Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sums up why 99% of students are thick as....

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2009, 11:19 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got ************ and Goat Smuggling on my CV.

Oddly, i was turned down for 3 jobs last week.
Old 23 June 2009, 11:32 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister was an A* student who went to college and got A-levels - she now sells products for a media company on a distinctly average wage. (funny enough, no hobbies)

My brother was also an A* student and got in the paper for being so clever in school + college, hes now at uni studying journalism. However clever he may be in education, hes the biggest idiot i know when hes not. not streetswise, always making mistakes, just in general common sense = zilch, again, no current hobbies

I wasnt an A* student, infact my highest grade was a C in school for english lit, i bunked off revision & exams to ride my motocross bike because i was getting good. i now work in IT earning the highest wage in my family and have a list of hobbies the length of my arm lol
Old 24 June 2009, 05:59 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not difficult is it - when going for an interview do some research, work out what the panel want to hear and tell them it. It's all called preperation. I left school with 7 GCSEs and have never failed to land a job because I prepared for interviews.

And these people are our future
Old 24 June 2009, 09:03 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
It's not difficult is it - when going for an interview do some research, work out what the panel want to hear and tell them it. It's all called preperation. I left school with 7 GCSEs and have never failed to land a job because I prepared for interviews.

And these people are our future
LOL: and you STILL can't see that the word PREPARE would lead to the word PREPARATION?

Only joking, guy Probably a typo...........
Old 24 June 2009, 09:35 AM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrighty338
i now work in IT earning the highest wage in my family and have a list of hobbies the length of my arm lol
I wouldn't say salary is a good measure of success. Some of the most miserable people I know work in IT and earn more than me.

Trending Topics

Old 24 June 2009, 09:41 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

So anyone here got a degree then?! Mine has come in handy many many times even though I don't directly use it.

I wouldn't give up what we do with it's flexibility and enjoyment for the highest paid city job - ever.
Old 24 June 2009, 09:44 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | The value of a hobby

Typical of how/why students are now taught what they need to know to pass exams/interviews, not decent all round knowledge and wisdom.
I don't care how clever/thick students are TBH.

Driving past Darlington 6th form college this morning. All the Lasses were out in short mini-skirts with low cut tops on. There was one stunner in a white dress. Absolutely gorgeous she was.

And all the lady students walking down Woodlands road on their way to college were all very pretty too.

Something about a denim mini-skirt on a good looking lass with tanned legs that gets me going every time.

Last edited by stilover; 24 June 2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 24 June 2009, 09:46 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
So anyone here got a degree then?
I've got 3 - on a CD somewhere
Old 24 June 2009, 09:59 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

See I never ever bash those without a degree yet those without seem to love trying to snipe at those with one (or two or three). Bitterness? Probably.

And hobbies are vital - had a number of interviews where surfing has taken precedent to the actual job!
Old 24 June 2009, 10:04 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
LOL: and you STILL can't see that the word PREPARE would lead to the word PREPARATION?

Only joking, guy Probably a typo...........
It was a long restless night after my flight was cancelled and the gimp in the room next to me insisted on listening to the films he was watching on his laptop at full volume until the early hours_

Fingers crossed today's flight won't be cancelled
Old 24 June 2009, 11:04 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k

It's because you misspelled "masturbation" - attention to detail is everything
Old 24 June 2009, 11:11 AM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

Some of us got to build racing cars in our spare time at Uni.

And then fitted in Shooting and Gliding as well...

Might explain the 2.2
Old 24 June 2009, 11:37 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I have a degree which did open doors for me initially, but now I don't think it matters. I am still having to study for an NVQ4 because the job i do now is different to what I did at uni.

I also didn't do my degree in the "usual" manner, i.e. straight from school. I took 6 years out and then went back after doing A levels at evening classes. I have much more common sense than my sister for example who did it the "proper" way. (She does earn loads more than me though, so perhaps common sense isn't that important!)
Old 24 June 2009, 11:38 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Oh, and my hobby whilst at uni was to see how drunk I could get and still be able to find my way home. Good times...
Old 24 June 2009, 11:45 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

This whole CV and Interview stage actually really does concern me as I left school with only GCSE's and every job i've had has been thru the old boys network, whereas now I'm having to actively look and present myself its bloody hard

I had a phone interview on Friday and it really threw me sideways some of the questions they asked me, as i knew the answers but being put on the spot my mind just went blank.
Old 24 June 2009, 12:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think what the OP said and the link indicates is what a target driven society actually achieves, or fails to rather.

Like other government owned establishments, there are targets laid down and the schools are expected to achieve those targets above all else. This means that education now is slanted to getting pupils through exams etc. so the classes concentrate purely on that to the loss of a broad education which is what we all actually need in life and which will in fact help us to learn what we need to know and to have a much wider outlook on life.

Being taught such a narrow syllabus of course will be easier on the teachers, and the govt. can employ all those useless managers to generate and collate the targets achieved. Makes the employment figures look better even though they are expensive(to us) non jobs.

The losers of course are the students, and in the end, the country as well.

It is hardly surprising that these days, fresher students have to be sent on a crammer course to be able to even start a university course!

Les
Old 24 June 2009, 12:21 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [-(o)-]
Some of us got to build racing cars in our spare time at Uni.

And then fitted in Shooting and Gliding as well...

Might explain the 2.2
I chose my Uni (Swansea) for it's proximity to surfable waves first, the degree (Materials Engineering) 2nd.

Only just passed my degree but got a first in surfing the Gower Reefs, sha66ing, MTBing, going to the gym obsessively and drinking... All brilliant fun
Old 24 June 2009, 12:23 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by wrighty338
i now work in IT earning the highest wage in my family and have a list of hobbies the length of my arm lol
A list is composed entirely of **** sites you visit on the internet doesn't count, wrighty

I know from experience....my last job application was not well received!
Old 24 June 2009, 12:25 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Jamz3k

Try applying for jobs outside of Afghanistan, mate!
Old 24 June 2009, 02:09 PM
monotokpoint
Scooby Regular

NAT21 ''Typical of how/why students are now taught what they need to know to pass exams/interviews, not decent all round knowledge and wisdom''

You're not taught wisdom
Old 24 June 2009, 02:24 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by monotokpoint
NAT21 ''Typical of how/why students are now taught what they need to know to pass exams/interviews, not decent all round knowledge and wisdom''

You're not taught wisdom
I thought wisdom was something that came with age, rather than something taught.
Old 24 June 2009, 02:40 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

99% of students might be thick as ****, but what's the reason why the majority of post-schooling Scoobynetters can't even get...

there, their, they're

your, you're

to, too

its, it's (even within this thread)

...correct? Simple, basic, elementary English. Makes my teeth itch every single time.
Old 24 June 2009, 02:45 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Looking at the article, it seems it was the girl's first ever interview so no wonder she was bricking herself & lost for words. The idea that the teachers dish out hobbies to put on CVs is ludicrous and in this case did more harm than good. If she'd just put 'listening to bassline & hanging out with my friends' it would have stood her in better stead, instead of being spoon-fed crap by her teachers.
Old 24 June 2009, 02:48 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
99% of students might be thick as ****, but what's the reason why the majority of post-schooling Scoobynetters can't even get...

there, their, they're

your, you're

to, too

its, it's (even within this thread)

...correct? Simple, basic, elementary English. Makes my teeth itch every single time.
That's all good, but why don't you say "I" instead of "i" then (mid sentance)? Either history behind it, or profound hypocrisy on your part?
Old 24 June 2009, 02:49 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Neither. I just don't capitalise random pronouns in the middle of sentences, in the same way You don't capitalise Me, We, Them, Us and so on.
Old 24 June 2009, 02:56 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Neither. I just don't capitalise random pronouns in the middle of sentences, in the same way You don't capitalise Me, We, Them, Us and so on.
Fair enough, but it does smell of hypocrisy as it is technically a grammatical error isn't it?

I mean it with the greatest of respect... you mention about the spellings and grammar errors as per above, but make deliberate (or fail to correct deliberately) grammar mistakes. Thats where I get my hypocrisy idea from.

Again with all due respect.
Old 24 June 2009, 03:03 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

It's ok, i've been banging the i/I drum for years and years. I am STILL waiting for somebody to tell me why we irrationally capitalise i and no other personal pronoun. And until they do...

But the spelling errors i've detailed i find indefensible, pure and simple. Facebook, Twitter and all the other similar sites are jam packed with those errors, time after time after time. In fact i reckon you see you're spelt as your even MORE times than as you're!!! That's a sad inditement, in my opinion. So now we have "ur" to avoid the need to know at all.

One day all the grumpy old gits like me will be gone and the English language can continue its descent unchallenged.

Quick Reply: Sums up why 99% of students are thick as....