Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Help please - Private Car Clampers!!

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2002, 11:21 AM
CaptainBeakie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Just thought I'd post this due to frustration and for your comments/recommendations:

Anyway, my girlfriends father was making a u-turn in a private carpark. It's owned by a pub in the village the live in. He's in is 60's and his wife was getting something from the post office which is next door.

So he is having to do this 10 point turn because there is a builders van blocking the way and someone comes up to him and knocks on the glass. So he stops the car and opens the window,

Chap 'This is private car park mate, you can't park here'
G/F Dad 'I know, I turning round know as you can see'
Chap 'Well mate you can't park here or you'll be clamped'
G/F Dad 'Yeah I know, I just getting out of here now'
Chap 'No mate, you don't understand. It's a private car-park and you can't leave tell to get your clamp removed!'
G/F Dad 'What clamp mate?'

Little did he know that this s***e was stalling him, whilst this chaps brother came along and clamped him on the other side of the car!!!

It cost him £50 for the priviledge. They made £50 for 30seconds work.

Now as I understand it, isn't this a case of entrapment? The police don't want to know.

The pub who's carpark is, agreed that it was out of order. Yet won't do anything about it.

6 people had be clamped that morning. Even the charity shop which is 2 doors along, has signs in the window telling people about the clamping in the carpark. So people don't park up if they are making donations.

Are there any regulations/registers for these private car clamping companies?
Can they also charge anything they want?

What's the best course of action to get these b$%^&rds!!!
Old 15 March 2002, 11:33 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy

lol thats gotta be illegal, surely you cant clamp someone if the car is still running/moving, owner inside etc ???? dirty bast4rds [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Without any witnesses its his word against the thieving scum though, so I guess thats why the police cant be bothered. You wont get anything / refund / apology
Old 15 March 2002, 11:43 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Very nasty...

I can think of lots of things you could do but nothing legal...

If they are doing this to a number of people then I'd go into the Police station and kick up a stink.. but if your G/F Father is the only one you know of where he was only turning around etc..
I think there must be some law as to how long you can park there..
You have to be abvle to drive in and see the signs saying clamping etc and then go oh and drive out again....

I have experianced landlords getting annoyed for people using his carpark even though he is shut...

Goodluck with sorting something.

Could you report the company to trading standards?
Old 15 March 2002, 11:59 AM
CaptainBeakie
Scooby Regular

Cheers Guys,

Trading Standards - a good idea.

So far, he's been on local radio and has had an interview with the regional paper.

A friend has said that if you remove the clamp with out damaging it, that's fine. Though that would have been a little difficult with two blokes hanging around asking for money.

Anymore suggestions?

How about 'astraboys' dirtytricks guide????????

Old 15 March 2002, 12:03 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Do it again in a transit van...

when they come to clamp you, 8 of your mates pile out the back with pick axe handles and kick 7 shades of **** outta them - then bundle their twitching corpses into the back, drive to some wasteland and burn their bodies...after robbing them to get the cash back..

[legal disclaimer - dont do this cos its norty...]
Old 15 March 2002, 12:05 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

Go an buy four clamps, wait till they are on their tea break, stil a clamp on each one of their wheels....

Charge them £100 per wheel to have them removed, if they take the clamps off themselves, sue them for criminal damage to your personal property.....

If all else fails, chin the c*nt!

Paul
Old 15 March 2002, 12:06 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

Why was he in the car park doing the U-turn in the 1st place??
Old 15 March 2002, 12:11 PM
CaptainBeakie
Scooby Regular

Seejay,
Small tight roads round the village, along with quite a bit of traffic using the roads. It seems sensible to use the area to turn around and not cause any congestion, also to pick up the wife who has a little trouble with her legs.

POC, Richard.
Trust me I've thought of similar things myself. Though it's asking a bit much of my mates to travel 200 miles to beat 9 colours of S**** out of them. Then again ..........

Old 15 March 2002, 12:55 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

I know it's of little consolation, but I've always sworn that I would run the *******s over if they tried that trick on me. Of course, whether I'd do it when I'm 60 is another matter.

Are there any independant witnesses?

The most effective revenge is something that doesn't involve you breaking the law, but which stops their revenue stream. Maybe hang around the car park for a few days and warn everyone who goes in what they can expect. If you stand on the pavement, you're on public property. Might get you shouted at, but a mate with a video camera should come in handy if they try to get physical.

Good luck.
Old 15 March 2002, 01:05 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Cost of removal of the clamp?
50squid.
Cost of a screwdriver and their Van's plates going missing?
Priceless.

astraboy.
Old 15 March 2002, 01:54 PM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Wink

Go in the Pub see the landlord and inform him of the publicity regarding the company he is employing, buy a shed of a car for £50 and leave it in the car park, when they clamp it put glue in the locks so the can’t get the clamp off and leave the car there for ever. To get rid of the car they must pay for dumping it and loose the clap due to the glue in the lock.

Daz.

These are my Views and not Scoobynets.

[Edited by Darren Thompson - 3/15/2002 1:55:33 PM]
Old 15 March 2002, 02:07 PM
Sparks
Scooby Regular

I was led to believe you cannot clamp a car on private properly unless there is a sign clearly stating that clamping is in operation ? If there was no sign this might help ?

Heard about instances where signs were obscured, and the company were taking advantage.. They ended up refunding all who complained and had to move the signs so they could be seen easily...
Old 15 March 2002, 02:13 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

You can legally remove the clamp your self, providing you do not damage it. How??

Deflate tyre fully, move clamp to side, undo nut, turn wheel a bit, undo another nut, you will need to jack the car up and down. When you have undone all the nuts, push the deflated tyre under the chains (you may need 2 of you for this) it will take about an hour, but then you can just hand it back to them.
Old 15 March 2002, 02:25 PM
CaptainBeakie
Scooby Regular

Wink

I understand the principles of getting out of a clamp. However it's a bit much to ask in this case.

On a slightly different note:-
My brother had one of those folding bollards locked into place after he parked somewhere. He just went to his van (works one) and nudged it a bit, then went in the back a took out his 14 pound hammer. Oops the lock fell off and he drove home.
Not saying this is right, but I wouldn't mess with a man and his hammer!!
Old 15 March 2002, 02:31 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I wonder if they scratched either the paintwork or a wheel / wheel trim when they put the clamp on? If so, I would then make a
complaint to the local police of criminal damage.
Old 15 March 2002, 02:31 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

What you need is to know a man with some dodgy tenners or twenties.
Have fun then paying them.
Alasdair
Old 15 March 2002, 02:34 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I'm with the superglue idea. Although, one tube of glue could probably do at least 10 of their vehicles To$$ers [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 15 March 2002, 02:53 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

CB,
It's a bit quiet in commercial law land so I've had a bit of a search for you. Sparks is about right. Questions first. Is/was there a notice up prohibiting parking? Did it say that clamping was in operation? If there's a notice up then, technically people who park there are trespassing. If there's a notice up re clamping, people are taken to have consented to the risk of their car being clamped. In your father in law's case, it sounds as though he wasn't even parking so that even if there was a notice then these people have probably acted wrongly. I'm not surprised the police aren't interested - it's a civil matter. Legal answer is for father in law to sue clamping company and/or pub owners for return of clamping fee. If the car was damaged by them, the repair costs should be included in any claim. If you can show that the clampers acted maliciously you might get "exemplary" damages (that means damages to punish them for being naughty!) but it wouldn't be much. Lots of hassle I know so it depends on how strongly your father in law feels about it all. Other suggestions - apart from the illegal ones!! - put some pressure on the pub owners as suggested above by someone. 'Phone the local paper to see if they are interested. See if you can catch them on video doing it again. The law does provide a remedy but it's a ***** ache. Cheers.

[Edited by seejay555 - 3/15/2002 3:48:34 PM]
Old 15 March 2002, 02:55 PM
Nikko2
Scooby Regular

Angry

Grrr! Bang out of order.

My mum saw a rather posh range rover driven by a rather scruffy gent with a very very thick irish accent park on a grass verge at the local hospital A+E. Minutes later someone clamped it. On his return he opened his boot took out some huge bolt cutters cut off the clamp stuck it in his boot and took it with him.

You might want to hire a van/car similar to the clampers. Put on some copies of there plates and do some passes of the local gatsos.

Really **** em off by learning how to remove the clamps without damage and then advertise your services around the favorite haunts.

Old 15 March 2002, 03:30 PM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

This is again another example of the fine line of the law where rip off merchants desquised as legitimate businesses can blatantly flaunt the limits of the law and get away with it. And once again an innocent person gets exploited and riped off and there's nothing that can be done, because it's legal and just slips under that fine fine line.
Old 15 March 2002, 03:54 PM
CaptainBeakie
Scooby Regular

corner

Sorry couldn't help it. It's my first corner and it's my thread!!

[Edited by CaptainBeakie - 3/15/2002 3:56:53 PM]
Old 15 March 2002, 03:56 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Angry

Oi, Beakie NO !
Old 15 March 2002, 04:08 PM
Luke
BANNED

No sign...Not legal to clamp. Sign must be vislble. Was your father given a full receipt complete with VAT and company details??? If so .phone tax office and report them... Maybe they are not VAT registered... but still charging it. Are they insured???? Are the operators employed or signing on......

These companies tend to be scum . I think the best thing to do is find out where their office is and use your imagination... "CUE ASTRABOY"!!!!!!

They laughed taking your dads money... Have a laugh on them.

Richard Askew !!! And I got a e-mail from you about one of my posts??? Your a nutter ( But one with good ideas!!)

Luke.

Once got agro from a traffic warden about parking. Told/showed him i was still in gear with the hand brake off moving VERY VERY slowly!!! Thuck all he could do!!!
Old 15 March 2002, 05:07 PM
CaptainBeakie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks Guys,
Yeah there were signs, though he was in the car and it was running he was moving (abeit slowly in a manoeuvre).

Just shows these f&*kers will pick on anyone for a quick buck!

Unlucky for them, G/F's father is not a man to be messed with and will ensure somethings done about it!

Also found this snippet below;

http://www.micklethwait.demon.co.uk/clamworl.htm

Here are some extracts:

In England and Wales its perfectly legal for private landowners to try and keep unwanted vehicles off their property. There are no enforceable regulations. The only guidelines come from a Court of Appeal ruling which says signs must be clear and charges reasonable.

In practise its a free for all. But in Scotland, clamping is completely outlawed.

Thanks everyone once again and have a great weekend!!
Old 15 March 2002, 05:57 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I would ABSOLUTELY challenge them on the definition of "parking". When you're stuck in a traffic queue you aren't parked, you're blocked.

Jerks.
Old 15 March 2002, 06:04 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Write to your MP.......it does sometimes help.
Old 15 March 2002, 06:31 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Burn the pub down....That'll teach them.
Old 15 March 2002, 06:40 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

The BBC do a program "rogue traders" maybe they would be interested?
AW
Old 15 March 2002, 08:06 PM
Luke
BANNED

The Pub employ (Sub contract ) the clamping company, I say the Pub is just to blame if they let them carry one like this... "Customs and Excise" could be given a tip off about dogy booze and ****!!!
Old 15 March 2002, 09:30 PM
nevr
Scooby Regular

was the pub open if yes car park becomes a public place, therefore illegal to clamp.
If still moving clampers demanding money with menaces(blackmail) Police should be informed criminal offence. If they clamp ask them to release and invoice you if they refuse call the police, they are committing criminal offences, arrest them yourself if you need to.
If you dont pay the invoice let them sue you in the small claims court.
If the pub landlord wont repay block the entrance to his carpark

Quick Reply: Help please - Private Car Clampers!!