Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Blackpool

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2009, 05:20 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blackpool

We have kind of admitted defeat on bookign a holiday, it was a case of budget versus the ammount of horror we were prepared to deal with, £1500 doesnt get you very far when ther eis five of you and the final straw was that youngest has glandular fever, so, will give it a miss this year and do two weeks somewhere nice next year.

So, will do a few days out the week I am off, the kids have never been to Blackpool and I have some nostalgic idea to take them, Pleasure beach, Fish and Chips, Ride on a Tram, Jumpers for goalposts, marvelous, isn't it, etc etc.

Now I last went to Blackpool with J4ckos mate (plus others, it was in no way a romantic weekend) in the early nineties and we had a great time but it was fairly skanky back then, there was a punch up in the Yates wine lodge, apparently there not being a punch up in there is actually the more rare event.

Anyone been recently, is it still fun with a slightly endearingly tatty and seedy edge or is it just a war zone full of p1ssed up throwbacks straight off the reservation, will my delicate privately educated children say "Gosh daddy, who are these ruffians"

Was thinking of just going for one night, or is it better just left as nostalgia ?
Old 29 June 2009, 05:21 PM
Merry Melons
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go, you'd blend in well
Old 29 June 2009, 05:23 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I would stick to the Pleasure Beach, I think it's fairly family friendly in there.

I took my brood there a couple of years ago to see the lights and even at teatime, walking down the front to get some tea was an eyeopener! Luckily my 4 year old was oblivious to it all.

Steve
Old 29 June 2009, 05:25 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Depends how old your kids are mate, my boys are 2 and 4 and they can spend all day at Beavers Creek (childrens part of pleasure beach) and the swimming pool is pretty good.

My advice would be to just accept Blackpool for the cheesy seaside resort it is, eat fish and chips, buy some rock and have a good time.

:-)
Old 29 June 2009, 05:26 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

It's as rough as a badgers ****
Old 29 June 2009, 05:28 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanley
Depends how old your kids are mate, my boys are 2 and 4 and they can spend all day at Beavers Creek (childrens part of pleasure beach) and the swimming pool is pretty good.

My advice would be to just accept Blackpool for the cheesy seaside resort it is, eat fish and chips, buy some rock and have a good time.

The kids are 10, 12 and 13, they arent delicate at all, the youngest does "Chav" quite well actually, he loves nylon football shirts and bling, or at least he did, he seems to be growing out of it and no longer wears his $ meddalion (I kid you not )

I can cope with it being a bit like I remember Blackpool, gaudy, naff, busy and a bit "naughty" but if its just plain horrific, especially after dark I might go elsewhere.
Old 29 June 2009, 08:10 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

I think 'horrific' is a strong word.

Yes there's groups of guys 'n' gals being merry but if you keep yourself to yourself it's not a problem.

We've been a few times and never had any problems.

Old 29 June 2009, 08:22 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

You should have no worries if you are all there as a family people shouldn't bother a family with kids unless your ginger.
Old 29 June 2009, 08:35 PM
yoza
BANNED

I hate Blackpool, unless its the run through the lights when its dark, freezing, windy and peeing down so you cant get out.

A trip to the lights is a winter thing we do around November time, picnic in the truck, flask of coffee, sliding door open, son draped in a travel blanket, chuck some money in the foam hand on a stick and **** off home.

I used to stay at Blackpool for one weekend each year for the Beach Race (motoX) I hated the place.

Running through the lights following Sonic with his scream mask on, shouting at passers by helps with the enjoyment.
So does perving at the scantily clad hen night groups and groups of girls who quite obviously have never been out on the p1ss without their parents until Blackpool.

Dirty boy.
Old 29 June 2009, 08:48 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Jacko, stay in the big blue hotel, it'll make your trip worthwhile. Its owned by the pleasure beach an is a half decent hotel.
Old 29 June 2009, 08:59 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

it's a **** hole
Old 29 June 2009, 09:20 PM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
it's a **** hole
This post says it all.

best to keep the old memories

Why not try asking for other suggestions of where else you can go. where are you and how far you willing to travel.
Old 29 June 2009, 10:06 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

i hate blackpool,went there about 5 years ago,wanted to go home after about 1 hour.if you do go i would try to go mid week as there will be more families and less stag/hen parties.
Old 29 June 2009, 11:04 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

go when the world fireworks championships are on
its over a few friday nights in sept / oct i think

red arrows are on in august.

take them away you tight git.
Old 30 June 2009, 12:24 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
go when the world fireworks championships are on
its over a few friday nights in sept / oct i think

red arrows are on in august.

take them away you tight git.
2 of them are off on school holidays which cost nearly a grand, anything any good was over the £1500 I was going to spend, was going to put that on the card but was looking like I needed to spend nearer double that which I am not prepared to go into debt for, remember there is five of us and we are stuck with going during the school hols, not going massively into debt for it as paying for a holiday that was several months ago would be soul destroying in winter.
Old 30 June 2009, 12:28 PM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

what about trying the center parcs - they supposed to be good for familys and have a lot to keep you occupied
Old 30 June 2009, 12:33 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zeuss
what about trying the center parcs - they supposed to be good for familys and have a lot to keep you occupied
Did that last September, was ok but not eager to do it again.
Old 30 June 2009, 12:40 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
it's a **** hole
+1
Old 30 June 2009, 12:40 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Jumpers for goalposts, beans on toast, isnt it?, wasnt it? marvellous!!!

Love the fast show!
Old 30 June 2009, 12:41 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by zeuss
My mate said for the money he spent at centre parcs, he may as well have gone abroad!
Old 30 June 2009, 01:40 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Going up Tuesday, spending whole day in the pleasure beach, then beers and chilling at the Blue Hotel. No intention of going into Blackpool itself whatsoever.
Old 30 June 2009, 01:45 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Tower lounge on a Sat aft. slags everywhere. horrid place
Old 30 June 2009, 02:32 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Spent around 150quid booking a static caravan in billing aquadrome last month (iirc 3 nights)

It was quite a good laugh and worked out cheap as hell for the weekend, the caravan even came with a tv/dvd player, although to be honest, we just got pissed, ate loads of BBQ and made a right **** of ourselves on the crazy golf course

I think they have plenty of kiddie things on site, i do recall seeing them hydrosphere things where by you climb inside a bubble, they pump it up and push you out onto the lake so you look like a hamster in a ball
Old 02 July 2009, 06:51 AM
Dr Nick
Scooby Regular

Spent many a happy summer in Blackpool as my granny used to live there.

But every year I go back (less frequently now) there are more drunks along the seafront and more swearing. Or at least, with two young children myself now, I notice it more perhaps.

Worse news is from last year you have to pay to go in the Pleasure Beach. IMO this is the last straw as rollercoasters and being turned upside down is not everyones cup of tea, though it is mine ;-). But the less adrenaline addicted could still have a good time watching other folk make themselves dizzy. Other theme parks can get away with charging entry because there is usually some nice scenery or park areas to just sit and enjoy. But the Pleasure Beach is just 100% tattty and you would not want to pay just to look. There is a new twisty looking roller coater that you will not have seen.

We wont be back until my older child can enjoy some of the bigger rides. It was about 40 quid each IIRC but check out their website to be sure. Loads of folks ( including B&B owners etc and me) wrote to complain. Maybe they have changed their policy but from the reply I got, I doubt it.

Currently chilling out in Ukraine myself (30C or more most days beer 25p etc....) for costs well within your budget, but unless you speak some Russia you could find it rather an "adventure".

Cheers
Old 02 July 2009, 10:54 AM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
+1
+2

The only reason I ever intend to go back is to take the little one when she's older, so she can say shes been.
Old 02 July 2009, 11:12 AM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
My mate said for the money he spent at centre parcs, he may as well have gone abroad!

Aint that the truth!

A real middle class butlins feel, all merrell sandals, birkenstocks and berghaus, with the feel of trying to have a good time, but not really succeeding.

It is difficult with children, hate taking my son out of school, so last few years have been to Dorset, Devon, Cornwall, etc.

Weather terrible, but great holidays!
Old 02 July 2009, 12:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Robert Rosario
Aint that the truth!

A real middle class butlins feel, all merrell sandals, birkenstocks and berghaus, with the feel of trying to have a good time, but not really succeeding.

It is difficult with children, hate taking my son out of school, so last few years have been to Dorset, Devon, Cornwall, etc.

Weather terrible, but great holidays!
Bang on, expensive and much less fun than the Pikeys seem to have in Magaluf etc, we spent £1200 for four days and it was ok I suppose, quite isolated in the cabin things, it was very dingy being in a forest in a house lit by energy saving bulbs, felt like a bloody mole. I can stay in a badly lit cabin in my back garden for nowt !

I have no desire to go back,
Old 02 July 2009, 12:26 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Flickr: Landmark Trust UK content tagged with pondcottage

We stayed here a few years back, would like to go again but checked the rental and it was £1800 for the week, we wnet as it has a family connection, my dad and his brothers used to stay there when they were kids as their grandad was the head gamekeeper for the Duke of Bedford, used to drive down in a Ford Pop ovr night then spend the whole summer there, idylic, no major roads, airports, pylons, housing estates, anything in fact, at night it goes totally pitch black, obviously it is haunted and freaked my wife right out, I heard and saw the same but it didnt bother me, I quite liked it as at least I was probably related to them.
Old 02 July 2009, 05:15 PM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Another location to consider is the Isle of Wight. We went there last year, stayed near Ventnor in a tiny cottage, big enough for the three of us. Me, my missus and my eight year old.

We had the ferry trip, so like being "abroad", beaches great, people very friendly and despite it being popular choice for holidays, still very much unspoilt and like being on holiday when I was a kid back in late seventies, early eighties. Would recommend it.