Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Have you ever bought anything from the "affordable" end of a premium brands range...

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2009, 12:02 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes.

I've got the bargain basement Ferrari 430 coupe, lists at £135k, that's £33k cheaper than the Scuderia.

Very happy with it.
Old 30 June 2009, 12:06 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

I've a Boxster S, which is considerly cheaper than a Carrera 4 or Cayman, and because of the Mods (18" GT3 rims, lowered sport suspension etc) it looks damned good and has over 270bhp on tap as well...
Old 30 June 2009, 12:06 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I bought a Panasonic PX80B (1080i) 42 inch Plasma rather than the PZ80B (1080p). Very happy, even with my Sky HD (which only shows 1080i anyway!)
Old 30 June 2009, 12:12 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes the best cars are the cheaper end of the range, you get the same basic car, the engineering integrity and quality but obviously lose toys, badges and a big engine.

It depends on where you are coming from, if its sqeezing a company car budget to get a badge and wouldnt be seen dead in a higher specced car from the more mainstream (though arguably Ford and Vauxhall are more exclusive than BMW and Audi nowadays) then you are a sad git.

A boggo 3 series does ninety perscent of what an M3 does, even basic BMW's nowadays arent that bad spec wise, they just make them look a bit mundane so you buy the leather interior, bling pack, crashy sports suspension, huge alloys and a pointless telly/sat nav in the dash, I suspect that a 320d where the owner has avoided the options list is actually nicer to drive with complaint suspension and no run flats but BMW et al play on our insecurites and sell lots of Garnish that we all fall for, for the really vain they add things like Exclusive, Autograph or Proffessional on to the options and hike the price even further to the point where you can spec a car up to double the cost of the same thing with no options.

Last edited by J4CKO; 30 June 2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 30 June 2009, 12:18 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
I bought a Panasonic PX80B (1080i) 42 inch Plasma rather than the PZ80B (1080p). Very happy, even with my Sky HD (which only shows 1080i anyway!)
I thought the PX80 was the equivalent of 720 and not 1080? so it will take your Sky HD feed and downscale it to 720 for your set. that's how I understand it anyway.
Old 30 June 2009, 12:22 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

1080i or 720p i think. either way, i'm happy.
Old 30 June 2009, 12:26 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

which is all that matters.
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I wonder how many WRX owners will reply to this thread.
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nat21
Yeah new 3 series are all good. I had an E90 320i boggo standard and it was lovely.

Just used the old compact example as they were sh1te cars all round.
I know a lad with a really tidy old one of those, he loves it, surely they were just the same thing only shorter, did they have different rear suspension that wasnt as good.
Old 30 June 2009, 12:44 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
I wonder how many WRX owners will reply to this thread.
I had a Turbo 2000 and was very happy
Old 30 June 2009, 12:54 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

So you are both good examples for the thread then, you bought affordable turbo UK models and were happy.

Did you secretly wish you had bought that P1 instead though?
Old 30 June 2009, 12:54 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a UK spec classic hence it has **** all rear wash wipe, no aircon and basic power as well as weaker engine. Been fun and expensive getting it up to a decent spec but would I do it again..no

It is easier and cheaper in the long term to go for the mid range spec in many items, be it cars, laptops, cameras etc as they tend to do the same just without a few flashy extras. Though sometimes there is one little 'extra' that you so badly need...*******s
Old 30 June 2009, 01:00 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

My old Lexus LS400 i bought for a song. £70K new. bought for peanuts. very over engineered car. was due an oil change last december and the oil was still a nice golden colour when dipped. mot due in december and i reckon it won't need much, just a quick once over. bit of a barge but really comfy and quiet.
Old 30 June 2009, 01:06 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

was watching an old episode of top gear the other night, the one where jezza tests the alfa 166. £30k new, in 1 year worth about £10K. Do you think it is worth investing a large wad of cash in a new luxury car? i know other brands hold their value rather better than others but 2/3 of the value wiped of your car in 1 year that's just crazy.
Old 30 June 2009, 01:17 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

I bought an 04 standard wrx some years ago. it is the top spec of all imprezzas though being an SL model. i.e heated leather, air con, sunroof etc

but not top spec in terms of being an STI or P1 etc.

its as stock as a rock and will stay so.

I don't honestly believe I'd use the power of an STI in the driving I do- I guess if I wanted one, I'd have bought one.
Old 30 June 2009, 01:27 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

This is something that bugs me as well. Who buys a 316i? Why do BMW even make it? I hate buying into the bottom of the range for anything.

This is no joke but, one night we were on a driving tour of Scotland and were chatting to a guy we knew about out trip whilst pissed up in a caravan. He overheard me talking to my mate about his car (BMW M3) and I muttered something along the lines of, "She really held on that corner today, eh? No idea where the limits were but they were beyond where I was comfy to go"

....at that moment there was a thud as keys landed next to me. This other guy, Keith, had chucked them. He lent towards me and said, "BMW 316 mate....see if you can get that unstuck!"

Clearly he didn't realise when he chucked me the keys to his awesome 316i that I had been referring to an e46 M3. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! To this day 316's are a running joke with me and my mates - we give them the utmost respect cause they are that fast!!!!!

Last edited by LG John; 30 June 2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 30 June 2009, 01:45 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

mines a 316.
Goes better than most though
Astraboy.
Old 30 June 2009, 02:06 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
This is something that bugs me as well. Who buys a 316i? Why do BMW even make it? I hate buying into the bottom of the range for anything.

This is no joke but, one night we were on a driving tour of Scotland and were chatting to a guy we knew about out trip whilst pissed up in a caravan. He overheard me talking to my mate about his car (BMW M3) and I muttered something along the lines of, "She really held on that corner today, eh? No idea where the limits were but they were beyond where I was comfy to go"

....at that moment there was a thud as keys landed next to me. This other guy, Keith, had chucked them. He lent towards me and said, "BMW 316 mate....see if you can get that unstuck!"

Clearly he didn't realise when he chucked me the keys to his awesome 316i that I had been referring to an e46 M3. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! To this day 316's are a running joke with me and my mates - we give them the utmost respect cause they are that fast!!!!!
Snob!

Maybe some people don't buy BMW's just for the image of being a ****!
Old 30 June 2009, 02:26 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I can't stand them in car form.
They just seem to be driven by middle management social climbing t1t heads that because they have a "Beemer" or "Audi" think they've made it and drive like complete *****.

I've seen bottom of the range Mercs, BMWs, Audis and the like driven very badly SO many times yet the ones with "proper" engines usually seem to be run by semi (or full) enthusiasts who IMO take care over their driving and don't feel the need to tailgate everyone.

BMWs rep took a slide when they went mainstream and every rep "on the make" lapped them up and made them look like pillocks.

We are looking at a possible 335i or 335d next but the poor image is a serious issue.
Old 30 June 2009, 03:07 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Snob!

Maybe some people don't buy BMW's just for the image of being a ****!
I'm quite the opposite really. I recently bought my ST220 because it's the top of the range and has the power and equipment you'd expect of such a model. I could have bought a 323 or something like that for the same money but it would be slower, older and not as well equipped. I simply can't understand why someone would spend big sums of money on a poverty spec BMW or Merc when the equivalent Ford, Vauxhaul, Volkswagen would be a far better vehicle in nearly every department with the exception of 'car park image'. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a BMW and the kudos that goes with having a premium brand car but I'll not take that plunge until I can afford to buy into near the top of the brand.
Old 30 June 2009, 03:18 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Saxo - I am EXACTLY the same now (used to be a VW head - not any more...)
Old 30 June 2009, 04:39 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I once had a K reg BMW base 318i ..........the garage offered to de-badge it for me so I didn't look like a rep LOL

Coming from a Astra GTE 2.0 it was "motorized sofa" driving of the worst kind

Shaun
Old 30 June 2009, 04:46 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
The only car i've ever been spat at in was an E36 M3 Even Red Ferrari's dont' get that kind of hatred thrown towards them
They do if you drive them around here. On one short trip in the 355, I got road raged three times. And I was genuinely driving as sensibly as is possible in it.

Quick Reply: Have you ever bought anything from the "affordable" end of a premium brands range...