Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any Koi Carp keepers ?

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2009, 09:50 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Koi Carp keepers ?

I have just dug a pond in the garden and it is now filled with water and there are 6 little Koi [ 5"] swimming around. The pond is 5 foot diameter and over 2 feet deep.

I am now worried about Herons eating the fish although I have not seen any in the area.

I have seen immitation Herons that stand by the pond to deter other Herons but I don't know about this?
What about a net? Would that stop Herons?
Old 30 June 2009, 09:59 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Imitation herons sometimes deter real ones as they're very territorial. Fake owls work too. A net will do the job, but may ruin your enjoyment of the pond. The easiest way of keeping them out is to put some canes in the ground around the perimeter of the pond and run fine fishing line between them- forming a pretty much invisible fence.

Although you may not have seen any herons, they have excellent eyesight and will spot your fish pdq if flying over.

There are a couple of other options- have a look at Bradshaws Direct - Please enable your cookies
Old 30 June 2009, 11:29 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Google Earth is another danger

I read that thieves are now using Google Earth to pinpoint Koi ponds so they can nip over the back fence and nick them.........

A net will be fine.

Have you got anything else with pond like a filter or UV light? At least try and get an airstone to put in the pond, especially as it's so hot at present.

Good luck. dl

Last edited by David Lock; 30 June 2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 30 June 2009, 06:56 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Agree with Mr. Lock, pump, filter and UV needed urgently, they don't tolerate poor water condition.

HTH

dunx

P.S. Will dig out the "box" ours came in later tonight....after work, GROAN !
Old 30 June 2009, 09:45 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

I have a 1500l pump and UV filter so oxygen isn't a problem.

My neighbout tells me he has Polecats under his decking. ****!
Old 30 June 2009, 11:21 PM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

parents lost thiers to heron and now they have netting , just watch out for other wildlife getting caught up in it
Old 30 June 2009, 11:25 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

another vote for the wire around the pond apparently the herons dont like anything touching their legs so cant get to the fish.. about 25cm up from the water level.

My OH's dad has a koi pond and he ended up putting a roof over it gazebo style to deter the buggars..and he removed the wires..

but after about 8 years of that being up, my OH looked out of their bathroom the other week, and saw a heron in the garden with one of the fish!!! He raced outside and managed to scare the heron who left the fish on the grass.. he is now back in the pond swimming happily, and the wire has gone back up

Trending Topics

Old 30 June 2009, 11:58 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

dont know much about koi but isnt 2ft a bit shallow? my fish tank was 3ft! I'd have thought it would boil in summer and be an ice block in winter at that size?

i would have thought 4ft + was good for koi, even little ones?
Old 01 July 2009, 10:48 AM
gixer6
Scooby Regular

2ft is a little shallow for Koi. It really needs to be about 4-5ft to ensure they can survive the winter unless you're heating the pond.

Also be sure that your pump is the opposite end to where your pumping the filtered water back in as otherwise you'll get a dead water area. I lost a lot of fish before I discovered the problem and none since I rectified it.

If you've got a UV filter you may still suffer from "green" water due to algae build up. A dose of Barley Straw extract will help

Also, as has been said, particularly during hot weather you can't have enough oxygen going in the water. Would be worth investing in an additional air pump with air stones / curtains.

HTH
Old 01 July 2009, 09:30 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

3 or 4 foot deep pond requirements are a myth.
My dad had Koi for 8 years in a pond that was just over 18" deep and the fish grew to 12"+ without any ill efects. I have fished many lakes and ponds with water barely 2 feet deep and fish survive without issue.
2 feet deep is ample and my local Koi experts advised me prior.