Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What can i do?

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2009, 04:11 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry What can i do?

I own a Indago Snooper sat nav and paid £150 for the European mapping separately. Earlier this year my sat nav kept freezing up so i was told to send it in for repair or replacement. I was also told to send both the European and UK SD cards in at the same time so that they will work when the unit comes back.

Anyway i had used the European SD card that they had returned for UK journeys this year and the night before i went away i charged my unit up and then connected it to the pc to update the cameras etc. Then i went to put in the coordinates for the place i needed to get to in Majorca, pressed the screen for all countries and the last place i had visited came up, YORKSHIRE! In a nutshell the European mapping was missing, just the UK was on the card.

This was a Friday night and i was leaving for my holiday the following day. I called the people that i had sent my sat nav and cards to but no one was there as it was a Saturday. I was panicking as i didn't want to be without my sat nav on holiday as i have not long been driving on the wrong side of the road. So i went to Argos before i got the plane and bought a Garmin for £130 and took this with me on holiday.

When i got back home i called them straight away and told them what had happened, i had sent them my perfectly good European mapping and they returned it to me with it missing. I asked them if they would reimburse me bla bla bla and all they are prepared to do is send me a new SD card.

They seem to think they are doing me a favour by giving me a new SD card when it is them that foofed mine up.

Is there anything i can do to recover my losses?
Old 20 October 2009, 04:14 PM
eightballboy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Small claims court.

Did you get anything in writing from them? did you get them to sign for the delivery of your satnav and cards?

YOu may ahve a case to take to small claims court, got to worth a go.
Old 20 October 2009, 04:16 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Probably yes. You'll most likely have to fight them, and maybe even go down a legal route. But as far as I am aware it was their mistake so they are probably liable for the costs associated with their mistake.

Can you be bothered to fight them? Can you take back the new sat nav to Argos? Or may be just sell the new one on eBay. For the time it will take you to fight them, you may well be better off just to flog the new one.

You don't seem to have much luck
Old 20 October 2009, 06:25 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

I cannot take the unit back as the receipt says it is non refundable. I suppose this is because people would buy one, use it and say it was no good.

I have spoken to a consumer advise person and was told that i did not give the sat nav people a chance to put this right for me. I explained that i only found out on a Friday night and that it was out of hours, plus on a Saturday they were not open and on the same day i had to go on holiday. It does seem that i have no claim on them through the normal process. If i pursue them through the small claims court it will cost me £80 to get the ball rolling and i could end up losing that too.

I have written to Snooper asking them if there is anything they can do as i feel they have an obligation to put this right. I dont think i will get a satisfactory reply but i will see.

I could sell it on fleabay as a last resort but i will still lose out

I will wait for their reply and take it from there. Barstewards
Old 21 October 2009, 07:32 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

errrr - you should have checked it when it came back - sounds like they were pretty reasonable to me!
Old 21 October 2009, 08:11 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gordo
errrr - you should have checked it when it came back - sounds like they were pretty reasonable to me!

I had no reason to check that Europe was on the card. I used the same card for local journeys without a problem. I sent it to them intact and trusted that it would be returned to me in the same condition.

On the menue screen it said UK, Ireland and All Countries so i assumed like any other person would that it was all there.
Old 21 October 2009, 09:09 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Sorry Sara - I don't think you have a leg to stand on. They perfectly reasonably offered to send you a new card with the maps.

If you had agreed that it must be back and working in time for you to go in Mallorca then you may have recourse. Without that then I think their offer is reasonable.

Buying a new unit was your choice not theirs. It is a bit like your car being in for a service. Being delayed a bit so you go out and buy a new car. You would not have much luck there.

And, by the way, what the hell do you need Sat Nav for in Mallorca? Where is there to get lost
Old 21 October 2009, 09:30 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
Sorry Sara - I don't think you have a leg to stand on. They perfectly reasonably offered to send you a new card with the maps.

If you had agreed that it must be back and working in time for you to go in Mallorca then you may have recourse. Without that then I think their offer is reasonable.

Buying a new unit was your choice not theirs. It is a bit like your car being in for a service. Being delayed a bit so you go out and buy a new car. You would not have much luck there.

And, by the way, what the hell do you need Sat Nav for in Mallorca? Where is there to get lost
I know there is not much of a chance of anything positive coming out of it but i felt better getting it off my chest

if you know me then you will also know that i need a sat nav lol.