Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Looking to buy a iphone or a netbook what do you think

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2009, 12:24 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a iphone or a netbook what do you think

Hi i was looking to buy the n97 but after seeing the iphone 3gs it seems 100 times better. I just have a few questions

I am buying the phone so i can use the internet when i am out and about can it open roughly every internet page and do you find it easy to surf the web.

Can you do online banking ?

Can you open and edit excel files ?

Can it open adobe pdf files ?

I mainly want to use it for the internet i then got thinking would i be better buying a netbook and keeping my current phone. I know this is a complete different product but has anyone been in the same situation as me. I just want something that can do everything all in one.

If i buy a netbook i need to get a dongle and then pay to use it so extra cost. Where the i phone is all in one

I am also worried about a 18 month contract it will be my luck they bring a new iphone out at christmas.

Thanks
Old 30 June 2009, 12:41 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

If you want to do lots of work, messaging, typing, editing reports, etc. I'd say the netbook is the way to go.

"Extra cost" of the dongle is equivalent paying monthly for your iPhone contract, so no difference there.

Apple will undoubtedly bring out a new iPhone within 18 months.
Old 30 June 2009, 12:53 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Q2 2011 for the next iphone!
Old 30 June 2009, 01:06 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

the iPhone uses a mobile version of Safari (Apple's web browser) and it's pretty good, but there are some limitations, one being the lack of support of flash or java, so if you visit any sites that use flash/java, you won't see the content.

Online banking, well, I know TD Canada Trust works without issue, I've not tried my UK Abbey National account yet though. I was going to suggest going to an Apple store to test it out, but I don't think that is a really good idea, as you'd be entering secure details. What you may wish to do is go to the online banking site and have a look in the support section, see if it mentions any issues with iPhones, and/or contact them and ask them directly as to wether their site supports iPhones.

Open and Edit excel files. The iPhone can VIEW Word, Excel and PDF files without a problem. However, you cannot edit Word files without a third party application, for example, DataVis' DocumentsToGo. They don't currently allow editing of Excel files, but it's said to be coming, and if you purchase the product now they'll include a free update for Excel editing.

I would say with fair certainty that there will be a new iPhone this time next year. The 3G was released this time last year, and the 3GS last week, so it's typically a year apart.
Christmas could be interesting, as the usual January Mac Expo isn't happening next year, so it's possible they may release things early. However, I really don't think there would be a new iPhone that quickly. Perhaps an update to it, or maybe an update to the iPod Touch. They would seriously nark off a lot of customers. A year into a 3 year contract is one thing, six months, now that would really upset people. Plus they would have held off the 3GS and waited. Release OS 3.0, let it settle down, then release their new phone at Christmas.

I'd certainly suggest getting down to an Apple/O2 store and having a play with an iPhone, and also go to somewhere that has netbooks and have a play too. See which one you prefer. Some people cannot get on with the touch keyboard on the iPhone. It does take some getting used to.
Old 30 June 2009, 01:55 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Do what I do and have both

Seriously, I use a Samsung NC10 netbook and an HTC Magic phone on Vodafone.

If I'm out and about (a lot these days), I can do the majority of work on the phone itself, e.g. emails, texts, calls. All the stuff that a phone is good/OK at.

If I then need to read a stack of PDFs, edit Word docs, write some code, run Java apps, view Flash content etc. I do all that on the netbook.

If I need internet on the netbook, I just plug the phone in via USB and use the phone as my "wireless modem" (they call this "tethering"). Phone switches between Wifi and 3G for data depending on coverage. I can then surf normally on the netbook, upload my docs, source code, do downloads etc.

I know some people can and do do real work just on their phones but it is hard to quickly type up a two page report with diagrams on a phone, hence I use a netbook for this.

Whole lot fits in a small shoulder bag and weighs less than a proper laptop.

Of course, you can do this with a netbook and a iPhone (I understand you can do tethering now ?). A mate uses a 13inch macBook and an iPhone for his work in much the same way I do my work.

Cheers

Ian
Old 30 June 2009, 01:58 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Can it open roughly every internet page and do you find it easy to surf the web.

There's no flash support but most sites open. some have formatting issues and sometimes the odd feature won't work e.g. on Scoobynet, using the Search drop down doesn't work (can't enter text in the box) but if you click on Advanced Search it works fine. Generally it's fine.

Can you do online banking ?

I use A&L and it's a bit of a faff to be honest, so much so that I don't do my online banking on the iPhone.

Can you open and edit excel files ?

Open yes, haven't tried editing

Can it open adobe pdf files ?

Yes, works fine
Old 30 June 2009, 02:03 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Yes, you can tether with the 3.0 Software, however, O2 will charge you for doing this, cheeky buggers!

Trending Topics

Old 30 June 2009, 02:15 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I really like my iPhone and find it an amazing piece of technology to use and have 'handy' whenever I need to do something. However, if I relied on it as my only access to the internet it does become a chore to type and search and isn't anywhere close to using a Netbook (PC).

So if it really is for out and about purposes then the iPhone is a great choice, if you want to use it more often or at home on the sofa then a netbook is the way to go.

Steve
Old 30 June 2009, 02:21 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Samsung NC10 Seconded.

I have one and a blackberry. Samsung has 4/5 hours battery life and fits in a small bag. Much better for surfing net and doing word/excel documents.

Blackberry is fine for emails but isn't great with documents. iphone is the same IMO.

Chop
Old 30 June 2009, 03:30 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

thanks for all the replies. I was thinking about getting both and using the i phone as the modem for the netbook but i heard you get 500mb free with your unlimited internet on 02 and if you use the netbook you need to buy a tenthering add on for £15 quid a month.

My question is if i only use my laptop a little bit would they know i was using it from my i phone
Old 30 June 2009, 04:38 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

buy an 02 usb modem and then you can use the sim from your iphone and it would not be tethering! Or just use the netbook in the pub where there is nearly always wireless
Old 01 July 2009, 10:51 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darts_aint_sport

Apple will undoubtedly bring out a new iPhone within 18 months.
Jesus! I shall be snapping that one too! I am so pleased with my I-phone 3GS that its hard to express Seriously, it is the best phone I have ever owned. I was flashing it to the police guys in the meeting yesterday, who were sitting next to me, checking their emails on their superfugly Blackberries (LOL sorry, Snazy and Sinky )
The only downer of I-phone 3GS is that every second person is getting it now I wish I were the only person to own this hi-tech device. Nevermind.

If you can surf a sneezing panda on the Youtube; supplied by I-phone, I presume you can do online banking on the I-phone too. I haven't tried myself, but I can't see why not

I am also interested in the netbook now, as you guys talked! I do like technology, fair play.

Last edited by Turbohot; 01 July 2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01 July 2009, 11:00 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Glad you're liking the iPhone, it really is moving the game forward whether people believe it or not.
Old 01 July 2009, 11:15 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Absolutely!

I have been sticking to the ancient V3 for a long time. I am very pleased with my jump to Apple I-phone 3GS. Wonderful communication device, it competes with Blackberry and beats Nokia by leaps and bounds IMO.
Old 02 July 2009, 12:47 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
If you can surf a sneezing panda on the Youtube; supplied by I-phone, I presume you can do online banking on the I-phone too. I haven't tried myself, but I can't see why not
It's like any site really, they can be written to take advantage of specific browsers, typically you'll see sites that require internet explorer and they won't work with anything else. It's pretty easy to work out what browser is being used, and even what type of machine or operating system is being used and then tailor things to that, or prevent access, which is what banking sites do.

I recall Abbey's website complaining about not supporting Safari, which is what I use, but they at least warn you that things might not work properly, rather than locking you out completely like other sites.

When it comes to money you want the site to work as perfectly as possible, god forbid that someone makes a transfer and the site states it has gone through when it did not because of some weird interaction with a specific browser.

I know most of the banking sites I use work happily with the full version of Safari, but I've not tried all of them on the iPhone yet and it's possible they might not all work with mobile Safari. I know it's a cut down version of Safari, but I'm not sure what exactly has been removed, possibly it's just lack of flash and java, and other functional controls the that full version has.