Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Scam on the rise

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2009, 11:25 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Scam on the rise

Was reading this article about how the scam reolves around tech gadgets etc being offered at really low prices. The bit that seemed familiar was the section here

A story on Barnet City Local claims that customers who phone these numbers are asked to transfer money directly into different bank accounts, including Halifax, NatWest, Nationwide, and HSBC. They are sometimes told that the credit card machine is broken, and that they cannot accept credit card payments.
NowI seem to remember a similar post on SN (cant find it BTW) that outlined people getting scammed for car parts where the supplier said their card machine was broken and all. Just seemed a bit of a coincidence.

Anyway posting this up in case .

Here is the link to the tech article
Scam Alert: The Gadget Warehouse - Business - Macworld UK
Old 08 July 2009, 11:30 AM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice one Swiss.

As the old saying goes: if something seems to good to be true, it probably is!
Old 08 July 2009, 12:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the warning Swiss. After the glittering example set by our politicians of all colours, they will try anything to do you down now by the looks of it.

I once bought something in a shop in Brixham and the bloke said their machine on the counter was broken and he took my card round the back of the shop for a while. I grew suspicious and told my bank who immediately cancelled my card. I told them to pay the shop the right amount and never did find out whether it was a scam. I did see them using the machine on the counter a little later though!

Les
Old 08 July 2009, 01:13 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Leslie
Thanks for the warning Swiss. After the glittering example set by our politicians of all colours, they will try anything to do you down now by the looks of it.

I once bought something in a shop in Brixham and the bloke said their machine on the counter was broken and he took my card round the back of the shop for a while. I grew suspicious and told my bank who immediately cancelled my card. I told them to pay the shop the right amount and never did find out whether it was a scam. I did see them using the machine on the counter a little later though!

Les
Quite right: your card should NEVER leave your sight when the transaction is being processed. Many people who have been scammed fall prey at restaurants where they are happy to let a waiter walk off with their card!! Always insist on the transaction being carried out in front of you.

You should be vigilant for the card being swiped on more than one machine: some shops do require this, but they'll usually have a notice explaining it (Threshers a good example) but it should always be done in front of you: no under the desk swipes etc...
Old 08 July 2009, 01:17 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
no under the desk swipes etc...
As opposed to under the desk wet wipes which are of course essential
Old 08 July 2009, 01:21 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by SwissTony
As opposed to under the desk wet wipes which are of course essential
Depends if you're engaging in some "alone time" or the missus is down there I guess! The latter is self cleaning