend from Italy some lessons on snow driving yesterday, (never seen snow where he is from in Italy) So I was explaining about how hard it was to control oversteer as different parts of the road have different levels of grip so guess what power silde, over correction slide the wrong way over correct then bang sideways into a high kerb. Decided then to put the MGTF away for xmas and pull a Vectra into serivce for the snow.
Old 22 December 2009, 01:58 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

BMW driver here - my car's not been off the drive since Friday.

Bloody impossible to drive in these conditions.
Old 22 December 2009, 02:02 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

BMW's are truely crap in snow, wide summer tyres, rear wheel drive , over excitable traction control and ABS, a bad mix. My TF 160 is not great either, it has no grip but at least you control the car yourself.

Last edited by Luan Pra bang; 22 December 2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 22 December 2009, 02:04 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

What is it with drivers that cant drive in the snow, was out earlier & folk were doing 10 mph
I just tramped on regardless ...............

You are better off doing 10MPH in the snow. That way, when a tool like you that thinks he's Arri Vattenen runs out of talent, there's more chance of getting out of the way
Old 22 December 2009, 04:01 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mj
You are better off doing 10MPH in the snow. That way, when a tool like you that thinks he's Arri Vattenen runs out of talent, there's more chance of getting out of the way

True, seen many wannabe rally drivers over the past few days. You have to remember some of us have kids in the car so we are extra careful.
Old 22 December 2009, 04:07 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mj
As per my other post, seems 10mph on a roundabout is enough to get your blonde wig and T16 turbo out for a spin

Old 22 December 2009, 08:25 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mj
Very good
Thankfully my talent isnt needed when i have nearly 3 tonne of Land Rover to keep me going. If i thought i was talented i am sure i could have tried to persuade the 5 series out the drive.
Old 22 December 2009, 08:51 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

High street must be a no go now! Wouldn't like to be out there at all. Still have xmas shopping to do tomorrow though, so hope the roads are clearer in the morning.
Old 22 December 2009, 09:22 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
As per my other post, seems 10mph on a roundabout is enough to get your blonde wig and T16 turbo out for a spin

Studded tyres FTW

Quick Reply: Snow