Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Doggy house/garden destruction

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2009, 02:36 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine between them have chewed a plant pot, and dug a hole in the garden, just the one that they take turns in working on.
For their breed they have done very well. In fact its only since the bitch came along that the dog has started digging.

Sounds like you have a right mission on your hands.
But remember to stay relaxed, deal with the issues as they occur, and the annoying stage should pass. Sounds like an age thing, but no poor behaviour should be tolorated.
Old 24 June 2009, 02:37 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

You're making me worried now!!!

I'll report back soon

Lovely dog btw
Old 24 June 2009, 02:40 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

You need the dog whisperer ;-)

Our lab can be a little mad at times too and she is 7 she has never been any different lol.

She doesn't destroy things like yours but goes mad for cardboard tubes, off kitchen roll and toilet rolls.

If yours don't grow out of it soon she'll stay like it lol.
Old 24 June 2009, 02:42 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72

If yours don't grow out of it soon she'll stay like it lol.

There you go, words of reassurance, just like you were looking for
Old 24 June 2009, 03:14 PM
skid11
Scooby Regular

My two will steal anything left out if left alone(mobile phones,glasses ,purse,handbag)
They still chew sticks but nothing else really and dont dig.The grass is ruined by them constantly chasing each other
I had the second one in the hope it would calm the first one down. WRONG I now have double trouble.Mine are 15 months and 10 months old
Labs ideal family pets
Old 24 June 2009, 03:26 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

The golden lab we had as kids calmed down for a couple of years when she was about 11, declined a bit over a couple of years until she had a tumour removed, and then turned back into a pup again at 13!

Fred, our almost 6 month old black lab has some of the traits you've mentioned - especially sitting down and refusing to budge when out on the lead. I got him one of the recoil-type leads, and when he sits down, I just carry on and he (usually) soon decides to catch up.

You tell when he's up to mischief... he goes quiet and has disappeared. The funniest so far has been the feather duster he destroyed by pulling all the feathers off the cane - it looked like a bright red chicken had exploded in the dining room!

One of his favourites is to dive into the pond after he's been for a walk. Maybe he just wants to cools his bits down.

Oh and he found a Screwfix catalogue last week, and set to shredding that.
Old 24 June 2009, 03:33 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

You guys are making my woofs seem normal lol. I'm sitting in the garden reading this, watching them play fight, realising how lucky I am!
Would be boring if they were too well behaved though surely
Old 24 June 2009, 04:02 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

lol.

Wait for food yes, roll in poo no, eat other animals poo yes, she especially likes the cat litter covered stuff ;-) {although it is natural something to do with the iron}
Dive into any puddle or stream she can find yes, get up to he knees in mud yes lol.

they are fun.

I hear choc labs are actually the maddest of the 3...good luck and just enjoy it lol.
Old 24 June 2009, 04:03 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Seek out a local pro dog trainer mate, they are worth their weight in gold. Its usually the owner that needs educating, the dog is a natural follower and once you establish leadership the dog will do anything for you.

By the sounds of it your pooch is bored silly. Start with long,
long walks 'on' the lead and a pocketful of tasty treats, every time the dog looks up at you give it a treat, talk to it only to praise it, dogs dont understand human talk they only understand reward. Any attention, including a bollocking or you going ape is attention, and therefor reward.

Dont lose heart it will come right just keep on top

Lovely looking pooch tho
Old 24 June 2009, 04:04 PM
skid11
Scooby Regular

Mine dont roll in horse poo but both eat it.That and any other food on offer
I have one that will retrieve everything and one that wont retrieve at all.
Both walk well on leads and off but are easily distracted by other dogs.
My bitch was quiet for 2 days after bieng spayed then went even more hyper so beware!!
2 months on and she has calmed down a little.
Still great dogs though and wouldnt be without them.
Old 24 June 2009, 04:34 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

PMSL Sounds like she has you wrapped around her little finger.

You obviously know the score by your reply, so will also know that it is a matter of time and patience.

I wish you both the best of luck for he future
Old 24 June 2009, 04:52 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Ours was murder. He chewed through the "Sky" cable, ripped the planters off the walls under the windows. And God only knows how he managed to turn the BBQ completely up side down Oh and the chiminea is now minus its chimney.

He is two now and has stopped. Oh unless he can find a football, then it is all our war

Our offender

Old 24 June 2009, 04:56 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Our (almost) 3 year old blak lab tried to chew a lead when she was a pup and... that's it.

She's never chewed anything other than toys and stuff she's meant to have.

Does your get left on our own often? Sounds like separation anxiety or just plain boredom.
Old 24 June 2009, 05:15 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

How much walking does she get a day? Ours gets a good 3 miles (hilly miles) a day with a few runs thrown in through the week (5-8km). Sounds like yours may have excess energy?

We don't give our loads of attention - she just roams around in the garden (although it's a big garden) all day but is incredibly well behaved. Partly luck, partly good puppy training classes!
Old 24 June 2009, 05:29 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
How much walking does she get a day? Ours gets a good 3 miles (hilly miles) a day with a few runs thrown in through the week (5-8km). Sounds like yours may have excess energy?

We don't give our loads of attention - she just roams around in the garden (although it's a big garden) all day but is incredibly well behaved. Partly luck, partly good puppy training classes!
Agreed, mine get 8-10km a day each. Split into 2 walks. Sometimes they get a free run in the park (enclosure) as one of the walks, but thats an hour minimum and they are encouraged to run about.

I let mine choose indoors or outdoors, especially in this weather.

They are not usually too active between walks, but still manage a few mad 5 mins from time to time.
Old 24 June 2009, 05:55 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Hmm - that sounds like plenty of exercise then.

I must be related to boredom but can't really see why she is bored! Have you done plenty of training with her? Some dogs need to keep learning new stuff to keep them busy. Usually dogs like collies but some labs too.

She's a lovely looking dog BTW!
Old 24 June 2009, 06:08 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I was chatting with Rose about Lily (our black lab) and she said that Lil was a serious monster when a pup, chewing, eating, not wanting to walk (she'd just plonk herself down and refuse to move). Sounds somewhat similar to the problems you are having. Rose said that she grew out of it at around 2yrs old, so perhaps it's just a puppy stage thing.

It is a very good point about no long walks, labs don't have the best hips to start off with.

I would say to get her a kong like toy, but she'll munch through it if she's anything like Lil. a so called "indestructible" dog toy was demolished in under 10 minutes by Lil, most amusing taking it back to the shop within 30 minutes and asking for a refund.
Old 24 June 2009, 06:14 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus

It is a very good point about no long walks, labs don't have the best hips to start off with.
I was not aware that Labs had a serious hip issue!
How long is a recommended walk then? I seriously thought they were almost indestructable.
Old 24 June 2009, 06:15 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I reckon you can walk a lab a long way - just don't run or cycle with it until at least 18 months old - even then cycling with any dog is pushing it. If they have a good hip score, they should be fine with any walk/run. I race a fair bit (tris and 10k trail races) and my lab laughs at my pathetic efforts when I run with her!

Ours has ended up looking a bit like a full on sprinter - all muscle, no fat! Helps to never ever feed them "human" food. Recent pic:

Last edited by Matteeboy; 24 June 2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 24 June 2009, 06:17 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

We gave up filling the Kongs up with the stuff. They play with them more without than with lol.
Good old hide chews and bones keep them entertained for ages too.

Does she retrieve and search yet? Keeps the mind very busy too.

Quick Reply: Doggy house/garden destruction