flashed by camera - no NIP?

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2009, 01:21 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Default flashed by camera - no NIP?

A couple of weeks back I moved house. On the same weekend, I got flashed by a camera - typical. First time in 10+ years of driving and it happens just as I move.

I sent the V5 docs off on Monday to notify the DVLA of the address change, but have heard nothing from the police/cps regarding a NIP.

Is there any way to find out if they've sent out the NIP to the wrong address, apart from going around to the old house, as the current tenants helpfully bin all post not addressed to them?

If they did indeed send the NIP to the old address, what would happen if I didn't respond? Would they try to send another one out to the "right" address, or is that it and I'll get a 1000 pound fine?
Old 04 November 2009, 02:58 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrik
A couple of weeks back I moved house. On the same weekend, I got flashed by a camera - typical. First time in 10+ years of driving and it happens just as I move.

I sent the V5 docs off on Monday to notify the DVLA of the address change, but have heard nothing from the police/cps regarding a NIP.

Is there any way to find out if they've sent out the NIP to the wrong address, apart from going around to the old house, as the current tenants helpfully bin all post not addressed to them?

If they did indeed send the NIP to the old address, what would happen if I didn't respond? Would they try to send another one out to the "right" address, or is that it and I'll get a 1000 pound fine?
The only thing I can think of is to check at your old address if a Nip has appeared. At least you will know if you have got one or not and can act accordingly. The tenants should be able to give you a clue anyway.

Les
Old 04 November 2009, 03:03 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Being flashed doesn't necessarily mean you've been caught, unless it was a digital Gatso?
Old 04 November 2009, 04:32 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I certainly wouldn't go chasing it

Did you not get the Royal Mail to redirect your post for you? Always found it a very useful service whenever I've moved
Old 04 November 2009, 04:44 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

You have a defence, Not against the speeding but for the non payment. If you did get caught and you fail to answer the NIP then your car will get flagged up on ANPR and in the future you will get pulled for it.
If you can prove the dates you moved match the date of the offense, and you claim you had no idea you had been caught then you should just face the original charge.

However if there was any latency in the address chage it will be argued that you tried to get out of the ticket and you could get 6 points and a grand fine.

But as above a flash does not mean you have 100% been caught. Plus with the postal strikes a lot of tickets will be getting argued out of court.
Old 05 November 2009, 12:13 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Probably no film it - old type of camera.

I got flashed on the A1 3/4 times on the A1, New Year's Eve 1999, on my way to a party.

Nothing came of it.

Moving though, isn't a defence.... It's not the fault of the authority that caught you that you moved.
Old 05 November 2009, 12:47 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Not so, his defence would go along the lines of;

1) S172: that he didn't receive the notice(s).
2) There is no evidence of the driver ID.

As far as S172 is concerned, the prosecution cannot deem service via S7 Interpretation Act 1978 , because the address is wrong. They therefore have to prove, to a criminal standard, that he got it (them).

Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (whether the expression "serve" or the expression "give" or "send" or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have been effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post

Trending Topics

Old 05 November 2009, 12:56 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Yes.

Moving house isn't the defence; not living where it's served is.

The car then gets hit with the marker, and the poor person that buys it (legit) has to explain away all the tickets, etc. that are fixed to it.

Buyer beware

Last edited by fatherpierre; 05 November 2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05 November 2009, 07:11 AM
tkws5606
Scooby Regular

Is it true that if you do not receive a NIP within 14 days of the offence it is not valid or is this just an urban myth?
Old 05 November 2009, 08:20 AM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Did the camera flash once or twice ? 1 flash don't mean jack! 2 flash means your fooked!
Old 05 November 2009, 08:33 AM
Agent_Smith
BANNED

Even two flashes dont mean its a definate mate. Sometimes they go to a person who checks distance covered against white lines on roads as well as the digital readout but only if they on the margin mate.
Old 05 November 2009, 11:40 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Does anyone know who I could query to see if they sent one out? If they did send one out, I'd like to pay it (don't do the crime and all that..)...

Matters are further complicated because it's my wifes car, and if she ends up with a conviction because of my driving, she'll do bad things to my *****.

I was probably doing an indicated 36-37 when I got flashed, and yes, flashed twice.

I don't know what type of gatso it was, but it was on the A13 heading east out of london towards the blackwall tunnel. In that massive tunnel as you go eastwards.
Old 05 November 2009, 11:41 AM
Agent_Smith
BANNED

Theres nothing you can do Bro. You cant phone up the police and ask if you have been ticketed LOL
Old 05 November 2009, 03:46 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
Does anyone know who I could query to see if they sent one out? If they did send one out, I'd like to pay it (don't do the crime and all that..)...
TBH I would just forget about it for now.
The chances are, if you never reply to the NIP you will eventually get one to your new address...

HTH.