Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2009, 08:08 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check here to see if crime is up or down in your area or even your road

Crime mapping for English and Welsh police forces - CrimeMapper

I am very happy to find out that the crime rate in my area is down

The average number of burglaries in this area has decreased from 7.3 to 4.7 (36.4%)
Old 21 October 2009, 08:27 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Overall crime has apparently decreased by 40%.

Not sure this is accurate or not, figures can easily be manipulated, and it depends how or if crime is being dealt with.
Old 22 October 2009, 04:29 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised the link to these maps has only just hit SN, they've been around for ages.

We were told by a senior officer that if each constable was to detect 4 crimes per month, he'd be happy. It worls out as 1.3 every set of shifts.

On Tuesday of this week, I detected and charged 3. I also had to cancel bail on three who were going to be charged(detected) on the same day, as the Injured Party would not attend the trial.

I'm not convinced there is a 40% decrease in crime. The recording rules are often changed, but having spoken to the entire shift, it's not unusual for each cop to be investigating anywhere between 18 and 26 crimes at the same time.

Before we can crime a burglary we have to contact either the DS on CID or an inspector, as the force are trying to reduce the number of recorded burglaries.

Instead, they will be an increase in theft from dwellings. This works by manipulaing thedefinitoin of burglary. It states that "a person must enter a building, or part of a building as a trespasser...." so, if someone calls in and says that someone they let in nicked something, the crime recorders say that the person wasn't a trespasser, so it must be theft from a dwelling, though technicaly, if you have any guest in your house, it's unlikely you give them permission to root through your underwear drawer.

As for the area I live, the severest crime of anti-social behaviour was phoned in when someone became upset about receiving a flyer from the BNP candidate just prior to the election this year.
Old 22 October 2009, 12:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that SW, looks like there is a fiddle going on in crime recording as well then. All down to people at the top arranging things so that they can tell their masters what they want to hear. All helps towards the KCMG and to hell with the truth anyway!

Les