Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Mikey, Amateur Cameraman, Has His Way

PistonHeads Headlines

Here we go again.
Old 30 September 2009, 05:37 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

"I would like to see the legal onus placed on motorists when there are accidents" says Phillip Darnton, chief executive of Cycling England.

This moron shouldn't be in left in charge of a toliet, let alone be a chief exec. What a tw@t.
Old 30 September 2009, 05:37 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

**** me, are they stupid or somthing?

th its fairly easy to get that kicked out, just go out and film some of the moves cyclists make.

i think they should make bike riders pass a test and have insurance
Old 30 September 2009, 05:38 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Why is the DFT funding a cyclist pressure group ?
Old 30 September 2009, 05:48 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

A few years ago, my mate was knocked off his motorbike by a 70 year old cyclist just cycling across the road. His bike was badly damaged, he had scrapes and cuts, but had too much integrity to go down the big injury claim road. It took him the best part of a year to get his money for damage to the bike, as the old feller obviously had no insurance. He had to sue him for it in the end. What if it was the other way round? The old codger would have been paid out almost straight away, and my mate would have been castigated for impersonating Evil Knievel.
Old 30 September 2009, 06:58 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Never let a good headline get in the way of the facts...

Hopefully, however, the proposals are little more than hot air. In fact a spokesman for the DfT, in a moment of uncharacteristic common sense, said: "This is something that gets raised by pressure groups from time to time. Cycling England has proposed it, but it is not something that is being considered by ministers."
Steve
Old 30 September 2009, 07:06 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Thats fine, Put the onus on the motorist after cyclist pay insurance, road tax, a bike type of yearly MOT to prove its safe. Stop at red lights. Get off foot paths, overtake on the outside of traffic, signal when turning, stop locking there bikes to my uncles railings at the front of his house. fit brake lights, all use night lights, pass a test to cycle on the road and have a license that can be taken away if they get to many points.
Old 30 September 2009, 07:12 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Timwinner
Thats fine, Put the onus on the motorist after cyclist pay insurance, road tax, a bike type of yearly MOT to prove its safe. Stop at red lights. Get off foot paths, overtake on the outside of traffic, signal when turning, stop locking there bikes to my uncles railings at the front of his house. fit brake lights, all use night lights, pass a test to cycle on the road and have a license that can be taken away if they get to many points.
Just draconian!! Love it!
Old 30 September 2009, 07:35 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

There are a lot of ignorant w@nkers riding cycles about just like there are driving cars.

May be even more (pound for pound) on cycles because some of them have no choice as they are too stupid to pass any sort of test to allow themselves motorised alternatives

The ones that make me laugh are the silly sods who have all the protective gear..... T.R.O.N helmet, arm and leg protectors, reflective clothing and flashing neon lights and then proceed to make the dumbest decisions on the road you have ever seen, putting themselves and others at risk...........total plankton!
Old 30 September 2009, 08:18 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

What about all the little ****** riding knackered old BMXs with no brakes
Old 30 September 2009, 08:31 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

There are a lot of ignorant w@nkers riding cycles about just like there are driving cars.

May be even more (pound for pound) on cycles because some of them have no choice as they are too stupid to pass any sort of test to allow themselves motorised alternatives
Of course a cyclist would never have his car at home in the garage and just choose to use his bike for exercise, enjoyment and a quicker commute to work whilst saving himself a shed load of cash and saving the car for longer journeys that merit it......

Hmmm
Old 30 September 2009, 08:39 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

The thing is, round this way, to call somebody "bent" means that they are a blatant ******.

So to excuse the pun, "Bent" Mikey can get "stuffed"
Old 30 September 2009, 08:51 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Some of the comments on here make me laugh. Do you guys think that all cyclists are middle aged men who still live with their mums whose favourite accessories are fluorescent arm bands and cycling clips?

So many other people cycle on the road, and I guess the majority of them own a car too!
Old 30 September 2009, 09:03 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
Of course a cyclist would never have his car at home in the garage and just choose to use his bike for exercise, enjoyment and a quicker commute to work whilst saving himself a shed load of cash and saving the car for longer journeys that merit it......

Hmmm
And thats why in my post you seem to be replying to, you can see the words "because some of them have no choice" ....the class of cyclist you mention above on average, are probably a lot safer due to having driving experience.
Old 30 September 2009, 09:07 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Some of the comments on here make me laugh. Do you guys think that all cyclists are middle aged men who still live with their mums whose favourite accessories are fluorescent arm bands and cycling clips?
Thats exactly what i think of cyclists

I seen one tonight lit up like a christmas tree with LED's too bad the visual range of these LED's was pretty **** making them pretty much a waste of time. Its dark, its wet, use a car.
Old 30 September 2009, 09:09 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes

So many other people cycle on the road, and I guess the majority of them own a car too!
My post was merely pointing out that the ones that make me laugh are the ones that have all the safety clothing/gadgets and then proceed to ride like absolute idiots, its the dichotomy of the situation that makes it amusing not the action of wearing safety clothing. I'm not making generalisms in my posts about ALL cyclists just the ones acting like cyclits
Old 30 September 2009, 11:25 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Thats exactly what i think of cyclists

I seen one tonight lit up like a christmas tree with LED's too bad the visual range of these LED's was pretty **** making them pretty much a waste of time. Its dark, its wet, use a car.
Thats why I spent £200 on lights, so I can be seen and see where I am going, I can see both sides of the argument as I love drivign and cycling, they arent mutually exclusive, and guess what it can actually be very enjoyable riding a bike when its dark and wet, you know, invigorating, a bit of an adventure rather than sat in my car listening to Chris Evans whilst I sit in my own farts we have become such a nation of lazy bleeders, scared of own shadows, terrified of being without a car for a day or two, moaning about the latest governmental **** paddling the motorist gets, the traffic, etc.

Guess what its liberating not being reliant on a car, I probably do thirty miles a week in it, seventy plus on the bike, I save enough money to pay for my Broadband.....

I rode nine miles tonight on the way home, via the leisure centre and swam a mile and I feel great,it justified for me, two cans of beer and a kebab. I have been commuting on my bike for a year and a half, wish I had done it years ago.
Old 30 September 2009, 11:53 PM
Lisawrx

I am largely a pedestrian/passenger in a car, and as such tend to spend time watching what other people do, and in all honesty so much of what I see is shocking and not restricted to a certain mode of transport in my experience.

The amount of people who don't know how to cross a road safely or sensibly, the amount of cyclists who don't ride either with respect for other road users (not just cars) or even care for themselves, and the amount of people on/in motorised transport who think the road belongs to them and them alone.

The fact is, it all comes down to having respect for other people whatever mode of transport they use from foot to wagon, having and using common sense, being safe if not for the benefit of others if that's too difficult, but for your own sake, and not being selfish out there.

To my mind, it doesn't specifically matter what method people are using to get about, but their attitude and manner in doing so. People need to be more considerate to those around them, and maybe then everyone can commute or get from A to B in peace.
Old 01 October 2009, 02:23 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Guess i will have to get the old Raleigh activator II out.

How many insurance claims before I have enough to afford a RB320 do you think it will take.
Old 01 October 2009, 09:00 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

And thats why in my post you seem to be replying to, you can see the words "because some of them have no choice" ....the class of cyclist you mention above on average, are probably a lot safer due to having driving experience.

Yeah, I'd agree with that 100%
Old 01 October 2009, 10:47 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Maybe if some cyclists tookthe opertunity to drive buses and/or HGVs daily. They quickly learn to stay well out of their way.

The onus is on the cyclist to keep themselves out of harm's way with the use of common sense; They are that much more vunerable so its in their best interest to look after themselves.

That being: knowing that vehicles cannot stop on a tuppance, don't have full visibility, the larger the vehicle the less manouverable it is in emergency situations, and the drivers of such vehicles maybe incompetant or concentraing too hard on whats happening infront to spot the brief glimpse of a cyclist trundling along in their blind spot.

Talking of cyclists playing roulette by unknowingly hiding in blind spots, how many do you see so pumped up and "in the zone" to be totally blinkered by everything around them; Pedestrians, blind junctions, traffics lights, nor any road traffic law?

Reminds me of the woman on the phone who hit a cylcist that ran a red light; It was her fault. But if cyclist used his brain he could avoided the accident and still be alive; he shouldn't put his life in hands of other people, he should have been depending on himself.

Road safety is a two way thing; no cyclist has the right to depend on vehicle drivers to avoid them, they also need to keep themselves out of harms way by engaging common sense and minimising risks that they knowingly/unknowingly take.
Old 01 October 2009, 11:19 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Timwinner
I agree with all those requirements, but its still not fine if the accident is the fault of the cyclist!

Les
Old 01 October 2009, 11:25 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have nothing against cyclists in general and I would do a lot of cycling as well if I was still able to ride one.

I do object to those who deliberately flout the law ignoring crossings and lights etc., riding in a dangerous manner and speeding along the pavement endangering pedestrians, and the idea that the motorist should be responsible for an accident with a cyclist regardless of whether the cyclist was at fault is quite ridiculous and the prat suggesting that should be run out of town!

Les
Old 01 October 2009, 12:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Road safety is a two way thing; no cyclist has the right to depend on vehicle drivers to avoid them, they also need to keep themselves out of harms way by engaging common sense and minimising risks that they knowingly/unknowingly take.
That is bang on and how I operate, I anticipate, scrutinise and try to be as vigilant as I can possibly be, I cannot rely on other people, sometimes, being human, you make mistakes or miss something and that is the only time you hope that others are being vigilant.

A lot of cyclists p1ss me off with their daft attitude to car drivers and flouting laws, I dont do it, if I really wanted to go quicker I would use the car and I wont run a red light on my bike any more than in the car, the system works and anyone who tries to operate outside it is on shaky ground, people cycle for different reasons, necessity, sport, recreation, transport and due to it not being controlled in any way any pillock can get hold of a bike and legally ride it on the road and become a "cyclist", they arent they are people on bikes.

Most car drivers I find are courteous and tolerant, some are ambivalent but very few openly agressive, but too many (and the same applies when I am driving) are distracted, using innapropriate speed, talking on mobiles and just not giving a toss about anyone else, usually stereotypes work when on the roads and the usual offenders like young birds in minis, old scuffers in ratty mondeos, Tipper Drivers and big SUV drivers soon get a wide birth, like HGV's, anyone on a bike who goes anywhere near one has a death wish, wide birth at all times and if in doubt stop and wait, there have been many deaths in London due to this but having seen the melee that is London at rush hour I am surprised it isnt every day.

So, take every cyclist and driver on how they treat you, sometimes you need to generalise but I try not to, there are some nice RR Sport drivers out there, somewhere, I expect, also there may be a 20 year old girl who isnt texting whilst driving her Mini, maybe.

I am against the daft rule that has been mooted, any incident should be judged on the evidence available, not just one is bigger than the other so must be guilty, that said, drivers do have the added responsibility of the additional speed and weight of their vehicle, like the mum at our youngests school in her RR Sport that does 40 between two lines of cars at kicking out time because she is always on the last minute, whilst drinking from her water bottle has additional responsibility doing that speed in a three tonne vehicle compared to someone doing 13 mph on a 35 lb mountain bike down the same road.

I have found that riding a bike has improved my driving.
Old 01 October 2009, 05:52 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

that said, drivers do have the added responsibility of the additional speed and weight of their vehicle, like the mum at our youngests school in her RR Sport that does 40 between two lines of cars at kicking out time because she is always on the last minute, whilst drinking from her water bottle has additional responsibility doing that speed in a three tonne vehicle compared to someone doing 13 mph on a 35 lb mountain bike down the same road.
Very true.

I think the most worst cases are in the example like you said; Treating their HGV 4x4 like it were a car.

A RR sport TDV8 weighs 2.6tons...to put that in perspective, a Iveco Eurocargo 7.5tonner is 2.9tons (unladen). So thats boarding close to a HGV. A 530d weighs 1.6tons - and thats heavy (for a car).

It goes without saying that you cannot drive a RR sport like a 530d. Do you see Iveco Eurocargos being driven at inappropriate speeds for the conditions? Well, ok, may DHL and city link have alot to answer for runing my point, but the fact is that Iveco is now physically restricted to 56mph maximum and legally to 50mph on NSL single carriageways. So, why isn't the Range Rover?
Old 01 October 2009, 06:03 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

prob due to the better brakes and suspension and stuff.
Old 01 October 2009, 06:14 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Every day without fail riding my motorcycle through London I have to brake hard or swerve around a cyclist, they really seem to have no awareness of whats going on around them.

Not two days ago, I had to perform a proper emergency stop to avoid hitting this lady on a push bike, the kind with a wicker basket bolted to the front. Just completely pulled out on me then had the nerve to start screaming at me for riding in a bus lane.

Honestly if I didn't keep a watchful eye on all cyclists and just went for it you could knock them over like skittles.
Old 01 October 2009, 06:53 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ALi-B
Well, ok, may DHL and city link have alot to answer for runing my point, but the fact is that Iveco is now physically restricted to 56mph maximum and legally to 50mph on NSL single carriageways. So, why isn't the Range Rover?
What have I ever done to you. My fecking van is limited to 72mph(indicated) and is a POS Vauxhall Movano! Oh, to have the luxury of an Iveco or Merc Sprinter.

I know it's a very sweeping generalisation, but, most "cyclists" are blithering idiots.

What Lisa hasn't mentioned above, is that a "cyclist" was the cause of her Uncle having a very serious accident whilst on his motorbike going home from work. "Cyclist" thought it would be a good idea to to cut across moving(40mph) traffic on the bypass, causing the traffic to emergency brake/swerve to avoid the retard.

Lisa's uncle tipped his bike avoiding the little ******, resulting in a lengthy stay in intensive care where they weren't sure if he'd survive.
Old 01 October 2009, 08:17 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
they really seem to have no awareness of whats going on around them.
I do !!!!!

It may be gimpy and a bit sad looking but I have one of these,

I like to know whats coming up behind me.

And this,

So I can see and be seen.

Dont think that all cyclists are clueless Muppets, most are acutely aware of their situation, you have to assume everything hides a hazard, that every driver hasnt seen you, but I agree that some rely on drivers to see them, which is a very dangerous game to play as a lot seem to be too busy taking a call, smoking, eating, fannying with various gadgets, chatting etc, if the cyclist looses concentration the cyclist dies, if the driver looses concentration, the cyclist dies.
Old 01 October 2009, 08:24 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Not only does a cyclist have to put with careless, distracted drivers but also drivers who shout things, toot their horn and throw things (pedestians do this one too)!

I've only been doing it a while and some of the sh1te I have to put up with is unreal.

Quick Reply: Bent Mikey, Amateur Cameraman, Has His Way