Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

iPhone user seeks Blackberry advice

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2009, 03:31 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy iPhone user seeks Blackberry advice

I'm starting a new job in a few weeks and will have to give up my current, beloved and works provided for a Blackberry (new company standard).

What's the best Blackberry for someone who comes from the other (better) side to use? I use my iPhone mainly for web browsing, email, twitter and facebook.
Old 03 November 2009, 04:26 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

OK short and sweet.

If you need 3G and the phone must be ordered NOW... Bold 9000
" " can be ordered for a few weeks, Bold 9700

If you DONT need 3G but need the phone NOW, Curve 8900
" " can be ordered for a few weeks, Bold 9700

For what you use it for, Facebook for smartphones, Ubertwitter, and a few other apps will have you back in a happy place in no time.

Hope that helps, anymore questions, fire away
Old 03 November 2009, 07:27 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I'd bet your BES admin would put a stop to downloads, and surfing on non business related sites such as faceache.
Old 04 November 2009, 09:14 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
I'd bet your BES admin would put a stop to downloads, and surfing on non business related sites such as faceache.
I'd bet he won't as he'll be working for me
Old 04 November 2009, 09:15 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Snazy, thanks for the advice. The Storm looks very iPhone-like. Is this a worse phone than the Bold?
Old 04 November 2009, 11:49 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Prepare for disappointment!

Web browsing on my 8900 is a poor experience compared to the iphone, you quickly grow accustom to things like pinch/zoom scrolling up the page with a finger wipe etc.

Email on my 8900 (with BES) beats the iphone experience hands down though.

Ive yet to find a BB app thats comes close to iphone app, twitter is a great example.

Does anyone know a decent twitter app for the BB?
Old 04 November 2009, 02:28 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
Prepare for disappointment!

Web browsing on my 8900 is a poor experience compared to the iphone, you quickly grow accustom to things like pinch/zoom scrolling up the page with a finger wipe etc.

Email on my 8900 (with BES) beats the iphone experience hands down though.

Ive yet to find a BB app thats comes close to iphone app, twitter is a great example.

Does anyone know a decent twitter app for the BB?
That's my worry. I could always get my own iPhone but don't want to carry 2 phones everywhere

When I start my new job, I'll be looking to phase BES out just to ditch Blackberry all for cost-saving reasons, of course

Trending Topics

Old 04 November 2009, 02:41 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Storm will be ok when os 5.0 officially arrives, but Storm 2 is superior and has os 5.0, wifi, better camera and is now available.

There are plenty of Storm 2 v 3GS reviews if you Google.
Old 04 November 2009, 02:44 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol all that said and done.....

The 8900/9700 are very capable at doing what they were designed for.
The facination of how pretty apps are to use etc confuses the hell out of me.
I want to send a text, as long as words appear and send when they should, im happy.
Twitter..... how can that be complex? lol (although I have heard lots of people wanting a decent Twtter app, personally I hate the whole concept)

BB's seem to be doing ok, as they are becoming a VERY common sight on buses and trains, and on the street these days. So it cant all be bad.
But NO.... a BB will NEVER be an iPhone (thank god lol)

The Storm, personally I hate it, some think its nice. The Storm 2 is about to launch with much improved function etc. Not my cuppa as I dont like touchscreens.

Have a look through the Storm 2 forum on Crackberry
BlackBerry Storm2 9550/9520 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
Old 04 November 2009, 04:27 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Snazzy, I'll tell you how twitter works for me, I use it for sharing technical IT topics, asking questions etc and following key developers of technology I am interested in.

Used in that manner, I actually find it a useful resource for work, not some idle chit chat tool.
Old 04 November 2009, 04:41 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
Snazzy, I'll tell you how twitter works for me, I use it for sharing technical IT topics, asking questions etc and following key developers of technology I am interested in.

Used in that manner, I actually find it a useful resource for work, not some idle chit chat tool.
lol fair play mate. By your summary, you have the same view of the general use of the app as me.
Its good that there is a positive use for it thought.

BBM 5.0 has a group chat feature, which can be used for similar too. Or just abused by Sinky and Ant as it is recently
Old 04 November 2009, 05:10 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

My two pen'th...
Use Blackberrys at work. Started off with a Pearl; basic - phone + email. Upgraded to a Storm - not supported by our IT, BES IT policy wouldn't let me download any apps. Had policy relaxed so as to install said apps. Great - policy reapplied, apps won't run.The Storm is a POS, hate it with a passion. Not supported by our IT whose IT policies are draconian to say the least. So, I'm back with my trusty Pearl as phone + email. Strangley, for busness use that's all I want/need.

Jaybird has a valid use for Twitter. No hope of getting our BES guys to go for that. Though, perversely, our internal network allows FB and Myspace (I think) for 30 mins per day as "employee engagement".

IMO if you want a business device with no frills ie phone, email etc then Blackberry wins. If you want a toy (sorry, cutting edge doodad) that can, amongst other wonderful things, access your company email (infrastructure permitting) then have an iThingy. It might just be our work environment but I have a number of colleagues who have had Blackberries, moved to iPhones then moved back.
Old 04 November 2009, 05:19 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Pearl eeew, how could you lol. Just kiddin, whatever suits your needs really

On the CB forum there are always threads about people who have gone both ways, from i to BB and back again, and vice versa. At the end of the day its really about what you feel best using.

For me, a touch screen will never give me what I need from a phone. I like the feel of real keys, and prefer having a physical keyboard.

Back on the OP's comments. Have a look on Crackberry.com forums for reviews etc on the said apps. Im sure that even the ugly versions of the apps will still offer the practicality of its prettier cousins.