Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bone Marrow Business, Stage 3

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2009, 05:51 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bone Marrow Business, Stage 3

Another day, another procedure, its now T minus 19 days til harvest day and it was time for the last stage before I go under the knife.
This meant a day in the UCL hospital, just off Tottenham Court Road, near Warren Street. I was given a sheaf of forms to fill in, as well as instructions to be on the first floor of the Rosenhiem Building at 11am for a battery of tests.
I get there at 1050 and make my way up. Surprisingly I just walk in off the street and Celia, my test nurse for the day is there to greet me. She shows me into a room which I am assured I will become very familiar with. I am right at the heart of the heamatology department, this is where my harvest will take place.
Sitting down on beds all around me are people of verious ages, they all have one thing in common, they have a tube running from each arm and said tubes are connected to a large machine with rotating centrefuges on it. They are donating as I speak and seem to be fine. They even seem a little bored.
Celia sits me down on the bed and gets me a cup of water and explains what my day will consist of. Despite round two consisting entirely of blood testing, this was to be repeated before I donate. Another 12 vials are laid out

And my vein is spiked again.

I feel a little strange as my arm is drained, but there is no time for complacency, there is more to be done. I am unhooked and sent over to the main hospital building, I am not alone though, I am armed with this:

I am sent to the lower ground and first floors and there I am given a chest xray and an ECG scan. The chest xray is put straight onto the hospital server, but I get a copy of the ECG to take back with me I **** myself when the top of the ECG print says "ABNORMAL" in big letters, but this is apparantly due to all the exercise I have been taking, the "push" part of my heart which pumps blood into my arteries has expanded due to my running and requires a higher voltage to stimulate it. Its abnormal if I had been sitting round eating pies since january, but since I have been running I am fine.
On my way back though, I realise I am not fine. This is the reason why.

This was taken in the disabled toilet. Anyone waiting to use it for me would have heard 12 rips, followed each time by swearing. I might shave my chest for next time
I get back and hand the ECG to celia who nods approvingly and then explains what happens next. According to her, my recipient stands the best chance if donate stem cells over bone marrow, this means taking the chemical process rather than the harvest. I explain my concerns about this chemical rupturing my spleen and she explains that the spleen ruptures only if your white cell count reaches a certain level. This level is monitored throughout the process and if it gets close the process is stopped. So it seems like decision made then, Chemical Stem Cell retrieval it is.
Celia finishes for the day and I wait for the consultant to examine me. When he turns up, its in a hurried manner and he looks knackered. Despite this he takes the time to explain the process, then examine me. He tells me I am in good health (he is particularly pleased with my blood pressure, all that running must have done some good) and unless the bloodwork comes back with some real surprises I am game on for the process.
I leave at about 1500 after the doctor has finished with me. The familiar feeling of fuzziness following donating blood returns and I float back to my place in a chilled out haze of indifference.
T minus 19 days and counting. I get my test results back in a week, then after that its preperation for the chemical. I get my first injection on the 2nd, then another one every day til the 6th and my first harvest. Each injection will be accompanied by flu like symptoms, bone & muscle pain, headache and a general feeling of being unwell. What a delightful way to spend a summers weekend.
astraboy.
Old 17 June 2009, 05:55 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I've said it before, but well done for being a donor. A very worthwhile thing to do.

Steve
Old 17 June 2009, 07:14 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Thats a very honourable and kind thing to do, well done
Old 17 June 2009, 08:21 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

You are still my hero for doing that mate, good on ya

Sounds like something to look forward to huh!
Very brave man I agree, and indeed a big heart for doing this for a complete stranger.

If it makes you feel any better, its only a British summer you are gonna miss. lol
Old 17 June 2009, 08:36 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

respect

Mart
Old 17 June 2009, 10:21 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Total respect :