Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

sick absence work calls

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2009, 08:25 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sick absence work calls

This is something that is really boiling my ****, I have been of work for around 3 weeks now. I have had two voice mail messages left on my company mobile to give work a call because they are unable to sort something out.

If I had been given the extra resources I have been fighting / begging for for 2 years there would be no problem with things getting done while I am ill. I have not returned their calls, if I was well enough to be working, I would be in my office, as I am not, I am at home, in my bed where I have been for 3 weeks.

Does anyone else get hassled like this when they are off ill????
Old 28 November 2009, 08:34 PM
dagger
Scooby Regular

Yep all the time, I have also been off for awhile, sounds roughly same situation as yourself, i asked for extra help/ support and didn't get it...
I get called at least once a week, and have to go in 'for a chat' with the boss to see how things are going, every other week.
Old 28 November 2009, 09:15 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Seems you can type on here OK, so in my book you'd probably be OK enough to pick a phone up and have a conversation with someone...

Do you get full pay when off sick, or are you just on SSP? If I were paying you full pay I'd expect you to be able to use a phone once in a while - if you're on SSP, well...

Last edited by Dr.No; 28 November 2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 28 November 2009, 09:22 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

unless he's on the sick due to laryngitis or work related stress.
Old 28 November 2009, 09:42 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Without wishing to sound too harsh......if you'd dropped down dead, they would have had to sort it on their own.
Old 28 November 2009, 09:44 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oldsplice
Without wishing to sound too harsh......if you'd dropped down dead, they would have had to sort it on their own.
Without sounding harsher - they also then wouldn't be paying him to lie in bed and not answer the odd phone call...
Old 28 November 2009, 09:50 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

unless he has etc etc,
Old 28 November 2009, 09:59 PM
pandyman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr.No
Without sounding harsher - they also then wouldn't be paying him to lie in bed and not answer the odd phone call...

Have to agree with you here, not exactly above and beyond.

Two phone calls in THREE WEEKS!!! and thats hassling you???

Get well soon
Old 28 November 2009, 10:00 PM
Dan Gleebits
Scooby Regular

Location: in a place where there lots of rocks to chuck at feejits

WTF is etc etc? is is contagious?
should we be worried?

Seriously though, it seems its the way of the world now.. even if im out of the country on hols, you can guarantee Ill come back to X amount of both mails AND phonecalls/voicemails.
Old 28 November 2009, 10:01 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I think it would really depend on what the messages are regarding. If its to carry out work duties etc, while off sick I would be pissed too.

I am actually off work at the moment, and would not expect to be asked to carry out any duties while I am.

Without knowing the reasons for sickness I think it is unfair to be judgemental and start making comments like regarding the fitness to do things, and how grateful people should be for being paid etc.

Get well soon mate
Old 28 November 2009, 10:32 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems you can type on here OK, so in my book you'd probably be OK enough to pick a phone up and have a conversation with someone...

Do you get full pay when off sick, or are you just on SSP? If I were paying you full pay I'd expect you to be able to use a phone once in a while - if you're on SSP, well...
I guess it somewhat depends on why he is off work.

However, if you are off (paid or not), you shouldn't be bothered with work related calls. It doesn't really matter whether or not he is 'well enough' to post on here, that doesn't ultimately mean he is fit for work. And part of that, is that he shouldn't be bothered by calls, other than maybe to see how he is doing.

Just because someone is on the sick, doesn't mean they are not allowed to have any sort of activity, or contact with the outside world, like it or not.
Old 28 November 2009, 10:43 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

In local council "cloud cuckoo land", it would be regarded as harassment, and you could probably claim against someone....

My boss waved a new form at me last week, and implied it was "nothing", to which I replied that it clearly was something, and it served an obvious purpose, d*ckhead.

Then proceeded to use it on my fat, lazy colleague who went off sick because someone asked him to do some actual work for once

dunx
Old 28 November 2009, 10:54 PM
S1FU
Scooby Regular

If you are signed off work and they want to see you for updates, then they need to come to you ("Home Visits"). You are not insured once the doctor has signed you off, so if you go in, slip on the floor doing yourself damage meaning you could be off for a long time then you're screwed as they will pay you sweet FA.

Also, if you have been signed off, they can not harrass you with work related calls unless they ring you at the end of your sick note to see when you're going back or for updates.
Old 28 November 2009, 11:35 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a stupid thing to say

Dave - I get this also when off.
I can only assume your with a small(ish) company and this sort of nonsense happens

I myself get this sort of **** when i'm off - be it on leave of ill, and its not right.

About 4 years ago it was more serious as my wife took seriously ill and ended up partially disabled and work put me under extreme pressure to return to work.

Get well soon though.

Shaun
Old 29 November 2009, 12:30 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was off with Swine flu the other week and they didnt bother me at all .. I think they had a plan as they only paid me SSP .. *******s
Old 29 November 2009, 11:02 AM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Some interesting insights here, which lead me to assume that the likes of urban, Lisawrx, S1FU, and Snazy are all probably:

1. 9-5 hourly paid workers, not "salaried" (ie paid £x per annum to "perform a role")

2. Never ever "take work home" or do anything out of normally contracted hours

3. Probably work for a larger organisation, or current/past "public sector"

4. Are in a Union, or have a large number of fellow employees who are.

I think those people that work for smaller or more personal organisations, and who probably have more senior roles "being paid a salary to perform such role, irrespective of hours, etc.", and take work more seriously (rather than "it's a job, it pays me to go out drinking and pays the bills") see things slightly differently.

If I'm off sick, or off on holiday and my employer or any of my customers have a NEED to speak with me and call my mobile then (if I were physically able to) I would damn well talk to them - it's the least I can do. I don't see it as a p!ss take, I see it as my duty to a good employer / customer and to a fellow human being... who is also trying to do his / her job to the best of their abilities.

It's the ludite / Royal Mail "lets all go on strike as they're trying to 'modernise' everything" / Union-centric attitude, where employees behave just like "workers" rather than people that are key parts of a real business - that really annoys me.

What, honestly, is wrong with picking up the damn phone and answering a "Where is the xxxx folder?" or "What discount do we normally give customer yyyyy?" or something?

I just don't get it...

DN

Last edited by Dr.No; 29 November 2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 29 November 2009, 11:14 AM
Dan Gleebits
Scooby Regular

Location: in a place where there lots of rocks to chuck at feejits

where does one draw the line though? theoretically one could be called upon by office/customers at any point , day or night... I have done my present 'job' for 20 years now and am of the opinion either rightly or wrongly, that I owe it to myself to have a life.
Im not a droid, im not a number, I have family, friends and a life outside of work, so the line is drawn that suits me. if work dont like it, then as long as ive fulfilled my obligation to them, TUFF ******* !!
Old 29 November 2009, 11:25 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

In my book it really depends on your relationship with your employer. If you get on well and they are a reasonable bunch than return the call/s. If you detest working there then take the time to look for something else. You could always turn your phone off, of course.

The only time I was really hacked off with my employer was when I took about 10 days off when our first child was born. I never took my full holiday entitlement but within a week they were hassling me to come back in.

And don't forget office rule No 1 - You never get the resources that you need

Recover soon TT

dl
Old 29 November 2009, 11:37 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

My employer stabbed me in the back at the first opportunity, so I walked, now have a menial task where nobody is bothered whether I turn up or not, so long as the paperwork is in order

dunx
Old 29 November 2009, 12:44 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Wow, thank you for assigning me a pigeon hole

I dont work 9-5, I am salaried, do work for a large company, work OT and at home, and we have no union. FAIL!

I think you are missing the whole point of the matter.
Being off sick can be through many things, including depression, family matters, and other reasons which would dictate that the person is NOT contacted while off.
Give that the OP has not said why they are off, I think its just a little judgemental to make such sweeping statements.

If the circumstances are right, I would indeed expect anyone off sick to take a call or return a call from work. I always have and always will do so. But when sitting in a hospital all day while my mother receives chemo or radiotherapy.... Suddenly the importance of work disappears, and my priorities reorganise themselves very quickly.

I know where you are coming from, and in 95% of all cases of sickness, any employee should be expected to accept or make contact with their employer. But there ARE exceptions.

Nothing to do with level of importance or position at work, nothing to do with unions and working conditions. Its more about "time and place" Everything has one.

Also, your assumption is that they are calling for a simple question to be answered. What if they are hassling him to return to work, to be in on a conference call at 3am, wanting work to be carried out from home etc. Without fact, assumption is just that! And pointless too.

So I will sum it up by saying, its all about conditions, expectation and timing.

Some interesting insights here, which lead me to assume that the likes of urban, Lisawrx, S1FU, and Snazy are all probably:

1. 9-5 hourly paid workers, not "salaried" (ie paid £x per annum to "perform a role")

2. Never ever "take work home" or do anything out of normally contracted hours

3. Probably work for a larger organisation, or current/past "public sector"

4. Are in a Union, or have a large number of fellow employees who are.

I think those people that work for smaller or more personal organisations, and who probably have more senior roles "being paid a salary to perform such role, irrespective of hours, etc.", and take work more seriously (rather than "it's a job, it pays me to go out drinking and pays the bills") see things slightly differently.

If I'm off sick, or off on holiday and my employer or any of my customers have a NEED to speak with me and call my mobile then (if I were physically able to) I would damn well talk to them - it's the least I can do. I don't see it as a p!ss take, I see it as my duty to a good employer / customer and to a fellow human being... who is also trying to do his / her job to the best of their abilities.

It's the ludite / Royal Mail "lets all go on strike as they're trying to 'modernise' everything" / Union-centric attitude, where employees behave just like "workers" rather than people that are key parts of a real business - that really annoys me.

What, honestly, is wrong with picking up the damn phone and answering a "Where is the xxxx folder?" or "What discount do we normally give customer yyyyy?" or something?

I just don't get it...

DN
Old 29 November 2009, 12:57 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Agree with this part ... no harm in answering the phone as long as it's within arms reach + of course that work aren't taking the p*ss by calling every hour on the hour. At my place you're obliged to call in every day (to Line Manager) that you're sick unless of course you've been signed off for x days/weeks. TBH I'm never sick & find it hard to understand peeps that "pull a sickie" at the drop of a hat ... just makes more work for the rest of us

TX.

Old 29 November 2009, 01:14 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Wow, thank you for assigning me a pigeon hole

I dont work 9-5, I am salaried, do work for a large company, work OT and at home, and we have no union. FAIL!

I think you are missing the whole point of the matter.
Being off sick can be through many things, including depression, family matters, and other reasons which would dictate that the person is NOT contacted while off.
Give that the OP has not said why they are off, I think its just a little judgemental to make such sweeping statements.

If the circumstances are right, I would indeed expect anyone off sick to take a call or return a call from work. I always have and always will do so. But when sitting in a hospital all day while my mother receives chemo or radiotherapy.... Suddenly the importance of work disappears, and my priorities reorganise themselves very quickly.

I know where you are coming from, and in 95% of all cases of sickness, any employee should be expected to accept or make contact with their employer. But there ARE exceptions.

Nothing to do with level of importance or position at work, nothing to do with unions and working conditions. Its more about "time and place" Everything has one.

Also, your assumption is that they are calling for a simple question to be answered. What if they are hassling him to return to work, to be in on a conference call at 3am, wanting work to be carried out from home etc. Without fact, assumption is just that! And pointless too.

So I will sum it up by saying, its all about conditions, expectation and timing.

Not pigeon-holing just assuming a few probabilities...

Anyway, "Yup" - I'd tend to agree with just about everything there Snazy - though on my assumption that they're calling for the answer to a quick/simple question... The OP appears to have no idea why they're calling (or hasn't stated it), hence the least that he could do would be to return a "Hello mate, hope you're getting better, don't suppose you could give us a quick call could you - got a few things to iron out?" type VM... if that is, indeed, what it is.

Absolutely, if you're being asked to do more than a few minutes of work - or more than you feel capable of doing - then there should be no expectation for you to do so...

Going back to the initial point made by the OP - who's had TWO voicemails left for him over a THREE WEEK period of sick leave - based on what I can see here, and the information presented, he should do the reasonable thing and at least pick the phone up!

DN

PS What's OT? Is that where you get paid extra for performing "work" outside of your normally contracted hours? Seems like an interesting idea...
Old 29 November 2009, 01:23 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
In my book it really depends on your relationship with your employer.

I agree. It also depends upon what job you do, too.

Tarmac Terror, do you have total control on the operation of the task +info of what you do, or, is someone there at your work, who knows your business? I was engaged with a task, where someone went sick for about a month as soon as I began, and this person was to pass me all the info about the project. I don't sympathise with that utter slacker. That person was left to keep total control over the info. Even the person who oversaw the project was clueless about the info that was to be passed on to me. This caused the project to be delayed. So, companies can be at fault as well, to make some people so indispensable. They should have contingency plan, sick cover, stand-by system etc., and your team should be able to get on with the task you do, in your absence for whatever reason. In theory, people shouldn't have total autonomy on their subject info. In reality, it's hard to achieve, I know. It is next to impossible to achieve, with "rare skills" and "tight budget" situations.

Other aspect is to imagine a job where no one misses you, how useless you may feel as an instrument; to help with the operation of their company. Post 19 by Dunx renders it.

If your work keeps "moidering" you through your illness for "blocked toilet" type of query, causing you unnecesary anxiety, don't asnwer. You can listen to their mesages they leave, and prioritise. Don't be a prat, thinking "I am ill, so pee off", but don't be a slave either. Be reasonable, return their urgent/reasonable query, and chill.

Last edited by Turbohot; 29 November 2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 29 November 2009, 01:53 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol by OT I am just referring to "outside scheduled hours" Not suggesting any kind of payment there, that would just be dumb right?

I agree in principal for sure, a quick, "any news" or "how do I" is absolutly fine, as long as the timing is right.

Old 29 November 2009, 01:58 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot

If your work keeps "moidering" you through your illness for "blocked toilet" type of query, causing you unnecesary anxiety, don't asnwer. You can listen to their mesages they leave, and prioritise. Don't be a prat, thinking "I am ill, so pee off", but don't be a slave either. Be reasonable, return their urgent/reasonable query, and chill.
totally

I contact my work as regularly as necessary while im off, and try and return calls of any importance. And not people I work with just asking how I am, to try and start dialogue so they can book time off around my return. Had 2 calls/messages like that already.
"how long til you are back so we can save up all the crap for you"
Old 29 November 2009, 02:09 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

hard to believe but I have worked continuously for the last 20 years, I have worked for myself, small companies and large -- currently work for one of UK's largest

I have never had a day off work, apart from one day earlier this year when I had an emergency operation to remove an abscess on my back – I took a few calls whilst on the bed in A&E – I’m not some sort of hero but if people need help, and I can give it (or try) I will – simple

But that’s just my very personal view – I wouldn't really condone work harassing an ill employee
Old 29 November 2009, 03:01 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Ive got to say when I first read the title I thought it was 'sick calls....really make my p1ss boil' and was ready to agree as there are far too many people 'pulling' the odd sicky and costing employers money and making the rest of their teams work harder as they have to do the job of the sicky!

Most companies will phone employees when they are off sick. I can imagine the same people moaning a bucket full when they have been off for 2 weeks and they haven't recieved a phone call. 'My company haven't phoned me and they dont care'

Depending what somebody is off sick for they should be in contact with their company and there should be no reason why they couldn't do some paper work etc

The only exception would be absence due to stress caused by work.
Old 29 November 2009, 03:52 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

I like the "harassing" that keeps being mentioned

2 messages in 3 weeks Company needs to know something so ring and leave a message, they don't hear anything so boss asks did you leave a message employee maybe says i left a message but heard nothing back i'll try again in case he didn't get it so does this. Harassment over

And i agree that your obviously not too ill that you can't answer the phone if you are on here posting, it could be something really simple to solve like where is something.

From what i can see is your being awkward because they wouldn't make your job easier, maybe they have seen the point you were trying to make and are tryiny to put this in place. Also whats to say that you not answering is going to make your job more of a pain when you get back, as in it will be a right mess left for you to sort out because they couldn't sort it??

At the end of the day they pay you so should be able to at least expect a phone call back.

All IMO.

Aaron
Old 29 November 2009, 04:38 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

If I am able to type an email, or speak on the phone, I would be more than happy tp call work and help them out. Surely its what an empowered sensible and loyal employee who values their job should do? Also if you dont sort it now it will be waiting for when you get back.
Old 29 November 2009, 08:50 PM
si1
Scooby Newbie

Tarmac don't ever try being self employed its not for you. 3 weeks on the sick and your pissed off they have phoned your works phone twice. Its not like they are ringing your home number.Maybe as they pay your wages they might just want to know when you are coming back in. I just can't get my head round the attitude some people have to being ill,like work is something you do when you feel like it.

Quick Reply: sick absence work calls