Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Office Bad Manners

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2009, 08:10 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Office Bad Manners

Everyone in my office over talks each other. If I sit here and try to explain something to a colleague, half way through the sentance my colleague is over talking me. In the 9 months Ive worked here, I doubt Ive ever managed to complete my sentance before I was either interrupted, spoke over, or the person Im talking to then trying to finish it for me !

Is it me ?? Or am I just unique and work in an office full of the most intelligent, know alls this fine country has to offer. I dont tend to over talk anyone. I let them finish, only speaking when they said thier point, or there's a period of quiet when I can speak. However in my current environment, I would never get to actually say anything. I find this so rude.

Also, arranging / atending meetings. There's always the same few people that turn up late to a meeting. No matter what time, how many days / weeks notice you give them, on average, people turn up 15 / 20 mins late. Now, for me, when a meeting starts at 9am, Im there 8.55am, as I see latness as being rude. Its always the same few people that turn up late. Ive even noticed that even when they know they have a meeting ,they turn up late on purpose to somehow protrait an image that they are so busy.

During these meetings, I turn my phone to silent, or off. Not here, god no, these same few people leave their phone's on, and if it rings, answers it and goes outside. This is me suggests that the phone call is far more important than the meeting, and the meeting can wait, annoying especially when I know that call isnt important and can be delayed answering.

Ive even been to meetings where the key people just havent turned up as they couldnt be bothered, e.g. we need to discuss the design on a database server, the layout, storage requirements, etc etc, so important that the DBA needs to turn up, but cant be bothered.

Nothing is ever said on record about it, the various project managers tut, and dont like it, but nothing is ever done !

Public sector !

SBK

Last edited by Simon K; 26 November 2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 26 November 2009, 08:51 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Which Public Sector?

We (NHS) don't have overtalkers, but we do seem to have a fair amount of dead wood or people along for the ride.

No-one ever seems to get sacked no matter how long they're off sick or how little work they do.

Or its the complete opposite, where people work well over and above what they're expected to and think everyone else should to.

ie Daily 5.30pm conference calls when we'd normally finish at 4-4:30, Lunchtime meetings or meetings scheduled in the middle of nowhere when you'd expect to be home.
Old 26 November 2009, 09:02 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

I used to have 17:30 conference calls at my last contract. Many were a waste of time, as people were on the train, out shopping or driving home, so the surrounding nosies would deafen the call. These calls were silly, as the people that actually did the work / changes would be my colleague and I, who sat next to each other. :-) The other 18 people of so on the call were the various levels of managment, trying to pretend they were involved to keep thier noses in the trough.

My current contract is with Law Enforcement, and my previous one was with DEFRA, so have worked in various public sector areas before and know the scene. Yes, you cant get sacked here, everything is over kill, everyone knows thier rights, and seem to stay here for years. 70% do nothing, just come in, type a few emails, the other 30% do all the work. In this environment, the more you do, the more work you will get !!!

Luckily its my last day tomorrow, so am just going through the hang over / teach the people who will try and do my job when I leave. Im not sure how they will, as they dont know how to use vi or how to alter your login profile, so god knows how they will create / tune Zone / Containers in Solaris 10.

Been a long 9 months and although I will miss the £££, am glad to get out. Working in a totally 100% PC environment, where everything you say can be used against you, taken the worng way, is not for old SBK :-). Going to take December off and enjoy christmas.

SBK
Old 26 November 2009, 09:44 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Dont get me started on office annoyances!
Its so nice to be off sick!
Old 26 November 2009, 09:55 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon K
Everyone in my office over talks each other. If I sit here and try to explain something to a colleague, half way through the sentance my colleague is over talking me. In the 9 months Ive worked here, I doubt Ive ever managed to complete my sentance before I was either interrupted, spoke over, or the person Im talking to then trying to finish it for me !

Is it me ?? Or am I just unique and work in an office full of the most intelligent, know alls this fine country has to offer. I dont tend to over talk anyone. I let them finish, only speaking when they said thier point, or there's a period of quiet when I can speak. However in my current environment, I would never get to actually say anything. I find this so rude.

Also, arranging / atending meetings. There's always the same few people that turn up late to a meeting. No matter what time, how many days / weeks notice you give them, on average, people turn up 15 / 20 mins late. Now, for me, when a meeting starts at 9am, Im there 8.55am, as I see latness as being rude. Its always the same few people that turn up late. Ive even noticed that even when they know they have a meeting ,they turn up late on purpose to somehow protrait an image that they are so busy.

During these meetings, I turn my phone to silent, or off. Not here, god no, these same few people leave their phone's on, and if it rings, answers it and goes outside. This is me suggests that the phone call is far more important than the meeting, and the meeting can wait, annoying especially when I know that call isnt important and can be delayed answering.

Ive even been to meetings where the key people just havent turned up as they couldnt be bothered, e.g. we need to discuss the design on a database server, the layout, storage requirements, etc etc, so important that the DBA needs to turn up, but cant be bothered.

Nothing is ever said on record about it, the various project managers tut, and dont like it, but nothing is ever done !

Public sector !

SBK
I don't work in an office but I know exactly what you mean about people coming banging in while you are in a conversation and taking over while you were talking.

It is as you say, incredibly bad manners and shows selfish behaviour as well.

I find that if I wait until the interrupter is finished and go straight back in then I can then just say it straight that I had not finished what I was saying and would they mind waiting until I completed my conversation, that it usually works and sometimes I even get an apology!

It usually makes them realise that they are not as important as they thought they were.

Les
Old 26 November 2009, 10:02 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

We introduced a 5 minute rule: if you're 5 minutes or more late, then you're not allowed entry to the meeting. This usually means you'll end up being given a load of actions or decisions being made and agreed on your behalf.

Your management is also pretty weak to not be picking up on the poor behaviour and correcting it. The question is, if everyone's talking, who's actually listening (and just waiting for your turn to speak isn't listening!)?

Last edited by NotoriousREV; 26 November 2009 at 10:37 AM. Reason: your/you're. I'm embarrassed.
Old 26 November 2009, 10:04 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Also the talking over people. Just assume that the people doing it are, apart from being extremely rude, not actually listening to what is being said. They're busy trying to figure out what they're going to say next.

I'll second that. I deal with it in my own way by interrupting back, stating firmly "I have NOT finished speaking". Works most of the time as long as you use the correct tone.

As for turning up late, I agree, there are always a few that do. It depends on the person, their position and how important they are to the proceedings as to which tack to take.

NotoriousRev I like your 5 minute rule, I could see it working here - with the right management commitment.

Last edited by SJ_Skyline; 26 November 2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 26 November 2009, 11:04 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

What I do with meetings is when people turn up late is tell them sorry, but we've already started and they maybe turn up on time for the next meeting
Regarding phones - purposely tell them to turn off because its interrupting the flow or whatever else your discussing
As for people talking and butting in
Simply cut them off and tell them to wait until your finished
Works for me anyway, but gives you a reputation of being a bit of a b@stard

Last edited by urban; 26 November 2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 26 November 2009, 11:37 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

it seem increasingly acceptable to talk to someone who is in the phone - what's that all about!!!

years ago this was seen as the height of rudeness
Old 26 November 2009, 12:40 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
We introduced a 5 minute rule: if you're 5 minutes or more late, then you're not allowed entry to the meeting. This usually means you'll end up being given a load of actions or decisions being made and agreed on your behalf.
That's a great idea

I hope you don't mind but I've forwarded that to my boss, he'll love it

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Your management is also pretty weak to not be picking up on the poor behaviour and correcting it. The question is, if everyone's talking, who's actually listening (and just waiting for your turn to speak isn't listening!)?
The last two words of the original post should tell you all you need to know about the management structure
Old 26 November 2009, 01:02 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Public sector !

SBK
Funny, that, I am a DBA and just missed a meeting

I did say I wasnt going because I was doing something else.

I did work in Government, agree on the hangers on, sticking it out for the pension, also some big ego's are left to gestate.
Old 26 November 2009, 01:02 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelro
Which Public Sector?

We (NHS) don't have overtalkers, but we do seem to have a fair amount of dead wood or people along for the ride.

No-one ever seems to get sacked no matter how long they're off sick or how little work they do.

Or its the complete opposite, where people work well over and above what they're expected to and think everyone else should to.
Nobody is ever sacked because we've made it so damn difficult to do. Endless procedures and grievance hearings. It means that most managers dont have the time or patience to get rid of someone and just find ways to work around it.

Agree about the uber-keen ones aswell. I start at 8am, so no I wont be working later than 5 o clock and will frequently go home at 4.30 aswell If you are working for yourself or chasing a promotion, fine. Otherwise you're effectively getting paid less per hour than your colleagues.
Old 26 November 2009, 01:40 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

The first day of working for the Govnerment was an eye opener for me. My desk was next to a guy who was dressed as a goth ! A full blown Sisters of Mercy, goth !, white makeup, black clothes etc etc :-) I asked about the dress code and was told that its your human rights to wear what you feel comfortable in. The next day I worth combat shorts, t-shirt and did so for the next 4 years :-) Towards the end I was unshaved, shorts, ripped t-shirt, shower was optional !

JACKO, which flavour of DB are you ? Oracle ?? The DBA I work with, who's a permy, is an Oracle one, and has to be the worst one IVe end had the mispleasure of working with. Heknows the bear minium about ORacle to just be referred to as a DBA and its up to me, the contract Solaris SA, to sort out issues, problems and find the answers for him.

For example, there was a problem in some Oracle reports, and he couldnt fix it, he sent me the error to see if I could help, which I then googled, which straight away came back with a re-linking solution, which I forwarded to him. God knows why he couldnt do that.

Anyway, 10 mins later he came over and told me how he thought about the problem and needs to re-link the code. I told him I was glad the link I sent him, about re-linking, but he then tried to fob me off saying he hadnt looked at the email.

Really ?? funny how I had a reciept stating he'd opened it a minute after I sent it ! Amazing, why lie ? He's also told me how he's consulted for Oracle, at £1200 a day, but how come he doesnt understand the the RAID layouts on devices where redo / archi and dbf files live, or class paths / java homes and profile settings when install oracle 10g /11.

Everyone nowdays knows everything and about everything. If I dont know, I say Im not sure, but will research it and get back to you by the end of the day. At least you know where you stand, not here ! god no !

SBK

Last edited by Simon K; 26 November 2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 26 November 2009, 02:12 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Or the ones that rock up an hour plus after everyone else in the morning then p1ss off at 4.45 and nobody says anything.
Old 26 November 2009, 05:08 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
Agree about the uber-keen ones aswell. I start at 8am, so no I wont be working later than 5 o clock and will frequently go home at 4.30 aswell If you are working for yourself or chasing a promotion, fine. Otherwise you're effectively getting paid less per hour than your colleagues.
I work on Flexi time so if I stay late I don't lose out really.
Last week I came in at 10 and left at 4 with a nice long lunch in the middle
Problem with staying late is it takes at least twice as long to commute home so I try and avoid it if I can.
Old 26 November 2009, 06:26 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Public sector !

SBK
I'd be more inclined to worry about the fact your bosses/superiors etc. aren't picking up on this and doing something about it
Old 26 November 2009, 06:51 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the talking over thing is common now and other people interrupting your conversation to ask questions ..

Being late.. my boss is always late, not much I can do about it .. also doesn't answer phone calls or emails .. but goes ape **** if you ignore them ...

I think its more of a insecurity though .. always trying to prove they're the boss .. don't have to answer to you etc.
Old 26 November 2009, 08:23 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

It's the public sector, you will often find the ones that take calls on their mobiles pick this up form their manager who in turn gets it from their respective manager and so forth.

I had it in a meeting recently where there guys were checking their BB's and I (as a contract project manager) threw my toys out and told them in no uncertain terms that they were being rude and disrespectful to the suppliers in this meeting by checking their BB's.

Point made and it's not happened again.

Poor meeting etiquette is rife in public sector bodies and is often due to poor managment and bad practicies...
Old 27 November 2009, 08:21 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Im on flexi time here. I get in at 7am, as Ive always believed you can get things done to the system before the mass of users get in for 8:30 - 9:00am. I like to check backups, fix the odd little problem, even sneak in a quick reboot if I can before the tides of users start to log in. However, the other memebers of my IT team get in 10am ! 10am ! Shocking, that includes the boss.

Around 3:00pm I tend to leave, as I was told that I can not do over time and must limit myself to 37.5 hours a week. However, when I leave I get looks, "Going early?" is the common question, well considering I was in a 7am, and you **** were in at 10, Ive done my day.

Also, as the office empties around 4:30/5pm, these guys who really need to stay till 6pm to meet thier hours, go about 5:15pm as no one else is in.

I suppose it comes down to the permy / contractor expectations. Contractors are expect to work from the moment we get in, til we leave. PErmies seem to have a different view, one of "We here now, sacking us is damn to hard, so I will do what I like ". Ive also got to know my area of expertise 100%, all the in's and outs, but if I ask these guys here similar questions, there are clear holes in thier knowledge.

Its 8:21am, and Im the only one currently in the IT team here !!! amazing.

SBK

Last edited by Simon K; 27 November 2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 27 November 2009, 09:18 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

and you're on scoobynet
Old 27 November 2009, 09:22 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Im always on scoobynet ! :-) Only thing which makes me laugh all day !

SBK
Old 27 November 2009, 09:27 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

No-one ever seems to get sacked no matter how long they're off sick
Ironically I'm off sick today
Old 27 November 2009, 09:50 AM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Ironically I'm off sick today

< Sir Allan Sugar voice on >

You're Fired

< Sir Allan Sugar voice of >

Old 27 November 2009, 09:57 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaunywrx
< Sir Allan Sugar voice on >

You're Fired

< Sir Allan Sugar voice of >

<Spelling Pedant>

</Spelling Pedant>

Originally Posted by hutton_d
On a Friday? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm .... Got a good weekend planned ...?

Dave

No unfortunately - Should have been off yesterday really, but was having to cover for someone who's on long term sick...

Last edited by michaelro; 27 November 2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 27 November 2009, 10:15 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Around 3:00pm I tend to leave, as I was told that I can not do over time and must limit myself to 37.5 hours a week. However, when I leave I get looks, "Going early?" is the common question, well considering I was in a 7am, and you **** were in at 10, Ive done my day.

SBK
Amen to that. I almost feel guilty when I leave at 4.20-4.30 despite having done my time, because nearly everyone else is still there. Same comments occasionally
Old 27 November 2009, 11:10 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

I was all geared up for WFH today

...and then I was told I need to attend a meeting in person at an office 50 miles away this afternoon. Who the hell schedules meettings for Friday bloody afternoon?

I still love my job though (in a kind of sick and twisted way)
Old 27 November 2009, 03:31 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Everyone in my office over talks each other.
I bet you are 30 something like me right? I completely agree about all your observations in the workplace. Sign of the times really. The younger generation have had no discipline and/or learn't respect, as their parents never experience the same either, hence why alot (not all) of younger people in a working environment that you have to converse with are just plain rude. It will only get worse to. I see a robocop scenario happening where rape,pillage,murder and anarchy on the streets is an hourly occurance, oh wait that's happening now