Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

redundancy

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2009, 11:01 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default redundancy

I am being scored for redundancy anybody Know any good websites for advice on my rights above and beyond the basic of how much redundancy pay e.g. can i challange the criteria they are using to select which one of the three in my office being laid off, am i entitled to my notice being paid on an average of my wage over the last 12 months and not on the 4 day week we were forced into in August as i have always worked over time infact was contracted to work these hours if the company required me to as the 48 hour week is given up in joining the firm.
Old 08 October 2009, 11:18 PM
busby330
Scooby Regular

best people to talk to mate is ACAS
Acas - How can we help?
Old 11 October 2009, 10:51 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that, been looking in loads of places for advice
Old 11 October 2009, 11:17 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

The firm I work for has used point scoring lots of times and basically your screwed if they want to get rid of you ! It has nothing to do with 1st in and last out as its based on how others feel you are performing. Acas can't help you as its a recognised way of deciding who should be made redundant! Hope you score well On a plus side if you have been there for a long time its doubtfull they will get rid of you as its all about saving cash and a huge payout won't suit especially when they can apply stricter working rules and sack you for free
Old 12 October 2009, 07:33 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Steve we are using a points system to, so i will wait and see should know next week
Old 12 October 2009, 07:42 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was made redundant in August and the pay back then was capped at 350 a week times years served. It has gone up since to 380 quid a week from the 1st of October.
Old 12 October 2009, 08:23 PM
bigvern
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about this, I feel for you my wife is going through the same thing.

Length of service usually counts a lot, likewise sickness (they need to prove the days off) counts the other way. Disciplinary record, training records usually fall in there somewhere. But they must tell you how they are doing it (it has to be objective) and what points you get. You should be able to challenge this if you think you have a case. Are you in a Union?

Don't forget if you have to work your notice you employer has to give you paid time off to seek employment.

I found it useful to look at websites which have been written with the employer in mind with redundancy as it tells you what they must do to stop the redundancy becoming unfair dismissal...

Trending Topics

Old 12 October 2009, 09:37 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

No not in a union i am 1 of 3 contract managers for a medium size family firm.

I have looked at some of the things listed other than attendance and length of service and these seem very subjective like attitude to company, flexability, team work for example.
Old 12 October 2009, 10:30 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
I was made redundant in August and the pay back then was capped at 350 a week times years served. It has gone up since to 380 quid a week from the 1st of October.
Same as mine in June.

Put it this way no matter how much you have done for the company if they want you gone for what ever reason they will.

The scoring matrix whatever they use even if it is the suggested format from ACAS means nothing, and you have no legal right to see the scores of other people so at the end of the day you have only there word that your scored bottom.

When I had mine I contested the scores as they should show you what you scored for appeal purposes.

i raised several valid arguements to which they said they investigated and told me I was wrong basically, the truth of the matter is a couple of managers blatantly lied for the company saying they hadn't said things (which they had)

At the end of the day if you are unlucky to be picked contest it as best as you can, take the money and move on, it is a small world and taking it too far may cause you problems when you want to get another job, or even go back and you never know who you will bump into in your next job.

Its a kick in the boll*** especially if you earn way over the government set level (380 now as said above) as it can leave quite a shortflall on a months calculations.

I hope you survive and I feel for whoever gets picked, its not nice and you do feel a little rejected.

Good luck.
Old 12 October 2009, 10:45 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

PaulC72 thanks for the advice pretty much what i had thought.

None of us want to leave and the job market is very poor at the moment but i will be gutted if i am got rid of.
Old 13 October 2009, 12:38 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adrian F
PaulC72 thanks for the advice pretty much what i had thought.

None of us want to leave and the job market is very poor at the moment but i will be gutted if i am got rid of.
As I'm currently on GL, this is my 2p.

If you find something major wrong with the completion of the doc. Like, the form/paper says "do it this way" and they've done something else. You should think very carefully before drawing their attention to it. Doing so at the earliest stage merely gives them time to reorganise themselves and have another go.

At the end of the day though, if they select you and want rid, it's best to go but try to get the most out of it.

J.