Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Business Thought

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2002, 03:59 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was driving the other day down the motorway, as usual, the traffic started backing up and it turned out to be an accident on the motorway, on the otherside, and of course the rubber neckers had slowed down for a gander.

I was thinking, if people couldn't see anything from the non-accident side, would they still slow down.

So I am thinking, is there some sort of collapsible barrier that could be produced and stored in the back of a police car, that once unpacked would form some kind of visual barrier, that you could put around the offending wreck or better down the central reservation that prevented the opposite side from seeing anything and consequently prevented them from slowing down?

Either that, or have something built into the barrier, that could be activated for a certain length (say 100 metres) by a Policeman/Fireman etc and then retracted once the accident has been cleared?

I suspect I am living in dreamworld, but wondered if anyone else had thought about it.

Jim
Old 06 March 2002, 04:00 PM
cheeseboy
Scooby Regular

Nice idea, but don´t you think our taxes are high enough already?
Old 06 March 2002, 04:12 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

I've considered the idea myself - problem is that the police have to erect the fence, when the priority should be making the road safe and attending to casualties.

Secondly, because the barriers are portable, they are unlikely to be as secure as fixed ones, so one gust of wind could put the barrier through the windscreen of another vehicle.

Trouble is that there is no way of stopping rubber kneckers - even if you did put a barrier up, the damage has been caused by previous rubber kneckers and hence the whole carriageway has probably already ground to a halt.

What I want to know is that given that it seems everyone on the road has to have a good old nose when there has been an accident on the road, how come Police Camera Action is not always at the top of the TV ratings?
Old 06 March 2002, 04:22 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

They have "battons" on French motorways that i presume are shield the two carriageways from the oncoming cars headlights. These battons also stop you from seeing up onto the other carriageway. You can see if you look sideways but not into the distance. On a motorway this means you are traveling too fast to see what is going on ie an accident so it would effectivley stop rubber necking. Maybe this would work.
Old 06 March 2002, 04:26 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Sti,

I had not thought of that, but now you mention it, I do remember seeing them in France also. Obviously, good idea's like that cost extra pennies....so I think it's doomed!!

Jim