Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Weights Program

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2009, 11:40 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Weights Program

Can one of SN's fitness experts give me a series of weight training reps that I can do 3x a week please?

I don't go to a gym but have an inclineable bench, a bundle of weights, a bar and some dumbell bars onto which to attach the said weights.

I'm after toning/building up the upper body, so stomach/chest/shoulders/arms etc - end goal being strength & stamina but I don't want to look like Arnie.

I have a series of things that I do now but they are the same things, so chances are that they're a) not doing what they should do & b) there are other things that would help out fill the bits I'm missing.

For cv I cycle and have a decent rowing machine. I also do a lot of leg exercises, so not worried about that area.

Cheers

Puff
Old 31 August 2009, 11:51 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Puff, try starting out with body weight exercises? I do a set of these three times a week and have seen good results, I have also used it in the past with the same effects.

5 Sets of chinups, rep to failure each time
5 Sets of pressups on a raised bar, rep to failure each time
5 Sets of situps, 20/30 each set.

Leave one min between each set nd push yourself hard. These are basic exercises but will hit everything you talk about very well. Changing the grip on the pullups will changed the muscles you work, same with the pressups.

Lots of info on the web with regard to bodyweight excercises, go have a poke about. Adding in dips etc.

Paul
Old 31 August 2009, 11:57 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Do "Stronglifts 5x5" for a 12 week cycle to get you all round strength and a little size. The program focuses on squats and core strength but IMHO that's a fairly crucial base to have to work from. I'm personally sticking with stronglift 5x5 until I've got 1.25x bodyweight squats and 1x bodyweight bench press for 5x5. After that I'll probably switch to a bulking program and then a cutting/toning in time for next summer.
Old 31 August 2009, 12:14 PM
yoza
BANNED

Quote: I'm after toning/building up the upper body, so stomach/chest/shoulders/arms etc - end goal being strength & stamina but I don't want to look like Arnie.

Dont worry you will never look like Arnie.....so dont back off with the effort, thinking...Oh my god Ive gone too heavy, Im gong to be huge in the morning, it wont happen.

Nobody can advise you on a workout until they meet you, see your stats and BMI, and assess you ability.

Im sorry if I sound a bit blunt....but that top quote is my pet hate, it usaully goes like this...." Alright mate, how do I get bigger arms and shoulders, but I dont want them as big as yours."

FFS, dont worry you wont.

And breath.............
Old 31 August 2009, 11:42 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by yoza
Quote: I'm after toning/building up the upper body, so stomach/chest/shoulders/arms etc - end goal being strength & stamina but I don't want to look like Arnie.

Dont worry you will never look like Arnie.....so dont back off with the effort, thinking...Oh my god Ive gone too heavy, Im gong to be huge in the morning, it wont happen.

Nobody can advise you on a workout until they meet you, see your stats and BMI, and assess you ability.

Im sorry if I sound a bit blunt....but that top quote is my pet hate, it usaully goes like this...." Alright mate, how do I get bigger arms and shoulders, but I dont want them as big as yours."

And breath.............

Hehe

Don't want them as big as yours m8 - I wish to retain a somewhat normal look thank you

I do a series of reps with my weights that are probably no longer having the (minimal) effect that they should. I'm only wishing to devise a newer routine with variation in order that I'm not wasting my time fighting muscle memory all the time.

My problem is that I'm not a gym bunny & haven't a clue about half of the things that people talk about with relation to training etc
Old 01 September 2009, 09:23 AM
yoza
BANNED

Tell me what you do now.

Tell me what equipment you have.

Tell me your weight/height/age/BMI

Tell me what supplements you take.

Tell me what time you have available.

Tell me your goal.....

Then I will tell you how to reach it.
Old 01 September 2009, 12:43 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Tell me what you do now.

Tell me what equipment you have.

Tell me your weight/height/age/BMI

Tell me what supplements you take.

Tell me what time you have available.

Tell me your goal.....

Then I will tell you how to reach it.
Nice to read advice on this topic that starts with the correct series of questions.

Someone on PF once replied with...

"You need to do some dianabol geez"
Old 01 September 2009, 02:50 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Hehe

Don't want them as big as yours m8 - I wish to retain a somewhat normal look thank you

I do a series of reps with my weights that are probably no longer having the (minimal) effect that they should. I'm only wishing to devise a newer routine with variation in order that I'm not wasting my time fighting muscle memory all the time.

My problem is that I'm not a gym bunny & haven't a clue about half of the things that people talk about with relation to training etc
I started off training at home, just something to suppliment my martial arts training but got carried away.

You have the basics for training, as long as you can do the core training consisting of chest, back, legs you are okay - then it's just a matter of getting into a routine that is not too habitual so you feel motivated to train instead of feeling forced to.

I recommend HIT training (High Intensity Training) which help you burn off body fast fast and tone up quickly as well as developing your muscles properly.

As long as you maintain a consistent training schedule you will be okay, people go wrong when they don't commit fully and start doing irregular training.

Spend an hour at least and ensure you stay with a medium weight (one you can achieve max reps for at least 3 sets) and then aim to do a high rep amount for each set e.g. 15 to 25 rep range.

Rest for no more than 30 seconds and then attack the muscles again until you have done your 4 to 6 sets per excercise on your list of things to do.

Don't do the same routine for more than 6 weeks or your mind will get bored and try to find shortcuts meaning your muscles are not going through hypertrophy - in a nutshell not growing.

Ensure you take in a regular protien for the first 1 month of the training cycle, decrease your carb intake slightly, eat lots of fruit and try to keep your body slightly hungry so you maintain a good metabolic level.

The trick to the diet is to eat what you like and not believe the BS in mags/books - some of the principles are sound but only you know what you like to eat:

1. Make a list of what you eat in a day (approx)
2. Cross off the stuff you know is unhealthy and replace with good stuff
3. Reduce your main meal portains to 2/3 of a whole portion
4. Between meals, keep a snack box with you and nibble on fruit, nuts, oat bar when you get hungry, but only enough to take the craving away
5. On a training week, take protien twice a day, 1 hour before training and immediately after training for muscle growth or wait 15 minutes to let your body eat it's own fat and then consume a protien+carb meal

After 6 weeks change your routine slightly, swap things around, reduce the rep count and set count, go to your maximum weight for 1 week slogging it out to promote good muscle growth (reduce your training time down to 45 minutes if you can) then after one week go back to a normal training routine or a HIT 4 week cycle if you haven't done it for a while.

I have approximately 4 or 5 training routines for a 12 month cycle, with 3 diet changes to help me increase body weight, increase muscle mass and then shred up while retaining muscle density.

Also try to do 10 minutes cardio before a weight training session to get the blood flowing and try to train when you are just starting to digest your meal (usually after 40 minutes from when you had a meal/protien drink) - when you are in a slightly hungry state (but not starving) you will train better as you are circulating more blood around your body leading to better vascularity = muscle development and overall good health.

The above is what I do so take what you need from it, your goal should be to first perfect your body form (holding weights, technique, balance, cardio power etc) and then develop sensitivity so you can feel your muscles working every rep for every set and finally reach a point in say 6 months where you are starting to learn what routines and diets work for you and what don't.

Finally though enjoy doing it, if you don't then you will end up just hitting a psychological barriar that is hard to get through.
Old 01 September 2009, 04:49 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see any deadlifts or squats in there
Old 01 September 2009, 05:22 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also you can get many books on weight training and most will give you all you need to know to get started,such as training routine,setting out a schedule,what foods to eat,proper lifting technique (quite important that one)some of the books even give you a beginner schedule,once you completed that then it will move you on to intermediate then Advanced if your feeling up to it...The mens Health Hard Body plan is a pritty good book and takes you from beginner to advanced,each training routine lasts 12 weeks and Stuart Mcrobert does some ok books.
Old 01 September 2009, 05:23 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And breath.............

I reckon you are actually six stone wet through
Old 01 September 2009, 05:50 PM
yoza
BANNED

Thats just my head.
Old 01 September 2009, 06:21 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to see some great form and technique check this guy out

YouTube - Frank Yang - Meditation Speed Bench, *** to Grass Squats, and OCD close grip.
Old 01 September 2009, 10:59 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I know very little about this stuff but for a work out guide I would suggest
Dumbell flies, flat bench, incline bench and decline bench for the chest I would use dumbelss for all if you are traing on your own

lat pull downs infront and behind you head and dumbell rows for you back

shoulder press then front side and rear raises

for biceps hammer curls and normal curls and you can also do incline and decline curls and reverse if you can be arsed.

for triceps skull crushers dips and kick backs

For legs squats, single leg calf raises and the other two I have only ever done on a machine so can't suggest anything.

To start pick two exercises for each muscle, when you get used to it do at least three for each muscle. Train each muscle a maximum of once every 7 days so group it chest plus back one day day off then legs another day 1-2 days off then arms plus shoulders . The biggest issue I had was almost all exercises seemd to involve arms so I think better form on the lifts helps to target the muscle groups better.

I went for 12-10-8 reps on three sets for each and used a machine in the gym to make sure my muscle were completely wasted amd tired out afterwards., train to failure always and if your muscles still ache after 7 days of rest don't train them.

Explanation s for each exercise can be googled and again I am just suggesting a starting point I am no expert but no one else seemed to want to volounteer any specific advice.
Old 02 September 2009, 10:29 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Question for ya yoza, without starting another thread (check me out!)
How long before training would you load up on carbs (if at all)
Recent sessions have brought on serious fatigue towards the end.

That said, on both occasions, lunch was missed !
So would you suggest a load up before training? And if so, what and when?
I know thats a bit vague, but just looking for opinions.
Old 02 September 2009, 10:53 AM
yoza
BANNED

Eat small portions often, ie 6-8 meals a day...dont eat large meals, and never miss meals.

If you are seriously fatigued towards the end of your rountine then your routine is too long.

I am no dietition or fitness expert, quite the opposite, I just do whats good/works for me.

My goal maybe another gym goers nightmare, my routine maybe no good for anybody else.

I dont usually reply to gym posts because things that work for me may not work for the masses, I have no qualifications in fitness or diets.

I am currently out of shape as I have not seriously trained since my son was born, I have had a go and use my cycle as often as poss.
Old 02 September 2009, 01:39 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Eat small portions often, ie 6-8 meals a day...dont eat large meals, and never miss meals.

If you are seriously fatigued towards the end of your rountine then your routine is too long.

I am no dietition or fitness expert, quite the opposite, I just do whats good/works for me.

My goal maybe another gym goers nightmare, my routine maybe no good for anybody else.

I dont usually reply to gym posts because things that work for me may not work for the masses, I have no qualifications in fitness or diets.

I am currently out of shape as I have not seriously trained since my son was born, I have had a go and use my cycle as often as poss.
"Eat small portions often"

What he said and yeah, sounds like you are over training combined with inconsistent food intake you are shocking your body.

I see lots of noobs going into the gym and trying every single machine possible just because it's there! Reduce your training routine down to about 3 machines/routines per muscle group you are doing.

As for carb loading, I tend to do this early in the day and then stop taking in carbs after 3 pm where I will take a protien shake and/or BSN No-Xplode Nitro booster/Creatine drink, wait about 40 minutes to an hour until I start to feel hungry (less time if I am only drinking a nitro booster) and then hit the gym.

I can train up to 1.5 hours in a gym but I tend to totally destroy myself and my training is fairly advanced (hitting my 10th year now) but you will know when you hit your limit as the first sign is an increase in hunger.

Thats when you need to stop and go eat some protien (and a carb drink if needed) and go home.

But as Yoza said, only you will know what works, what works for me is not for everyone (HIT training for 1.5 to 2 hours is too much for many people).

And as Dyk mentioned, get a good book, the Arnie Body Building Encyclopedia is a must and any good all round book (Mike Metzer books are good if you want a muscular/athletic/ripped training cycle).

Build the foundations first, like riding a bike, you aren't gonna go and start pulling 6 foot drop offs until you have got comfortable with the bike and mastered some degree of balance.

I should put all this in a book hmm...
Old 02 September 2009, 02:42 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies.
Like I say its more curiosity than anything else.

I have been training for quite a few years on and off. lol
I was just curious to know when others did a carb load, if at all.
Its only twice in the past 2 weeks that has brought on fatigue. And I know both times were down to poor intake in the day. So was just looking at what others did and at what time in the day.

I hit the gym as hard as I feel I am ok with, tonight is cardio, so making sure my intake for the day is good
Old 06 September 2009, 03:51 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Yeah can be a simple affair or complicated depending on how you approach it.

I don't train for the ego now i.e. looks etc, just for power and good overall health so I try to focus on a session that works everything (stamina, power, strength), the bonus being I am now around 15 stones lean muscle with about 10% bodyfat but can still run a fair few miles and kick a football around at pace.

Sounds like what you need is to keep your carb intake fairly high so spike it early with a good breakfast (don't miss these or you will suffer for the whole day), then tail off your carb intake and burn it all off in the gym where carb loading kicks in to give you the stamina and blood volume pump you require - top it off with a protien shake or a good meal at the end of it.

And a tip for any gym rat, if you really want to lose that holiday fat or beer belly then hit your legs and hit them hard, only way to get rid of the fat fast.

Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited by finalzero; 06 September 2009 at 03:52 AM.
Old 06 September 2009, 09:05 AM
yoza
BANNED

My tips for any up and coming "gym rat" is.........

When ever you leave a piece of apparatus ALWAYS move the pin to the bottom of the stack.

Always drop heavy weights on the floor, but only on a heavy session, never drop girly weights on the floor after a burn out or attention will be gained, but no points scored.

Learn quickly how to pull the right faces, and set the ambience with the correct level of grunts.

If anyone has the cheek to ask you.." Got many left on that mate." always answer " Yes. " and leave it at that.

Never wear gloves...ever.

Dont wear a belt for anything other than heavy squats, and never chat with others with it over your shoulder, ever. (the same goes for a shoulder hung towel..no, no.)

Dont get caught perving at fit bitches unless you are prepared to keep looking when your collared.....the worst case of perving is being caught looking through 2 or 3 mirrors to see your quarry, then looking away.

If anyone asks for advice on getting strength and size, but ends the conversation with......" But I dont want to get too big..." ...Punch him square in the face.
Old 06 September 2009, 10:52 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Eat small portions often, ie 6-8 meals a day...dont eat large meals, and never miss meals

I dont usually reply to gym posts because things that work for me may not work for the masses.

Nail hit and head! We're all different, respond differently and will find different things work for us. Therefore it's dedication and hard work to find the dietary and training regime to suit. Once you've brushed up on the basics it's trial and error. With training though sometimes less is more.
Old 06 September 2009, 12:51 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Yoza, etc, can anyone recommend me a link to some recipes or meals that would allow me to take in around 1200-1500 calories per day and preferably from a relatively varied diet. I'm 16st and currently require about 2300-2500 calories per day to maintain my weight. I'll be continuing with strong-lifts 5x5 and cycling, but I want a daily intake of around 1500 cals. I realise that's quite a deficit to run with but I want to shift a good amount of weight in the next 3-4 months and achieve some real results.

P.S. I realise that my training program/aspirations don't fully tally with my weight loss goals. However, I simply can't stomach having to be hyper disciplined over what I eat and do a gym program I don't enjoy (or worse yet a world of cardio!).
Old 06 September 2009, 01:45 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol loving the reply Yoza, reminds me of my training days 15 years ago

FinalZero, thats almost exactly what im doing at the mo, and can honestly say that both fatigue days were poor intake days. Not made that mistake since.

Becoming happy with my routine now though, and finding I can push myself a little more each time. 11 weeks left til I have to stop training again, for surgery, so making the most of it.

Think I will get back to the running while I cant do weights, post surgery.
Old 06 September 2009, 11:48 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Yoza we got a solution for 'grunters' at my gym, the owner simply fires up the mic and replys with a huge roar over the speakers and lets everyone know who the tw@t is shouting
Old 07 September 2009, 02:55 AM
Will
BANNED

We take the **** out of grunters at our gym, and even take more **** out of the *****

that does 10 reps and flex their muscles in the mirror
Old 07 September 2009, 12:47 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol @ grunters.
I more a "whoosher", but to myself, not to the entire gym.
Old 07 September 2009, 02:22 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr_impreza
We take the **** out of grunters at our gym, and even take more **** out of the *****

that does 10 reps and flex their muscles in the mirror
Haha we should get a list going of all the types, got a similar dude in our gym, constantly looking at himself in the mirrors and all he trains is his upper body and seems to have a serious inferiority complex.
Old 07 September 2009, 02:33 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i read mens fitness magazines and have a gym membership

will this make me physcially bigger

or do I actually have to train?
Old 07 September 2009, 03:10 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
i read mens fitness magazines and have a gym membership

will this make me physcially bigger

or do I actually have to train?
I reckon there is probably a pill for it.
Failing that, get an iPhone, there will be an app for it.
Old 09 September 2009, 01:35 AM
Arctic_Monkey
Scooby Regular

How's your training going mate? Some good suggestions above, i'd deff by trying to get some circuit training into your routine, in the form of bodyweight stuff first (Such as squat jumps, press ups(lots of variations like lateral and cross body mountain climbers), lunges, burpees, tuck jumps, sprint starts, sit ups etc - be looking at 10 reps each exercise to start, working up to 20 reps per exercise..seeing how many reps you can complete in a 30min period (Try searching for the bodyweight 300 or bodyweight 500 workouts)

You could also try a barbell complex ciruit, with a fixed weight on the bar for the whole circuit, perform your strength exercises one after the other i.e squats, deadlifts, lunges, shoulder presses, rows etc - good mix of strength and cv work i've found.

Also get yourself over to muscletalk.co.uk for some great advice and help with all aspects of fitness/bodybuilding

Quick Reply: Weights Program