Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

People that over talk you

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2009, 02:54 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People that over talk you

God, Im getting fed up of people over talking me. Justh ad a call from a work colleague who rung up asking a question, then just over talked me as I tried to answer it.

Ive started to notice that more and more people just over talk each other. What happened to stopping, letting the person finish his or her sentance, then replying ??

I was taught over talking was rude, so I stop and let the other person finish, but Im getting f**king tired of doing this.

Going back to the phone call I just had, in the end I had to say, "For f**k sake, let me finish so I can answer the question. If not, why did you ring ?"

Worlds full of f'ing know alls

SBK
Old 27 July 2009, 03:04 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Just hang up next time.
Old 27 July 2009, 03:14 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Bloke i work with has almost the opposite problem, he won't let people answer unless he's said everything he intended. If you try and offer an answer before he's "ready", he just talks louder. Does my head in sometimes. But otherwise he's a genuinely nice, and very clever guy, just has this annoying habit for some reason.
Old 27 July 2009, 03:16 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Bloke i work with has almost the opposite problem, he won't let people answer unless he's said everything he intended. If you try and offer an answer before he's "ready", he just talks louder. Does my head in sometimes. But otherwise he's a genuinely nice, and very clever guy, just has this annoying habit for some reason.
Ummmmm cant be that nice!!!

Pushy bugger!!!
Old 27 July 2009, 03:22 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

i give them a really menacing stare and its obvious im thinking

"ignorant ****."
Old 27 July 2009, 03:24 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I've noticed that more people don't stop to allow the other to speak. So if I wait for a 'gap' it never comes so you virtually have to talk over to be heard.

Steve
Old 27 July 2009, 03:27 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

some people are so obtuse, you have to interrupt them before they make themselves look even more stupid
Old 27 July 2009, 03:27 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people are thinking about what they are going to say rather than listening to what is being said. Despite trying not to, I know I'm guilty
Old 27 July 2009, 03:35 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Some times there is a reason and a right time to interject, but its about a/ timing and b/ good cause.
99% of the time though its just plain rude, and I agree, I cant STAND it when people cut you off, especially when they then ask the question again that you were trying to answer in the first place.

Some do it for "poweeeeeeeeeeeeeer" (as Clarkson would say) and other do it because they feel ANY conversation is a debate.

Well done for doing what you did. Not sure profanity was called for though
Old 27 July 2009, 04:15 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Guy I work with is just like that. His voice IS the only voice in any conversation.

He has an opinion on anything and everything. You want to add to the conversation? Add your opinion? discus his opinion? Forget it. He won't let you or anyone else speak. Talks over everyone.

I just ignore the ****** now. Have for months. He's a bullsh1tter too. Constant stories about everyone he knows is a Millionaire. I call him Captain Bullsh1t.

Appartently his nickname at his old place was jackanory.
Old 27 July 2009, 05:19 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
i give them a really menacing stare and its obvious im thinking

"ignorant ****."
Hmmm...must try that next time I'm on the phone.....
Old 27 July 2009, 05:23 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Hmmm...must try that next time I'm on the phone.....
Old 27 July 2009, 05:39 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Guy I work with is just like that. His voice IS the only voice in any conversation.

He has an opinion on anything and everything. You want to add to the conversation? Add your opinion? discus his opinion? Forget it. He won't let you or anyone else speak. Talks over everyone.

I just ignore the ****** now. Have for months. He's a bullsh1tter too. Constant stories about everyone he knows is a Millionaire. I call him Captain Bullsh1t.
You work with Eddie Jordan !!
Poor sod!
Old 27 July 2009, 06:08 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread

Originally Posted by stilover

funnily my brother is exactly how you have described that person

i havent spoke to him for over 2 years now
Old 27 July 2009, 06:10 PM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

You know, i have noticed this too, now i listen out for it and its quite entertaining when your not involved in the conversation.....god i must be too polite or something because it makes me cringe when i hear a conversation as you describe

Another thing is actually listening to what someone is saying when talking to you, offering relevant responses, FAR too many people seem to have problems with that too! - they just talk about either a) **** or b) themselves
Old 27 July 2009, 06:29 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Sounds like all of you could be employed in the same organisation as myself.

Some things I personally can't stand;

Anyone, regardless of their position in the organisation who feels the need to talk over someone else.

Anyone who when you bring them a problem for discussion will try and turn the issue back to something they are doing or have done rather than deal with the issue in hand.

Those who feel thier viewpoint is right and beyond question despite being able to offer evidence to substantiate that their information or opinion is inaccurate

Those who persistently kiss the **** of those further up the management chain

Those who make a poor decision and persisit on driving that poor decision to its conclusion regardless of its cost or impact.

Oh and lets not forget those who need to micromange, proving that they dont possess any leadership or management ability whatsoever!!!

"Only assets and inventories need to be managed - good staff need leadership."

When I am CEO things will be different.

Last edited by tarmac terror; 27 July 2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 27 July 2009, 06:38 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Anyone who when you bring them a problem for discussion will try and turn the issue back to something they are doing or have done rather than deal with the issue in hand.

Those who feel thier viewpoint is right and beyond question despite being able to offer evidence to substantiate that their information or opinion is inaccurate
This sounds all too familiar. Are you referring to anyone on SN in particular?
Old 27 July 2009, 07:06 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon K
God, Im getting fed up of people over talki
i know, it's ******* annoying isn't it
Old 27 July 2009, 07:06 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

i do agree with you though, maybe i'm noticing it more but it seems to go on quite a lot now.

don't get me wrong, in certain situations were you're throwing ideas around everyone will chip in, but if you're trying to tell a story and someone keeps butting in it gets on my **** a bit.
ok maybe what i'm on talking about might not be everyones interest but i give people the benefit of listening to their (sometimes bloody tedious) tales of this and that, so i don't see why this shouldn't work the other way.

i find the more ignorant the person, the more they talk over a conversation.

there are exceptions to the rule, if you're talking to a female usually the only chance to get a bloody word in is in the milli-second they breath in. then you've got to dive in and take your chance, doesn't matter if they're in mid rant or not
Old 27 July 2009, 07:13 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
This sounds all too familiar. Are you referring to anyone on SN in particular?
I was thinking the same thing, but won't name names
Old 27 July 2009, 07:35 PM
hannogo
Scooby Regular

We got one at work,I just start snoring seems to pizz him off and he latches onto to some other poor soul.Boring t*8t.
Old 27 July 2009, 08:26 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

I have noticed this more and more lately .

I was always taught it was polite and more appealing to listen to others rather than interupt and start talking about yourself .

I know plenty of people who do it .I find it hard not to let my eyes Glaze over or start looking around paying no attention whatsoever .Then when they ask your opinion at the end I can only say "yeh ,yeh your right ",not even knowing what the hell they were asking .
And caring even less .!!!!!
Old 27 July 2009, 09:04 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

This is one of those minor things that really annoys me too.....Its second to the kids standing on the power cable on the mower when I mow the lawns.
It seems like a power struggle when you watch it go on. Maybe its just another erosion of simple manners and lowering of standards within society
Old 27 July 2009, 10:09 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

This thread should offer me some catharsis

I have a grumpy old friend. She was alright to begin with, but gradually she has started to show me her true colours. I had noticed her to be shockingly bossy on the occasions over the last 4 years since I have known her, but I always gave her the benefit of her old age (she is 73). But recently, she has gone really nasty. She shouts for nothing, she always has "I know that!" on the tip of her tongue, she always talks over others' speech, and then blames others for not explaining things to her

I still won't say "yeah yeah you're right"- that's if I am bothering to listen to her sharp and embarrassing I-oriented contents. I do tell her that I don't agree with her, and thats that.

I used to help this lady loads, but she has lately p!ssed me off big style. I am acting forgiving from top, but there's no way I am going to be giving into her talking over all the time, and bullying. I don't care any more if she is a senior citizen. Even my mum doesn't mistreat me like she does I will actually stop feeding her ego by not providing her with my company. Best way to take, with some egomaniacs

Ahhhh......... I feel so good after getting it off me chest! God, please forgive me for slagging a senior citizen off

I can imagine why some people say that old people stink
Old 27 July 2009, 10:20 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Listen to what the person has to say, even if it takes bloody ages, then start with "Yeah sure, I see your point" and then come out with your comment/opinion/moan.

When said person or someone else tries to interject tell them plain and simple "sorry, you have had your turn to talk, let me finish what I am saying".

I really hate the tossrs who do this in a meeting, I am trying to chair a meeting or do a presentation and they start having a hen fight and going off on irrelevant tangents but you get *******os who just like to make a ****ing point about everything and will comeout with ****ing annoying questions or interrupt you every second.

I use the old carpark items list telling em "I will list your point on this here white board and we can pick up these points at the end otherwise this meeting will drag on and I want to go eat my lunch soon"... but I would really like to say is "please STFU before I take this white board and smash it over your head".

Being a big guy helps but sometimes you get condescending little tossrs you just want to walk up to, tell em to get up off their chair and then headbutt em english style.

Probably make good politicians though...

Last edited by finalzero; 27 July 2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 27 July 2009, 10:21 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I love this when it happens - i listen intently to what there saying without saying a word and then when they eventually stop i give it a slightly inappropriate delay and pick a topic theyre uneasy with and quiz them on it
Works everytime
Old 27 July 2009, 11:20 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Old 28 July 2009, 07:05 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My girlfriend used to do this when I met her and if you tried to finish speaking she would get louder .. I soon "knocked" that out of her ..

At Christmas her mum and nan came round.. she was talking and her mum started to talk over her, she got louder so her mum got louder and then her nan started .. lol whoever gets the loudest gets to speak .. my girlfriend who was unaware before I made a big point about her doing it gave me a sheepish look .. I just ignored them all and carried on with my dinner
Old 28 July 2009, 09:00 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Im glad you all hate this too, thought it would just be me. As mentioned above,when conversating, I wait til the other person has finished his or her statement, I then reply, but then this person butts in, so I wait again for them to finish. It seems I never get a chance to say my piece.

Sometimes, this means when there is a short pause, I have to say my piece quickly, or I'll never get a chance.

I basically hate where I work. out of all the contracts Ive ever had in 14 years of contracting, this is possibly the worst. An office of know-alls, that love to over talk, and big up what they do in a mist of buz words and rubbish.

Any good idea seems to be thiers or originate from thier idea. The latest thorn in myside is a report I had to write, about different solutions, options, explaining costs over functions etc etc. My Mr Know it all boss has just cut / pasted it into his report and is going round preaching my solution. He even started to tell me about my own solution, and how he's going to implement his idea !

I work in an office where you cant mention anything about se x, race, politics, gender, i.e. you have to be pure. You try and chat ensuring you dont offend any culture, creed, gender, social group, etc etc.

SBK

Quick Reply: People that over talk you