Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

No RFL?...Don't worry, the BiB don't care.

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2009, 02:12 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No RFL?...Don't worry, the BiB don't care.

Parked up in Sainsburys car park today to go to the cashpoint.
Next to me was a Vauxhall Zafira with road tax that expired on 30.4.09. So 3 months ago.

As I walked to the cashpoint a member of Her Majesty's finest Constabulary was coming out of the shop with his bag of goodies (I'm assuming lunch).

I mentioned the car with no tax and pointed it out to him, he said he'll sort it.
As I got my money from the cashpoint I watched mr BiB get in his car and just drive out of the car park.

As there was another car behind the offending one and it was parked in the middle of a row, there's no way he could have got the reg. number to do something about it later.

Which leads me to believe that unless you get caught by an ANPR camera or one of those set up at the road side, you can carry on evading.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the tax as much as anyone but I always pay mine. (on 3 vehicles)

Thing is, if this car isn't taxed what's the chances of there being no insurance or the driver with no licence?
And if he hits you in your car... then what?

That's all.
Old 31 July 2009, 02:15 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

mines not taxed at the minute, but it is insured and mot'd and ive got a licence so thats your assumptions scuppered. lighten up its only going to be spent on the bloody queen anyway lol
Old 31 July 2009, 02:24 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
mines not taxed at the minute, but it is insured and mot'd and ive got a licence so thats your assumptions scuppered. lighten up its only going to be spent on the bloody queen anyway lol
But are you driving around with it un-taxed? For 3 months?
Old 31 July 2009, 02:35 PM
Dease
Scooby Regular

No tax = invalid insurance so no you don't have insurance.
Old 31 July 2009, 02:52 PM
Coc-ker
Scooby Regular

Doesn't necessarily mean they don't have tax. They may have renewed online and not placed the disc in. Which may explain why they haven't been picked up on ANPR.

Or

They could be scum who the fuzz do nothing about.
Old 31 July 2009, 02:56 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

only if your driving it around my old cocker
Old 31 July 2009, 03:16 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dease
No tax = invalid insurance so no you don't have insurance.
This is rubbish: you should stop repeating it.

Trending Topics

Old 31 July 2009, 03:38 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon 69
This is rubbish: you should stop repeating it.

this is actually true so stop saying it aint!
Old 31 July 2009, 03:51 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

No it isnt. I see how you earned you name. Now: GO AND STAND IN THE CORNER !
Old 31 July 2009, 03:51 PM
amahrap
Scooby Regular

Mr D, it would be wise to get your facts straight before pressing send. This 'fact' has been confirmed on here before by trusted representatives of the insurance industry - it is another of those misunderstood urban myths, lack of road tax does not invalidate insurance (do a search)

Unless you are an insurance rep, copper, QC, magistrate, DOT official or otherwise suitably qualified to add new knowledge then no need to reply other wise this will just ping pong all afternoon
Old 31 July 2009, 03:56 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Read this, then apologise.

For those who cant be arsed:

Originally Posted by A Prominent Road Traffic Solicitor
Not having a tax disc does not invalidate your insurance - that is an urban myth
Old 31 July 2009, 04:00 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

What I was getting at in my original post was that if someone can't be arsed to tax a car, what are the chances of them being arsed to get insurance, MOT etc...?

Whether you can legally get one without the other is a different thing entirely.
Old 31 July 2009, 04:00 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
Next to me was a Vauxhall Zafira with road tax that expired on 30.4.09. So 3 months ago.

As I walked to the cashpoint a member of Her Majesty's finest Constabulary was coming out of the shop with his bag of goodies (I'm assuming lunch).

I mentioned the car with no tax and pointed it out to him, he said he'll sort it.
Careful actions like that might have you marked as a grass, snitch and apparently such actions have concequences lol. So some SNetters have told me anyway.

PS it is my understanding that all lack of an MOT is likely to do to your insurance in devalue the car in the case of a theft or total loss.
You would remain covered 3rd party minimum, which is all that is legally required.
Old 31 July 2009, 04:03 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

wohooo I am off to send mine back then now my insurance is valid...

joking aside maybe it was the coppers brother.
Old 31 July 2009, 04:14 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr_D
i am sitting at my desk in work and guess where i work. in insurance. guess what test i have passed, all of them,. i have been working in the insurance industry for years and this is a known fact. i dont work for some broker i actually work for a big company.

so please as you stated. get your facts right before you press the button
You can take as many tests as you like, you're still wrong. Tax and MOT have no bearing on the validity of insurance. None whatsoever.
Old 31 July 2009, 04:19 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

The Legal Implications of Avoiding Car Tax and Insurance: - No Penalty Points (UK)

"Did you know that not having car tax invalidates your motor insurance?
A lot of people don’t realise that if they ‘forget’ to renew their road tax when it runs out – or don’t purchase it at all – then their car insurance is null and void. If they are involved in an accident while untaxed, then they will essentially be uninsured and will be subject to all the consequences as described above. Even if they have been paying their car insurance, it won’t make any difference – you’re still guilty of committing a criminal offence. "
Old 31 July 2009, 04:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

People should be strung up for driving uninsured!

Les
Old 31 July 2009, 04:22 PM
amahrap
Scooby Regular

okay then billy big bollocks as you have passed test one (you work in insurance) - then on to test 2.

go away and find the letter of the law with references and post it up so we can all see, we can then use this should the subject come up again

note that this is referenced law or industry rules that we are looking for not "i passed some workplace test" - bet you can't but would be happy to be proved wrong as this issue comes up so often
Old 31 July 2009, 04:39 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If councils are allowed to monetarily reward grandmas for snitching on dog turd offenders then you really would have imagined shopping car tax evaders would be possible at least .

I was done in my younger days - id did pay up of course + some and learnt my lesson
Old 31 July 2009, 04:53 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

ok lets put this in perspective.

if you have a fault claim and had no road tax then the insurance company would pay out for the 3rd party damage but not your damage (a way of saying void).

if you had a non fault claim then this would be cover by the 3rd party insurance.

i believe this is a way of saying your right and im right. so to clear it up your not covered for your self if you have no tax. but still covered for the road.

fully comp becomes 3rd party insurance just not actually void to point of no insurance at all.

and i will hold my hand up and say that this is fact. and i was wrong to beleiev it was fully void but i guess
you learn something new everyday.

Last edited by mr_D; 31 July 2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 31 July 2009, 04:58 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by amahrap
okay then billy big bollocks as you have passed test one (you work in insurance) - then on to test 2.

go away and find the letter of the law with references and post it up so we can all see, we can then use this should the subject come up again

note that this is referenced law or industry rules that we are looking for not "i passed some workplace test" - bet you can't but would be happy to be proved wrong as this issue comes up so often

and less of the attitude. im not trying to be a keyboard warrior like yourself. they are just not work place tests they are actually fsa appointed tests that have to be completed by law.

so please put your keyboard down and be a good boy now
Old 31 July 2009, 05:00 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106

Which leads me to believe that unless you get caught by an ANPR camera or one of those set up at the road side, you can carry on evading.
That's cos most Police are lazy *******. He wanted his lunch, and no crime will get in the way of that.

Police now are re-active rather than pro-active.
Old 31 July 2009, 05:06 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr_D
The Legal Implications of Avoiding Car Tax and Insurance: - No Penalty Points (UK)

"Did you know that not having car tax invalidates your motor insurance?
A lot of people don’t realise that if they ‘forget’ to renew their road tax when it runs out – or don’t purchase it at all – then their car insurance is null and void. If they are involved in an accident while untaxed, then they will essentially be uninsured and will be subject to all the consequences as described above. Even if they have been paying their car insurance, it won’t make any difference – you’re still guilty of committing a criminal offence. "
Finding bad advice to support your claim doesnt make you right. Its a rubbish website full of rubbish. This is a crock of sh*te!

A good solicitor will always see your claim paid, unless the cause of the accident would have been discovered in an MOT test. Only then are you on a sticky wicket.
Old 31 July 2009, 05:07 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

You will, of course, have to expect/accept a write-down on your cars value, but it shouldnt be a deal.
Old 31 July 2009, 09:05 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Technically the owner doesn't need at have tax on his car in Sainsbury's car park as it is not repairable at the publics expense (the car park not the car). Therefore the owner/driver isn't committing any offence until he pulls out onto the road.

However, he DOES need to have insurance as the car park is an area the public have access to.

Subtle differences I know.
Old 31 July 2009, 09:17 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got mine taxed today £215 for the year,robbing c*nts,,,,,,,,,just thought i'd mention it
Old 31 July 2009, 09:24 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
Got mine taxed today £215 for the year,robbing c*nts,,,,,,,,,just thought i'd mention it
I believe mine was £190 this year
Old 31 July 2009, 09:30 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adidas
I believe mine was £190 this year
What do you drive,,,,,,a Punto?
Old 31 July 2009, 09:42 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Adidas
Technically the owner doesn't need at have tax on his car in Sainsbury's car park as it is not repairable at the publics expense (the car park not the car). Therefore the owner/driver isn't committing any offence until he pulls out onto the road.

However, he DOES need to have insurance as the car park is an area the public have access to.

Subtle differences I know.
How dare you use accurate facts to humiliate some of Scoobynets finest would be lawyers.

Last edited by s70rjw; 31 July 2009 at 09:44 PM.

Quick Reply: No RFL?...Don't worry, the BiB don't care.