Omega buying advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2009, 03:44 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Omega buying advice?

DISCLAIMER
Before I start- anyone not interested in watches leave the thread now instead of reading it getting yourself wound up (like the pun?) and then posting dribble, much appreciated!. lol.

I'm currently looking to buy an Omega Seamaster in the next month or so, so I decided to do some browsing today in a few shop windows, my budget is only going to allow me to stretch to the base model full size Seamaster, which i'd be more than happy with, but a couple of things

I noticed one I was looking at today did not have the sweeping second hand which I presumed was a feature on all Omega's, instead it had a "tick" movement once every second is this normal or not?

I've not gone into the shop to ask any questions yet, i'd prefer to wait till I have the cash to make the purchase, but looking at the prices,

The cheapest i've seen is £1120, but i've also seen what appears to look at to be the same watch in the same jewellers window for £1800 ish, I assume that the cheaper price is a quartz and the higher is the self winding version?

Finally I believe discounts can be obtained on these watches, what should I be looking at, I've heard between 10 and 20%?

Appologies if these are stupid questions but i'm a bit of a novice where watches are concerned and I know theres some experts on here.

Thanks
Old 06 July 2009, 03:48 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Ask for 20%. Don't accept anything less than 15%.
Old 06 July 2009, 04:03 PM
NorthDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti

I noticed one I was looking at today did not have the sweeping second hand which I presumed was a feature on all Omega's, instead it had a "tick" movement once every second is this normal or not?
The ticking one is the quartz, sweep hand is the non quartz. Quartz is supposed to be more accurate yet needs a battery replacement every few years. Chrono is the purists choice.

Nice watches. I agree on the discount below. Thought about second hand though? I wouldnt have considered it on my Omega yet I've never bought a new one since. Buy wisely second hand and you can sell it at any point for what you paid for it - feels good to know you havent wasted cash. If you do fancy pre-owned either go to one of the watch forums or try somewhere like Blowers jewellers in Hull.
Old 06 July 2009, 04:09 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Also some of the high end pawn shops in London.
Old 06 July 2009, 05:18 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

I bought this model from a high street AD in January. Planet Ocean Big Size

At the time it was priced at £2,000.00 (current price £2,150.00) so I offered £1,600.00 which was accepted.

Ask for 20% off the rrp and be prepared to walk if you don't get it.

Geoff.
Old 06 July 2009, 05:40 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

I'm very wary about my Seamaster, it is on its third set of internals, thankfully free courtesy of Omega even though its out of warranty. Both times due to water ingress, so I dont ever wear it near water any more (Seamaster?????)
I do wear my GMTII when I swim or snorkel and its never missed a beat ..... sadly I wouldnt buy another Omega.
Old 06 July 2009, 06:12 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I've been looking for preowned ones but not found any in Leeds (where I live) or York I'll look up the one in Hull, there's loads on Ebay but i'm very reluctant to buy an expensive item like an Omega on Ebay, especially with so many fakes about.

Thanks for the advice on discount, I thought i might have to settle for 10%
Old 06 July 2009, 06:16 PM
yoza
BANNED

The full size auto SeaMaster is ref number 2220.80

The full size Quartz SeaMaster is ref number 2221.80

Obviously the Auto is the more expensive one.

The cheapest new Auto I have seen was in CostCo (believe it or not) at £875.00 plus VAT.

I have an Orange Planet Ocean Chrono and it is reliable, but I have had a GMTII that I sold to a fellow member on here that soon after failed, gaining exactly an hour 2 or 3 times a day.

He took it back to where I bought it and got a full refund.

I too have heard, and have seen evidence, that Omegas are prone to failure.

Is your mind set on a SeaMaster, if so, buy from an AD {authorised dealer} so you have some comeback if you have problems.
Old 06 July 2009, 06:26 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Thanks YOZA, pretty much set on a Seamaster really, have looked at Tag's and even Breitling's but if I bought a Tag i know i'd regret it and the Breitling's are a bit too fussy for my taste, I like the basic Seamaster, i'm not even too keen on the ones with extra dials.
Can't afford a Rolex unfortunately

Will have a look at Costco, used to be a member there
Old 06 July 2009, 08:07 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

my brother in laws Omega seamaster (auto) keeps shocking time, which is a shame coz i really like them

oh and you deffo don't need the full size version, they look ridiculous unless your from SA then you don't care
Old 06 July 2009, 09:46 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

I have an auto Omega seamaster
Purchased Duty free for £1200 - no discounts available - they just laughed and said politely NO
The thing I dont like is the 24 reserve on the Kinetic - so if you dont wear for 24 hours you have to reset the time - is 24 hours normal - sure I've had Kinetics before that have lasted much longer than this

I saw the same seamaster in India for about £1100 and the wind up for about £800

As the US $ is weakening I'd wait a few more months and if you or anyone you know is venturing to the States asl them to look for one duty free - rate would need to be over $1.70 though to be worthwhile
Old 06 July 2009, 10:27 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
If you've got an Auto Seamaster it should last 40 hours at least.

It's it's only 24 then there is definitely something wrong with it
cor blimey, if you pay over a G for a watch you would want it to last more than 40 hrs at the very least
Old 06 July 2009, 11:04 PM
p@ul
Scooby Regular

I have an omega geneve that my dad brought just before i was born,its now 35 years old he gave it me about 7 years ago as i nagged him for years ha
Cost me 100 quid for a service and new face and button just after i got it but well worth it and i still love it now

Bit off topic but thought i'd say
Old 06 July 2009, 11:34 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
I too have heard, and have seen evidence, that Omegas are prone to failure.

Is your mind set on a SeaMaster, if so, buy from an AD {authorised dealer} so you have some comeback if you have problems.
i didn't buy mine from an authorised dealer and it hasn't missed a beat in 5 years
Old 06 July 2009, 11:42 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

LOL at these expensive watches that are utterly ****.
Old 07 July 2009, 05:39 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
my brother in laws Omega seamaster (auto) keeps shocking time, which is a shame coz i really like them

oh and you deffo don't need the full size version, they look ridiculous unless your from SA then you don't care
I'm 6ft 5 and built like a brick outhouse mate so the full size watch will look normal on me. lol
Old 07 July 2009, 05:54 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

At least this Omega is useful...

Many grands for a watch that doesn't even do the ONE thing a watch should do. The mind boggles...
Old 07 July 2009, 07:01 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
I've just been offered a full size Auto Seamaster, boxed, papers etc, bought from AD, it's in the UK. PM me if you'd like the sellers details He's asking £700.
PM sent
Old 07 July 2009, 10:01 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
At least this Omega is useful...

Many grands for a watch that doesn't even do the ONE thing a watch should do. The mind boggles...
Old 07 July 2009, 10:26 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

cor blimey, if you pay over a G for a watch you would want it to last more than 40 hrs at the very least
If it off your wrist for any longer just put it in a watch winder and leave it. No great shakes really.
Old 07 July 2009, 10:29 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
If it off your wrist for any longer just put it in a watch winder and leave it. No great shakes really.
It was a rather silly joke Spoon, unlike your No great shakes really
very good
Old 07 July 2009, 10:35 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

It was a rather silly joke Spoon, unlike your No great shakes really
very good
Old 08 July 2009, 12:47 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
you just can't let it go can you?
Old 08 July 2009, 09:13 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Hey I've just been offered a 25 year old Cortina. Slow, crap brakes, needs a lot of looking after but only £25k. I'm snapping it up. Bargain.

Come on lads - you're like fat trout looking for a bite. Easier to catch than MRSA at a low grade hospital. Lighten up - it's only a bit of fun.

Right, bidding for a lovely antique abacus. Who needs these newfangled accurate calcuators eh?

Quick Reply: Omega buying advice?