Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avro CF-105 Arrow

Photos: Avro CF-105 Arrow Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net
Old 28 July 2009, 03:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Very interesting aeroplane, I remember it from when I was doing my training in Canada. I imagine that the Yanks killed it in the same way that they managed to finish off the TSR2 which would also have been a world beater.

The Canadian aircraft industry was a very capable organisation with excellent design and building ability.

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 28 July 2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 28 July 2009, 04:59 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The plane was the victim of political infighting ............the PM threw his toys out of the pram and had the planes chopped up and the jigs destroyed.

AFAIK All I thought was left was a detached cockpit in a Candian Museum.

There was a rumour that one "escaped" and was kept by the millitary if the program was resurrected in the future LOL

The development was also a bit of a story, with no proper wind tunnels they launched various models on the back of rockets to test designs.

Shaun
Old 28 July 2009, 07:13 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Very interesting aeroplane, I remember it from when I was doing my training in Canada. I imagine that the Yanks killed it in the same way that they managed to finish off the TSR2 which would also have been a world beater.

The Canadian aircraft industry was a very capable organisation with excellent design and building ability.

Les

Yanks and their interference, dont ya just HATE it??

Shame though.
Old 28 July 2009, 07:14 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

They even made a film about it, with Dan Akroyd.
Old 28 July 2009, 07:18 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See my other post ............. it's a Replica

The Avro CF-105 Arrow

Shaun

Trending Topics

Old 29 July 2009, 01:46 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Interesting link that. The requirement to be able to pull 2G at altitude, and it was supposed to go to 60K feet, is quite amazing for a fighter. Must be the delta wingform.

The Vulcan could pull highish G at high altitude and during Red Flag our boss arranged to meet the F15's after an exercise at 45K for a "little trial"! They zoomed in for a front gun attack so he pulled a 2G turn and they flicked out into spins and high speed stalls. They had deep respect after that and we did very well for beer as well! We also kidded them that the refuelling probe on the nose was a large calibre cannon

Les
Old 29 July 2009, 02:10 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Fantastic bit of engineering scuppered by stupid politicians Really is a shame the only full size version is a replica and not one of the original aircraft.
Old 29 July 2009, 05:04 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given the massive amounts of money involved, building new aircraft for the RAF has to be about a lot more than how fantastic a piece of engineering it is. The TSR2 was killed not by US interference, but by government which realised, about five years too late, that it was another massively over-budget white elephant that couldn't do anything well, including all the things it was supposed to do. Constant interference from various bodies meant the spec kept changing as everyone argued about what it was supposed to do. At one point someone asked why it had a range of 2000 miles, and it turned out that no-one knew. That was too long (and thus making the plane too heavy) for tactical bombing, and far too short for strategic bombing or reconnaissance. And guess what it was supposed to do for a living.

Yes it looks pretty, but the money should have been spent on something that might actually have worked.

M
Old 30 July 2009, 11:31 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
Given the massive amounts of money involved, building new aircraft for the RAF has to be about a lot more than how fantastic a piece of engineering it is. The TSR2 was killed not by US interference, but by government which realised, about five years too late, that it was another massively over-budget white elephant that couldn't do anything well, including all the things it was supposed to do. Constant interference from various bodies meant the spec kept changing as everyone argued about what it was supposed to do. At one point someone asked why it had a range of 2000 miles, and it turned out that no-one knew. That was too long (and thus making the plane too heavy) for tactical bombing, and far too short for strategic bombing or reconnaissance. And guess what it was supposed to do for a living.

Yes it looks pretty, but the money should have been spent on something that might actually have worked.

M
Strange that you should say that about the TSR2. I was working in the flight testing net at the time and we were informed that it was exceeding all the requirements in all the flight tests which were done. We got the inside information from the horse's mouth!

It looked like a world beater at the time and the Aussies wanted to buy it but LB Johnson in protection of the US aircraft industry told the UK Labour Government that if they did not cancel it and destroy the jigs etc. that the US would sink the Pound.

Our mealy mouthed government did exactly as he ordered them, probably because they were well on to ruining the economy again anyway as much as anything, and we lost a fantastic machine with very advanced technology which the USA could not match.

Les