Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

im always ''ill''. is anyone else ?

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2009, 02:07 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I worry about this also dealing with customers every day but my cup is always half full so I just think it will do my immune system some good. Having little ones at home does make me think more as I obviously do not want to pass anything on.

Hey stuff em, lets wear face masks like they do in japan!
Old 25 November 2009, 02:11 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

My guess is that it's your job. Since I got out of the office environment I have greatly reduced my contact with other humans and time spent in pubilc places. I get less of these niggly illnesses now. That said, I have a sore throat and runny nose right now - lol!

Perhaps it would be a good idea to keep anti-bacterial wipes or spray in your cab and use them frequently during the day. Be sure to use them before handling any food or touching your mouth or face for any reason.
Old 25 November 2009, 02:16 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Crap diet probably doesn't help. I bought a big pack of multi-vits again last night as I've not used them for years. No idea if they are useful in anyway but I defo won't get all I need from my diet, so no harm I guess. Do you not have those glass screens between you and the punters anyway?
Old 25 November 2009, 02:26 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Ah right, so you are driving buses that other guys have been driving that day as well. Defo use anti-bacterial wipes on major controls and steering wheel when you get in. I'd bet that's where you are picking stuff up from. Driver before you has cold and wipes his snivel with hand, then he touches gearknob and germs are there until you touch it later in the day.
Old 25 November 2009, 02:27 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I'd also be willing to bet it's probably safer to lick the bog seat in your house than your steering wheel at work!!
Old 25 November 2009, 02:40 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Wife is a hairdresser and often picks up colds etc. Last one she had was a real hum dinger and lasted nearly a week before easing off.
Old 25 November 2009, 02:54 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by HT04
. just looking at your user i.d, is that adam from 'the clinic' ?

dan

Yup tis mio.

Bloomin ill customers eh!

Old 25 November 2009, 03:17 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

The missus has basically been riddled with death, ever since she started teaching dirty little kids

Thing is that i never seam to catch anything, personally i found that most other self employed people also seam to be resilient to these "killer" germs for some reason.

Its a good laugh winding her up
Old 25 November 2009, 03:48 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brother is a doctor over the pondand is almost never ill despite all sorts coming in to see him, although he was semi pemanently ill when he was a young doc. He reckons he has developed a generally iron immune system from all the exposure over the years "That which doesn't kill you, will make you stronger..."

He is a fitness and hygiene freak mind, so a good diet and Saxo's advice about cleaning your "office" is good advice
Old 25 November 2009, 03:55 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

How long have you been driving the buses? I remember reading somewhere that new teachers are expected to be off 25% of the time in their first 2 years until their immune system sorts itself out and we found when we sent our son to nursery we seemed to be constantly suffering and now we hardly get any.
Old 25 November 2009, 03:58 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I am sure that folk who know more than me will whisper poor immune system so I do think you need to ask your GP.

My wife was a dentist for many years working feet away from open mouths etc and hardly ever got ill. My son taught scruffy kids and stayed healthy. So I think it is mostly you rather than your working environment. Bloody nuisance though. dl
Old 25 November 2009, 06:00 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up

its simple, You London bus drivers r DIRTY!!! You guys change drivers on one bus proberly 2/3times in one day. Now think, first driver comes in to start the day off by sneezing, coughing within the driver seat area along with public's mone.y have been passed around up & down the UK with other germs which you have to deal with as you can not see germs
now times that by the numbers of drivers & publics coming on & off the bus. Your just doing your job but clearly you have to use your finger's/hands to do the job but b'cos you cant see the gearms around you, example u've been pressing buttons on the ticket machine which has germs but you might end up cleaning your face around the lips/nose area & u might end up licking your lips or even sniff up & b4 you know it its inside you & your ill!!!

U would be supriced of the amount of germs around you on a daily basis, I only tho of the money bit but thinking of a poor person on da road who hasnt even had a bath but ends up buying food for himself which da change does end up going out to somone else, its a big circle which just carrys on untill people start to wash there hands & keeping clean.

I knwo for sure that busses dont ever get cleaned even if it does its only a lil tiney bit for the nacked eye! not the handles which the public hold on to, not even the bloody trains so you can forget about the drivers area pal !!! I bet you must be thinking wtf this is soo true but its a crazy world which no one really gives a t0ss sad really, I hope u keep fit & well mate
Old 25 November 2009, 07:03 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

To be honesty im the complete opposite - i cant remember the last time i had a cold let alone flu ( probably childhood for the latter) ,im 43

I work alone which is the obvious contributor and no family , girfrienf tho

i expect to be struck totally if i ever come into contact with who of these piggy/bird types
Old 25 November 2009, 07:10 PM
will_wrx
Scooby Regular

I've had years in a row where I have been fine, then these last 2 years have been horrible!

I've had really bad colds, sinusitis (sp) and stomach problems all year.

The doctor told me it could be caused by stress!

Old 25 November 2009, 08:05 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

eating patterns , alcohol intake , your job has something to do with it id emagine and you never go out in the rain
Old 25 November 2009, 08:30 PM
tkws5606
Scooby Regular

just think how many people a day you get to make ill when you are sick not much help i know but a little payback always raises a smile
Old 26 November 2009, 12:19 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Positive mental attitude and a desire not to be ill works for me. I've seen people coming down with colds/flu all around me and neary a sniffle. I've had no sick days in 5 years at my present company and only 1 in 7 years at a previous & that was 'cos I took my back out :s

I (now) keep fit and eat fruit every day but never used to. Also I'm not worried about a bit of dirt on my veg when preparing or if I drop supper on the floor, put it back on the plate and eat it - why waste it? So I also rarely get stomach upsets and can't recall the time I was actually sick that wasn't severe alcohol induced.

Good to be sanctimonious but it works for me
Old 26 November 2009, 08:27 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

James

Now you've tempted fate like that, I predict a weekend of the screaming trots, pukes and fever coming your way shortly
Old 26 November 2009, 09:24 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Positive mental attitude and a desire not to be ill works for me. I've seen people coming down with colds/flu all around me and neary a sniffle. I've had no sick days in 5 years at my present company and only 1 in 7 years at a previous & that was 'cos I took my back out :s
Agreed, i dont think i have ever took a sick day, EVER!!!
I did take 2 pre planned weeks off when i was around 19 as i had an operation and could not move my leg, i was supposed to be off for around 1-2 months, but as i was self employed i had to drag myself in and get on with it.

When i applied for the Nissan job the interviewer asked the question regarding sickness and i told him about the 2weeks, they were actually just about to boot me out as a lazy ****** till i explained that i was self employed, had no holidays for the past 2 years, and i was supposed to be off for a lot longer then 2 weeks. To be honest i think that sealed the deal, and they seamed delighted that they had found a grafter
I spoke to the interviewer about 6 months later and he told me that they were just about to dismiss me as they figured i was just another lazy git.

I just don't tend to get sick, my immune system laughs in the face of people who have a little bit of a runny nose and have to spend the day in bed, i have spent most of my working life so far as self employed so taking a day off when you have a poorly little sniffle-nose is not an option, i did actualy spew up 2 months back, the first time since i was a child!!! but that was because a feckin salmon bone got caught at the back of my throat and i had to shove my bloody hand down my neck to dislodge it

Watch me get some kind of killer brain cancer next week
Old 26 November 2009, 09:26 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Do you take asthma inhalers? They make you more prone to colds.

Also buy a can of this:

a box of these:

some of these:

And don't pick your nose whilst driving! Seriously what germs that gets on your hands via teh steering wheel or whatever you touch, gets up your nose, and into your nasal tract, which is the ideal breading ground for cold/flu germs, as well as other nasty fungi and bacteria (like MRSA).

Personally, I wouldn't leave the house and live in a plastic bubble

Last edited by ALi-B; 26 November 2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 26 November 2009, 10:14 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Certainly sounds like a combination of your working conditions and the hours you work as well. Not very healthy I reckon.

As above you may develop a stronger immunity eventually but there is not much you can do about the shifts you work.

Les