Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Holiday recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2009, 08:32 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Holiday recommendations

Could do with some ideas as to where is ok, not after ultimate luxury or anywhere massively exotic but want to avoid the Blackpool on the Med type places, have not got a massive amount to spend as there is five of us, only after a week sometime in the school holidays.

After actual resort names/hotels, also how much is a realistic minimum as dont want to go much over £1500, might be a bit unrealistic, I dont know as we have only done ski-ing holidays or stayed in Anglessey for the last few years but want to do something that starts and ends with a trip on a Plane and involves some heat.
Old 22 June 2009, 08:37 PM
Theo Bolster
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good evening sir, i can recommend the island of Tobago .I go back there every year to visit my gramps . The ocean ,the girls and the rum are all beautiful
Old 22 June 2009, 08:46 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Jacko obviously you'll have spends on top of that, why dont you do spend a little more on an all inclusive to maybe Tenerife or somewhere similar?
Old 22 June 2009, 08:52 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
Jacko obviously you'll have spends on top of that, why dont you do spend a little more on an all inclusive to maybe Tenerife or somewhere similar?
Its going to be a stick on the card job anyway, not my style but am sick of not going anywhere, the kids are going on school holidays anyway so that has cut into the budget somewhat, my thinking is that the kids are getting older, I can earn more money but I cant get the years back that we dont go anywhere, ok we got to Wales and that nice but I need a change and to see what everyone else does, never really went abroad as a kid other than a school ski trip but though i love ski-ing I just fancy some sun !!!
Old 22 June 2009, 08:55 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Theo Bolster
Good evening sir, i can recommend the island of Tobago .I go back there every year to visit my gramps . The ocean ,the girls and the rum are all beautiful
Welcome to SN, Theo.

I must say, Bolster is an unusual name. Where does it originate?

Anyway back on topic, tell me more about Tobago. I'm interested in heading out in that direction this autumn.
Old 22 June 2009, 08:56 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Just had a quick on Thomson around various Canaries for 2 adults and 3 children will cost roughly £2300-3000 but this is with all food and drink plus booze for the adults.
Old 22 June 2009, 09:01 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Villa in Tuscany? If you haven't been before, then well worth it for a family holiday. If this is what you might like I'll pm you a cracker I've used before.

Either that or a nice French gite in Brittany?
Old 22 June 2009, 09:04 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
Just had a quick on Thomson around various Canaries for 2 adults and 3 children will cost roughly £2300-3000 but this is with all food and drink plus booze for the adults.
Thats what I was thinking, too much really, its a bit of a double whammy having kids, you pay for them and generally you cant go when its cheap !
Old 22 June 2009, 09:05 PM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

Location: Daily drive is a Scoob again - just what it should be!

Friends have just returned from Greece - self catering with two kids - holiday £900 & spends including food £600.

There are some great places in Greece - unspoilt & inexpensive.

We went to Halkadiki last year (but that was 5* all inclusive - only because someone else paid) but there are some great offers out there if you look! And it is so not like Blackpool or Benidorm !!
Old 22 June 2009, 09:05 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jye
Villa in Tuscany? If you haven't been before, then well worth it for a family holiday. If this is what you might like I'll pm you a cracker I've used before.

Either that or a nice French gite in Brittany?
Jye, that would be good, wasnt really thinking of France but I would imagine that could be nice (no pun intended)
Old 22 June 2009, 09:06 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Thats what I was thinking, too much really, its a bit of a double whammy having kids, you pay for them and generally you cant go when its cheap !
Do you want it to be 1500 quid all in, if so i think you'll struggle tbh.
Old 22 June 2009, 09:08 PM
Theo Bolster
BANNED

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Welcome to SN, Theo.

I must say, Bolster is an unusual name. Where does it originate?

Anyway back on topic, tell me more about Tobago. I'm interested in heading out in that direction this autumn.
Get yourself out to Crown point my friend its excellent for fishing
Old 22 June 2009, 09:08 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Can't beat Camping at £5 a night ................... I'm not joking either!
Old 22 June 2009, 09:35 PM
yoza
BANNED

Stay in this country, this year, dont get ripped off.

I believe we will get the weather this year.

I am not bothering going away this year Im going to NewQuay,Cornwall.

Ive done Turkey/Lara beach-DelphinPalace 5 star all inc for the last two years, Mexico/Alcudia/Lanzorote/Tenerife/GranCaneria years before that.

I have seen the decline of Spanish type destinations from as far back as when the Peseta went, once the Euro had got a hold everything went down hill.

A guy at work went away to Ibiza in April, he changed £800 at the airport and got 780Euro's in return, whats that all about, I seem to remember getting nearly double back.
He didnt get any more for his money when he got there, he spent a fortune, and did nothing out of the ordinary.

Anyway, Im not doing the £3,500 full hog this year.

NewQuay Steam here we come.

Its nice to get on a plane, be guaranteed, luxury, sun, etc, but to be honest I feel I need a break from it.

Last edited by yoza; 22 June 2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 22 June 2009, 09:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza

Its nice to get on a plane, be guaranteed, luxury, sun, etc, but to be honest I feel I need a break from it.
You poor Lamb don't know how you do it what with your watch commitments !
Old 22 June 2009, 09:43 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

had a mate go to bulgaria last month. family of 4 all inclusive and flights for 10 days was £1700. beer, ice creams etc all day and night free. he said he took the pish, boxed off the right people, barman, maid, chef etc. and had a great time.
Old 22 June 2009, 10:09 PM
yoza
BANNED

Originally Posted by J4CKO
You poor Lamb don't know how you do it what with your watch commitments !
Its too hot for a 4 year old in Turkey, going away and hearing him say after the second night.."Can we go to Nannies Caravan now" was heart breaking.

We could have gone to nannies caravan and saved £3,500..FFS !

Its all the fecking about that does my head in, the waiting for bags/queueing for everything/coaches/airport check in/delays/airport chauffuers/pre booking seats/hotel check in/jostling for position in a multitude of queues on the way back/worrying about the bag weight/worrying as to whether the plane is going in....
The language problem, Im a scouser so English people dont undersand me therefore foreigners have no chance..
Flying home to Glasgow, when you were supposed to fly to Manchester and not being told until your on the plane. You have no control.

I would like to buy a package holiday abroad were they put you to sleep on your doorstep then wake you up in your hotel room, and the same on the way back.

Im going to NewQuay in my truck, with my family and my bike and if its ****, or anyone wants to go home, or to nannies caravan, I will say yes no problem, close the door over on that caravan and get in the truck, lets GO.....Im in control.
Old 22 June 2009, 10:19 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

I would recomend turkey. Just back from kusadasi, good food, weather, people and not over expensive. I think you will get a family of 4 there for £1600 (all inclusive) if you shop around. Try direct holidays, part of Thomas cook.

Last edited by jonny_693; 22 June 2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 22 June 2009, 10:22 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by yoza
We could have gone to nannies caravan and saved £3,500..FFS !

Im in control.
Ye canny beat the British spirit for exploration

Thankfully I'm not dictated to about my travels by a 'small person'. And yeah you're in control, 'I guess'
Old 22 June 2009, 10:39 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I'm a big fan of the mountains in the summer.

Last minute have some half board deals in Austria for £250 each.

As has already been mentioned, if you can borrow lots of camping kit that could be a good way.....but with 5 of you, you might need a big car! We had 10 days in Switerland a few years ago for about £1000.
Old 23 June 2009, 10:55 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

We went to Sharm at half term- all inclusive 5* for £2200. We went on the Tuesday - if we'd gone Thursday it would have been approximately half the price- but eldest daughter needed to be back for her last A-levels.
Old 23 June 2009, 11:23 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Jacko, Casa di Pruneta Tuscany - Villa - Garfagnana

Unfortunately the prices have went up a bit since we went, still a bargain IMO. I guess it would be worth it if you were going with another family, or more family members. It was just me and the missus and we had the place to ourselves for two weeks. A hire car is a must. Plenty for kids to do, lovely mountain walks and a huge national park nearby. They include mountain bikes and even a real clay pizza oven if you're up to the job. All the land and woods in the photos are part of the property and must cover about 20 acres or more.

The view from the balcony / terrace. I really missed waking up to that every morning

Old 23 June 2009, 01:04 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Its got to be turkey, its cheaper than anywhere else guaranteed sun, and also ai with three kids
id reckon about £350 - £450 per person, for an ok all inclusive.

dont get the cheapest one you can find, we walked past some the other week and the pool was smaller than our room. you cant beat that feeling of pulling up in the transfer coach and the relief that it looks ok, we stopped off at some right ****ters on the way to ours,

dont skimp you are only there a week,

Palm Wings Beach Resort (Altinkum, Turkey) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

have alook on teletextholidays website or sunwings, Belek seems to be the place to go as well.
Old 23 June 2009, 01:39 PM
JRFRACE
Scooby Regular

Did a similar villa holiday in tuscany last year, was lovely

Or something a little different visit the island of Elba of the Italian coast, you can eat at my cousins restraunt! and they speak english (but are italians, not those 'english people set up abroad') types. It's a lovely place

The guy who listed all the places he'd been, it looks like you've visited the front covers of the travel brochures, i'd suggest going off the beaten track a bit more?
Old 23 June 2009, 02:17 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

How about SW France (not Biarritz)? Lovely sea, surf and mountains nearby.

Not far either. I love it there.

Also Ericeira 40 mins north of Lisbon (Portugal) - magical place (and good surf too).

One other place is Llafranc in Spain (Med coast, nr France) - not sure where you are but you can get cheap flights to Girona Ryanair) and the place is stunning - and pretty unspoiled.
Old 23 June 2009, 04:03 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

You can do worse than go to Menorca. We went to Cala'n Bosch, nice friendly atmosphere, enough for the kids to do, no 18-30 types etc
Old 23 June 2009, 04:05 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Menorca is very nice - especially if you hire a boat.

In fact all the Balearics are great.
Old 23 June 2009, 05:30 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I hear there are cheap deals to Praia de Luz.....

Seriously though.... Not sure what sort of holiday you are after Jacko, is it just somewere sunny to sit on your **** by the pool / on a beach for a week? Do you need hotel facilities, kids clubs etc etc.

I can recommend a quiet spot on the Algarve called Falesia. Its a short trip from Albuferia if you wanted to take the family up there for a day out or evening out. Falesia has its own beach which is a few minutes walk from the town, there are lots of great restaurants which are keenly priced, and the usual local supermarket.

We stay at vila olimpica Vila Olímpica

They never seem to fill the apartment block, they allocate every other apartment so you dont get noisy neighbours. My wifes mum is staying there at the minute, and she is a fussy as a big fussy thing when it comes to accommodation.

If you go, make sure you take the kids to see this FIESA 2009 - 7º Festival Internacional de Escultura em Areia - ALGARVE - PORTUGAL it is an awesome sight - for adults or kids!

Depends what you are after though, we have stayed here 4 times now and we will be back.
Old 23 June 2009, 05:44 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Jye that looks a cracking place mate. Very interested in the details. How easy is it to get to? I need some ideas for next year that are no where near as pricey as where we are going this year and that villa with its own pool looks spot on. I can't stomach the idea of going away in this country as I just know what ever week I book will be **** weather and I wont feel like i've had a holiday
Pretty easy Bob, we got a cheap flight to Luca and then it's about an hours drive from the Airport to Castelnuovo di Garfagnana. If you want any more photos just let me know. The owner and his son were great, kept away unless asked and when asked they visited us for lunch with a large bottle of olive oil from thier own grove and some cracking wine. All they asked was that we occasionally watered the plants. The scenery around this area is simply stunning, breathtaking and I'd go back in a minute.

Tuscany blows Menorca out the water imo.

Quick Reply: Holiday recommendations