Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Car Boot Sales

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2009, 09:44 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Boot Sales

I can't believe that these events are still going strong. I expected that the novelty would have worn off years ago, but there are still thousands of people out there who enjoy spending their Sunday mornings in a field rifling through other people's junk.

Am I missing something? What is the attraction? Also do other countries have this culture or is it uniquely Anglo-Saxon, like train-spotting or Morris dancing?
Old 12 October 2009, 10:01 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Career car booters; Where else can you get a nil-tax income and be able to shift couterfeit/stolen goods?

More reliable than ebay; dealing face to face means cash in hand and no faffing with delivery.

Last edited by ALi-B; 12 October 2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12 October 2009, 10:24 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sometimes people find some real bargains and the sellers do pretty well, so everyone is happy!

Les
Old 12 October 2009, 01:41 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like going to them, and in the summer go most sundays (to buy)

i get of baby cloths from them, and have got a to of bargins.

new pressure washer £6
petrol generator (2.5 kw) £25
analon cooking knifs £5 each all new

and alot of other bargins

ones man rubbish is anothers treasure

Old 12 October 2009, 02:01 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

the best one was where a guy came to my stall and asked me how much for a brand new pair of nike air trainers stiil boxed with the price on £85 (which i got as a prezzie but were not my style and had been sitting in my closet for a year) i said £10 quid , to which he turned on his heals and walked lol

he must know somewhere that sells brand new nikes for less than a tenner lol **** , it was the look he gave me as he walked of which made me laugh.like i was ripping him off

the other one was a big nigerian woman barged through the crowd knocking 2 people over in the process to look at a ps2 and an xbox both with 2 controllers each and 15+ games and a suuroundsound system , shouting i want these , i want these , she then asked me my price to which i said £40 , she also looked at me funny while counting a wad of 20s , flicked the 40 quid at me scooped up all her loot and flung it in a bag and walked off shouting that i had cheated her !!!! hang on 2 working games consols 4x controllrs 15+ games and a surround sound system for 40 quid and i cheated her !!! i think not . the fat **** even slyed a digital camera that was sitting next to the games !!

some people are fooking weird !

its like a battle ground for penny pinchers
Old 12 October 2009, 02:18 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

Car boots can quite the Aladins cave. I have picked up plenty of items, particularly Jewellery and silver and made a killing by putting them through auction. You'd be surprised at the amount of people who have items signed quite clearly by very well known names and still think the items are junk. I for one hope they continue to produce the clueless vendors on a regular basis.
Old 12 October 2009, 04:09 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

We were selling a cooking blender for £2. Woman comes to the stoe and asks how much it was. She opens her purse at this and its full of pound coins. I told her it was £2, to which she said "will ya take 50p". I looked at her and said "no". She then stormed off in a huff.

Trending Topics

Old 12 October 2009, 04:18 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

.... another thing is at the end of the boot sales when people who haven't sold what they wanted leave all their junk in a big pile and just drive off. Within seconds the vultures pounce and start sifting through it. Tight *****, half the stuff would have been sold for about a quid, but these people have to wait until it’s getting ditched - I would be too embarrassed
Old 12 October 2009, 07:00 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Ha ha I've never been to one but I've heard the punters often wait near the entrance and open the boots of cars driving in so they can spot the "best" stuff first!
Old 12 October 2009, 07:21 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Theres one nearish to me on every sunday, Hemswell market. Has all the car booters at the top of a filed in rows and further down has the trader types. Get all sorts of bargains, usually from the traders, but occasionally me or the Mrs will spot a gem from a load of car booters junk.

I've noticed a lot of the immigrant (Polish especially) folk love a good sift through on a sunday as well.

Been a while since I actually did a car booty though, but regularly go for a mooch and something to do.
Old 12 October 2009, 07:27 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

i get lots of tools of there got a full roll of solder for 10p costs me £11 normaly son got a full face monster energy bike helmet £160 on ebay he got it for £20...new aswell
i go every sunday