Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ten years ago, next month...

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2009, 01:44 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ten years ago, next month...

The prophets of doom (Daily Mail) were warning of the end of civilization as we know it.

All thanks to the....

...Millenium Bug!

How many planes actually fell out of the sky as the clocks ticked past midnight on New Year's eve?

How many millions of pounds were wasted on unnecessary computer updates? I remember having to inform all of our customers in writing that we were "prepared" for the Year 2000. People even made jobs/money out of it: now those same people do HIPs/Energy checks for house sellers!

10 years later, it's swine flu that's going to wipe out mankind. But at least the computers will be OK!
Old 26 November 2009, 01:55 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I seem to remember it was more than just the Daily Mail lol.
20 years ago Tomorrows World said we would all be living in domes, and flying hover cars lol
Old 26 November 2009, 02:21 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Actually I was involved with Y2K compliance at our company and we identified several potential failures that if left unresolved would have caused serious operational issues.

The fact is there was a real risk of systems failing but re-coding or replacing obsolete systems meant nothing actually ever happened.
Old 26 November 2009, 02:34 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

My brother made a fortune during the run up to Y2K, he said at the time that serious problems could have occurred if certain things hadn't been done. Mind you he may well have just been trying to justify some of the money he was charging.
Old 26 November 2009, 03:13 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
Actually I was involved with Y2K compliance at our company and we identified several potential failures that if left unresolved would have caused serious operational issues.

The fact is there was a real risk of systems failing but re-coding or replacing obsolete systems meant nothing actually ever happened.

So was I, and as has been said, the reason nothing happened was BECAUSE all the money was spent sorting it first !!!
Old 26 November 2009, 03:33 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

y2k -- a consultants dream

the UK and the US spent millions

I seem to recall pretty much the rest of Europe (Italy especialy) spent about £18.00

which was a worry because I was in Tuscany at the time

A light bulb failed in Iran I seem to remember
Old 26 November 2009, 03:37 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

A light bulb failed in Iran I seem to remember

I have to say though, a lot was done to prevent issues. There was indeed a media frenzy, and over kill on it, but a lot of things could have gone wrong, on a smaller scale.
Old 26 November 2009, 03:42 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

it was the technological version of AGW imo

some truth, alot of hype, and alot of money

remember always follow the money
Old 26 November 2009, 04:16 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

hello? are you deaf? There were a lot of problems and they were fixed so nothing went wrong - THAT IT WHAT WAS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN! NOTHING! idiots
Old 26 November 2009, 04:43 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
hello? are you deaf? There were a lot of problems and they were fixed so nothing went wrong - THAT IT WHAT WAS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN! NOTHING! idiots

Blimey Guv, you'll be telling us all that Sadam Hussein really did have long-range weapons of mass destruction next!

Oh, the blissful naivety of youth...

Back to the issue though: it's a good point to note that the countries who didn't bother too much about the "Bug", didn't have any problems that I can remember.
Old 26 November 2009, 04:46 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

can you explain why countries that spent nothing on it experienced no problems (Iran excepted)
Old 26 November 2009, 05:00 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK

I was involved in Y2K testing of one of our corporate systems as well. I got a nice trip to San Francisco out of it
Old 26 November 2009, 09:31 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

can you explain why countries that spent nothing on it experienced no problems (Iran excepted)
Because the same countries have no IT - their systems run abroad.
Old 27 November 2009, 10:13 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo2

Blimey Guv, you'll be telling us all that Sadam Hussein really did have long-range weapons of mass destruction next!

Oh, the blissful naivety of youth...

Back to the issue though: it's a good point to note that the countries who didn't bother too much about the "Bug", didn't have any problems that I can remember.

Yes quite, why listen to someone who was there working on Y2K projects in the city, and has first hand experience of the issues, when you have your own pig ignorant views instead?
Old 27 November 2009, 10:39 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Yes quite, why listen to someone who was there working on Y2K projects in the city, and has first hand experience of the issues, when you have your own pig ignorant views instead?
why not just answer the question instead of getting all angry and defensive

thanks
Old 27 November 2009, 11:16 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

why not just answer the question instead of getting all angry and defensive

thanks
Try re-reading and comprehending all thats been said and you will find the answer.
Old 27 November 2009, 11:24 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Try re-reading and comprehending all thats been said and you will find the answer.

-- a simple I don't know would be OK
Old 27 November 2009, 11:42 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

see post 13 - no in fact I'll quote it for you as you still dont get it

Because the same countries have no IT - their systems run abroad.
let me elobarate for the hard of thinking, some countries are more developed than others. Some countries have more IT systems than others. Some systems are older than others. Countries which have lots of IT systems and were early adopters of computer technology were more vulnerable to the bug. These however were rich western countries and hence spent a lot of money fixing the problem. Which they did successfully. Everything worked after they were fixed. There were no problems because money and time had been spent fixing them. Other countries that didnt have any real IT infrastructure werent effected because they had no old equipment to go wrong. Those that had IT infrastructure provided by global companies eg banking services in Africa, had the problem fixed by those same companies.

I trust this spoon feeding of a basic idea that wouldnt challenge an 8 year old is sufficient?
Old 27 November 2009, 12:48 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

see post 13 - no in fact I'll quote it for you as you still dont get it

let me elobarate for the hard of thinking, some countries are more developed than others. Some countries have more IT systems than others. Some systems are older than others. Countries which have lots of IT systems and were early adopters of computer technology were more vulnerable to the bug. These however were rich western countries and hence spent a lot of money fixing the problem. Which they did successfully. Everything worked after they were fixed. There were no problems because money and time had been spent fixing them. Other countries that didnt have any real IT infrastructure werent effected because they had no old equipment to go wrong. Those that had IT infrastructure provided by global companies eg banking services in Africa, had the problem fixed by those same companies.

I trust this spoon feeding of a basic idea that wouldnt challenge an 8 year old is sufficient?
so in your parallel universe, in the year 2000 no other countries had any IT systems

South Korea and Italy to name just two – spent nothing (the rest of Europe a fraction of the UK & US’s spend)

the UK and US spent some 300 billion dollars

and they got the same result – nothing

the reality was that the bug affected .0000001% computer systems

but the scare stories – much like global warming alarmists btw, told the us that on 1 jan out PC’s would not boot
Old 28 November 2009, 11:44 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Of course now that they have got the LHC working again, it may come sooner than we expect!

Les