Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Conversations with a baby starling.

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2009, 07:14 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conversations with a baby starling.

Just sat out in the back garden for half an hour eating a sausage and chips from the local chippy, (just what I fancied for tea), and drinking a bottle of Bulmer's Pear cider, when a baby starling landed in the garden. It eventually ended up sitting on the end of the sunbed while I fed it bits of sausage.

The thing was really tame.

It then went and had a long bath in my water feature, including showering under the waterfall, drank some of it's bath, and flew up to the roof to call for it's parents.

Amazing, it had no fear of me at all. Hope it liked my sausage.
Old 23 June 2009, 07:17 PM
85rob
Scooby Regular

did u cough up the food for it, like a proper mummy bird?
Old 23 June 2009, 07:23 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
Just sat out in the back garden for half an hour eating a sausage and chips from the local chippy, (just what I fancied for tea), and drinking a bottle of Bulmer's Pear cider, when a baby starling landed in the garden. It eventually ended up sitting on the end of the sunbed while I fed it bits of sausage.

The thing was really tame.

It then went and had a long bath in my water feature, including showering under the waterfall, drank some of it's bath, and flew up to the roof to call for it's parents.

Amazing, it had no fear of me at all. Hope it liked my sausage.
Similar thing happened to me and Nat a little bit ago.

She was moaning about being bored and skint on her 2 weeks off work, so I made a deal with her... if she walked with me to post a letter (up on Brumby Corner), then I'd buy her some Fish & Chips from Carvers on Ashby High Street. Naturally as soon as food was mentioned, she was practically putting my trainers on for me

So we walk up Queensway, post the letter (well CD's for a member on here), then across down Ashby Road onto the high street.

Gor her some Fish & Chips from Carvers (any myself a couple of their legendary Fishcakes) and sat near the Spar shop on a bench.

Some random bird (I have no knowledge of wildlife) then came right upto our feet whilst we were muching and chatting away, and proceeded to let us feed it by hand. Couldn't believe how tame it was, then some fat bitch walked past with her 14 kids burping and smoking and scared the poor bugger off.

Amazing what detail you could see as it was so close.
Old 23 June 2009, 07:52 PM
yoza
BANNED

Most birds like getting fed sausage, nothing out of the ordinary there.
Old 23 June 2009, 08:19 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Jeff are you sure it wasn't just the painkillers kicking in !

LOL

dunx

P.S. after three years in, our pond is finally attracting our avian friends.... it is 24 degrees here !
Old 23 June 2009, 08:28 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YouTube - What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
Old 23 June 2009, 09:44 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
Most birds like getting fed sausage, nothing out of the ordinary there.
nice 1. just hope for your sake it does not tell all its mates, bring them round expecting food and shat all over your nice clean motor for not being in.
Old 23 June 2009, 09:50 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

for all you bird lovers, if you truly are amazed by the cleverness of birds then type into you tube LYRE BIRD david attenborough. (would copy and paste but my pc is broke and this laptop is not fully set up for streaming etc.), now THATS a CLEVER BIRD.
Old 23 June 2009, 10:16 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by my06 ppp silver
for all you bird lovers, if you truly are amazed by the cleverness of birds then type into you tube LYRE BIRD david attenborough. (would copy and paste but my pc is broke and this laptop is not fully set up for streaming etc.), now THATS a CLEVER BIRD.
Oh this one wasn't that clever: it fell in the water feature TWICE while bathing
Old 24 June 2009, 09:45 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Had a similar one a couple of weeks ago - a baby great tit ( no puns please ! ) came and sat on the arm of my bench in the garden while I was there, and was hopping about and singing to me, then it let me stroke its chest and head for about 5 minutes before happily flying away ( bet its parents gave it a right b0llocking when it got home though ! )

We do quite well for birds in our garden ( could be all the food we put out for them ) - have got blackbirds nesting in our honeysuckle, and a pair of doves who live in one of the conifers at the back, plus loads of small birds come to have a wash or drink in our waterfall on the pond.
Old 24 June 2009, 10:15 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

We've got blackbirds nesting in the ivy on the garage, Coal **** in the nesting box, Goldfinches in one of the ornamental trees at the front, house sparrows in the ivy and I'm certain thre's a wren, but I'm blowed if I know where the nest is

I never knew what an amazing song a goldfinch has, until this year
Old 24 June 2009, 11:41 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
We've got blackbirds nesting in the ivy on the garage, Coal **** in the nesting box, Goldfinches in one of the ornamental trees at the front, house sparrows in the ivy and I'm certain thre's a wren, but I'm blowed if I know where the nest is

I never knew what an amazing song a goldfinch has, until this year
Its surprising how pleasant and relaxing it is to sit back for a while and watch and listen to nature. You are lucky to have the sort of garden where so many different bird species will settle. We get loads of sparrows, dunnocks, some Cirl Buntings, housemartins,pheasant, and a resident Buzzard which is a beautiful bird. We are a bit close to the roads though.

I reckon that baby bird had got your number alright-soft as butter!

Les
Old 24 June 2009, 12:49 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Les, I see what you are saying but at this time of year we have to listent to the bloody 4 am onwards Chorus and it isnt really pleasant, can cope with some mild twittering but the birds in the tree outside our house make a right racket, dont mind the tweety types but there are the Magpies, Crows and Blackbirds, the ones that shout ACK ACK ACK ACK and the bloody Woodpigeons cooing, very restful but they never shut up, then there is some kind of fight happenening, then a Cat gets involved, then its time to get up !

What with the bloody Milkman appearing at 2.30 am in a diesel Transit I never get a full nights sleep in summer
Old 24 June 2009, 01:24 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sorry J4CKO, but I had to smile at that one!

Its not a lot different here, but after a while it gets like living by the railway, if the train is late passing you wake up!

All I can suggest is double glazing.

I wonder which one it is that goes ACK ACK ACK!

Les
Old 24 June 2009, 01:40 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

We regularly have this in our garden (taken at the South end of it):

Plus woodpeckers, swallows, a rare colony of egrets, buzzards, the odd peregrine falcon, geese, all sorts of finches, yellowhammers, occasional godwits (rare) a multitude of various breeds of tit and more. Proper bird haven - we get twitchers from all over with their massive binos coming to see them all.
Old 24 June 2009, 02:07 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Sorry J4CKO, but I had to smile at that one!

Its not a lot different here, but after a while it gets like living by the railway, if the train is late passing you wake up!

All I can suggest is double glazing.

I wonder which one it is that goes ACK ACK ACK!

Les
They sound like the aliens from Mars Attacks.

Mars Attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia!
Old 24 June 2009, 04:48 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Could be Jackdaw, but more likely it's either a magpie, or a jay.

If it's a magpie, you have my permission to kill it.......the only bird I hate.
Old 24 June 2009, 05:52 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Agree with magpies - I welcome all birds into our garden, but if I see a magpie I'll go and shoo it away - they are the sods that keep ripping up the bin bags as well ! Only other ones I'd get rid of are Herons, although the ones around here seem to go for gardens with bigger ponds and steal the Koi from them rather than bothering with out goldfish.

We're quite lucky where we live as the part of the village we are in backs right onto miles of country and coastline 50m away, so we get a lot of wildlife coming in - in fact, its so quiet here during the day the birds are often the loudest thing you can hear.

Have quite a lot of bats at dusk as well this time of year, some really huge ones this year as well - I think having the pond attracts a lot of bugs that they like to eat.
Old 25 June 2009, 11:47 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Those magpies are evil alright. One of my friends has got some in his garden. He trimmed a couple of branches in their tree and they hate his guts for it. When he walks down the garden they sit there following every move he makes with their beady eyes. He gets the feeling they are going to put out a contract on him!

Les
Old 25 June 2009, 11:50 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Also been having magpie issues - they keep pecking our windows and hacking at the roof. Gits. Are we allowed to kill them?
Old 25 June 2009, 11:55 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Also been having magpie issues - they keep pecking our windows and hacking at the roof. Gits. Are we allowed to kill them?
Yes, in your own garden, on your own land. They are classified as vermin.
Old 25 June 2009, 11:56 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Cool! Time for an air rifle...