Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

London to Brighton

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2009, 03:19 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default London to Brighton

As some of you know, I sadly lost my neice a few weeks ago. The staff at St George's in Tooting, where Miya had been in since birth last September, have been nothing less than fantastic all the time she was there and have helped all the family through a very difficult time since she passed away. Virtually the entire paediatric ICU department attended the funeral too.

Anyway, the family are keen to raise some money for the paediatric wards (not just ICU) and a number of 'events' are being held in the next few months.

I'm keen to do the London to Brighton cycle race next year (too late to enter this year) and was wondering who here might have done it and what to expect? I used to be as fit as a fiddle but my right knee if now FUBAR, so what can I expect?

BTW, thanks for some nice messages after Miya died - appreciated.
Old 18 June 2009, 03:28 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, sorry to here about your loss
I'm doing the London to Brighton on Sunday for the first time but a few of my friends have done if before and it sounds like great fun. I have done some training but not loads 5 or 6, 25miles rides on and off road, but its all for fun really so anyone can do it doesn't matter how long it takes you! Its for the British heart Foundation so a very good charity I have raised over £300.00 so far and I cant wait to do it
Old 18 June 2009, 03:33 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Have a look on BHF website. There are a number of "London to..." rides. There's a Windsor one, that I recall...

To Brighton....
Typically 24K entrants but up to 30-40K extras turn up on the day. This means huge crowds of people. Go for the earliest start time you can manage. I think 06:30AM is earliest, maybe 07:00AM. Even so, be prepared to queue.

Try to keep your wits about you in the crowd and don't egg yourself or mates on in the descents. That's why there are ambulances about! Two main hills, Turners Hill is just over 1/2 way and is a choke point with Police managing a crossroads. Ditchling Beacon is the "main event" and rises 800ft (I think) from the Village of Ditchling.

Brighton can't really handle the crowds of people that turn out for it. If you have a support vehicle, they'd best leave early and spend the day there or be prepared to queue. You can sneak off to the east and come in over the comon./golf course (I think) and use the multi-story off the east end of the beach/promenade.

J.