Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hi-tech household gadgets: do we need them?

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2009, 09:47 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi-tech household gadgets: do we need them?

We are constantly bombarded in the media by companies trying to sell us the latest gadgetry, but are they really any better than what went before? I must confess to being a bit of a luddite and am hard to convince that I need to spend my hard-earned on the latest gizmo/service.

Here's some examples of the sorts of modern products that I DO NOT possess and why that is the case:

1) Digital Camera: I am still not convinced that a reasonably priced model will give a better photo than my simple 1980's Nikon FE SLR and Canon Sureshot, which are still working admirably. I also hate the digital shutter delay and messing around with all the buttons/functions. There may be better cameras out there, but I guess it's a case of better the devil you know.

2) Wireless Broadband: the wire from my laptop into the wall socket works 100% OK for me! I really don't need to access the internet whilst on the bog or cooking dinner.

3) LCD/Plasma flat screen TV: I have yet to see a better image on a reasonably priced flat screen TV than on my existing antenna-fed Philips CRT model. The digital picture via Freeview is inferior to the analogue one.

4) SKY TV and the like: there's enough stuff on the free-to-air channels to fill my spare time, without paying for more. If I want to watch a big footie match, I just nip to the pub next door once in a while.

5) MP3 player / i-Pod: I am happy to walk/jog around without the pressing need to listen to music. I can always put the stereo on at home or CD in the car player if the desire is there. I guess they may be useful for train/bus commuters though, like the Walkman and Discman of old.

6) Blackberry or other such mobile internet access device: I just need my mobile for phone calls and (unless my employer was willing to pay for it), I would just wait until I get home if I needed to check my e-mails. These are really only practical for business people on the go.

7) Digital Radio: what's wrong with FM? Radio 5 on MW is of course the exception, but I usually only listen to that in my car, which does not have a DAB radio.

8) Computer Games Console: well I'm 38 and married now, so grown out of that fad, but I did have one of the first UK PS2's, which I have long since given away due to lack of use.

I'm not saying everything new is rubbish: I think Sat-Nav and Broadband internet are basically great ideas for example, but I just get the feeling that people are more intent on keeping-up-with-the-jones' than working out if a purchase really will improve the quality of their life enough to justify the expense. If you tallied up the cost of purchasing all 8 of the above items/services you would probably be looking at 3 grand or so: that would get you a half-decent classic Impreza!

Anyone agree/disagree?
Old 10 June 2009, 09:53 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I agree .... the Missus wanted one of those Washing Machine things .... I gave her my undies, some soap, a bag of pebbles and told her to go down to the river like everyone else in the 3rd world does!!
Old 10 June 2009, 09:53 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Your last comment is interesting -- I would say you could probably do without a car that can do 0-60mph in 4 seconds...

People 'want' these things it isn't that they need them, just a way to pass the time before death. Some people enjoy digital photography, playing video games etc...

Steve
Old 10 June 2009, 10:00 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
I agree .... the Missus wanted one of those Washing Machine things .... I gave her my undies, some soap, a bag of pebbles and told her to go down to the river like everyone else in the 3rd world does!!

Old 10 June 2009, 10:15 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I take a while to catch up on all the Tech stuff.

Digital camera?
Don't own one, but If I had to buy a Camera, it would be digital. Use them at work, and they are great.

Plasma/LCD TV's?
Don't have one. Keep saying I'll get one, but every time I do think about it there is another report saying newer/better technology is just round the corner.

Games console?
Have a PS3 & Xbox360. Hardly play on the Xbox these days. Always out. and only use the PS3 as a DVD player (Got it free)

Mobile phones?
I need my phone to do 2 things. Make a call, and make a text.

Broadband?
Have a wire sticking out the back of mine. Although I do see the benefits of having wireless. If I had a Laptop (have a tower ATM) I'd probably get wireless.

Sky TV?
Too much cr@p on Terrestrial & Freeview. (Only watch a few channels on freeview). Only really miss being able to watch certain things. But I can always go to the pub to watch the football, or buy a DVD of a series that is only shown on Sky.

Ipod?
I only got my first Ipod last year. What a great gadget. Just have it in the car, but I don't think I could go back to loading the car full of Cd's again. Great Gadget.

Digital Radio.
Have one at work. Listen to stations that I couldn't get on a normal radio. Plus the sound is always crystal clear.
Old 10 June 2009, 12:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
Even Mrs Leslie laughed at that, but she does not realise what a good idea I thought that is!

Les
Old 10 June 2009, 12:39 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

He who dies with the most gadgets... WINS!!!
Old 10 June 2009, 01:15 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Yep I'm with you on all except 1 and 3. No delay on my SLR, wouldn't go back to film now. Terrestrial and Digital service is patchy and intermittent where I am, no problems with Sky reception.
Old 10 June 2009, 01:21 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo2
1) Digital Camera: I am still not convinced that a reasonably priced model will give a better photo than my simple 1980's Nikon FE SLR and Canon Sureshot, which are still working admirably. I also hate the digital shutter delay and messing around with all the buttons/functions. There may be better cameras out there, but I guess it's a case of better the devil you know.
I adore my wifi camera, I can take several hundred photos, walk through my door, upload them to my computer then upload them to an internet photo album for my family to see within minutes + I can send a photo I like to my printer (wireless) and stick it on the wall, framed in under 10 minutes, if time were money.....

2) Wireless Broadband: the wire from my laptop into the wall socket works 100% OK for me! I really don't need to access the internet whilst on the bog or cooking dinner.
I am assuming you are using the modem your ISP gave you, in which case you are limited to one computer accessing the internet at a time. Wireless routers are so cheap now, advantages include having hundreds of devices on a home network, added security, media/music streaming, ability to use laptop in garden/garage/shed etc the list is endless

3) LCD/Plasma flat screen TV: I have yet to see a better image on a reasonably priced flat screen TV than on my existing antenna-fed Philips CRT model. The digital picture via Freeview is inferior to the analogue one.
Agree with both points, a HDTV picture doesn't have to be digital either; Japanese HDTV is broadcast over an analog signal.

4) SKY TV and the like: there's enough stuff on the free-to-air channels to fill my spare time, without paying for more. If I want to watch a big footie match, I just nip to the pub next door once in a while.
I don't pay for Sky or infact a TV licence, I hate adverts and being told what to watch and when, + I like to watch mainly American programs anyway which I Torrent.

5) MP3 player / i-Pod: I am happy to walk/jog around without the pressing need to listen to music. I can always put the stereo on at home or CD in the car player if the desire is there. I guess they may be useful for train/bus commuters though, like the Walkman and Discman of old.
My Ipod is only useful with an Itrip which only gets used in the car, basically you tune in to a certain frequency and the itrip transmits the tunes off the ipod wireless

6) Blackberry or other such mobile internet access device: I just need my mobile for phone calls and (unless my employer was willing to pay for it), I would just wait until I get home if I needed to check my e-mails. These are really only practical for business people on the go.
I need mine for remote server administration and VPN and several business applications, it also has its fun practical uses.

7) Digital Radio: what's wrong with FM? Radio 5 on MW is of course the exception, but I usually only listen to that in my car, which does not have a DAB radio.
FM is clear enough for me, I have no need to buy a DAB player.

8) Computer Games Console: well I'm 38 and married now, so grown out of that fad, but I did have one of the first UK PS2's, which I have long since given away due to lack of use.
My Dad is 58 but loves his PS3, I think you can be any age to enjoy a game console. The Xbox360 and PS3 anr more than just simple games consoles, they can act as HD players and wireless media centers/streamers.

My tuppence worth
Old 10 June 2009, 01:23 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Sometimes though you just have to have it. I love gadgets but I always do my research, take ages to make my mind up, and hate parting with the cash, but the end result is generally worth it:

I can't argue that your old cameras can still produce a good picture. It has taken a while for digital to be as good as film but it still may not ever surpass it. I still have and occasionally use my old Pentax K1000. However the convenience of digital is superb. I love to see instantly what I've shot and it sometimes gives me a second chance if the exposure etc. isn't correct. I'm not big on the post processing side of things but just the mere fact that it is easy to do is really cool.

My Canon 450D DSLR has no shutter delay. Admittedly on the Canon digital compact I own it is slightly annoying. The buttons and functions I have are pretty much the same as that for a normal SLR along with a few digital extra goodies but not an issue for me. I can still turn the dial to auto, shoot away, and get good pictures.

Fair enough, if that works for you then all good. For me the main PC is upstairs and the phone point is downstairs so going wireless saved me rigging up an extension lead. I have a laptop too and use it in several places round the house. Quite nice to watch something I've missed on BBC iPlayer in bed while the missus reads / sleeps.

Agreed. Still have my 32" Sony CRT as the main screen. Freeview is pretty poor compared to good old analogue. HD is probably the way forward but there's only a few channels broadcast at the moment so I'll wait before upgrading.

Used to have Virgin cable and the novelty wore off quite quickly. Only have Freeview now and don't miss the extra channels or the expense. Would only consider it for HD.

Took me a while to be convinced by this. Do like to listen to music at work as it helps me concentrate. Commute is in my car so no problem there. Occasional bit of air travel but usually entertain myself with the in-flight movies. But I've got a 160Gb iPod and being able to carry my entire music collection with me everywhere is quite cool. Mainly use it a work, but the mini system I have for the bedroom has a dock so I can listen to anything I like up there without having to go and find the CD

Got a PDA type phone. Don't need it as such but fancied one. Do use it for Sat-Nav too.

The quality on DAB is not supposed to be as good as FM. Have got a DAB radio in the bedroom mini system, bought it mainly because the FM reception was cr*p up there for some reason and it does improve it. Some of the extra channels you get are good e.g. Planet Rock

I love games consoles but just don't seem to have the time to dedicate to them now. Have got a Wii for when mates are round / or playing with the missus, but stopped at the PS2. Maybe when we've finished renovating our house a PS4 / XBOX 720 could be on the cards

I'm not saying everything new is rubbish: I think Sat-Nav and Broadband internet are basically great ideas for example, but I just get the feeling that people are more intent on keeping-up-with-the-jones' than working out if a purchase really will improve the quality of their life enough to justify the expense. If you tallied up the cost of purchasing all 8 of the above items/services you would probably be looking at 3 grand or so: that would get you a half-decent classic Impreza!
Not about the jones's for me. As mentioned each purchase is carefully thought out. Owning a good car is important too but again nothing to do with the neighbours just something that makes me smile when I go out for a drive in it
Old 10 June 2009, 01:30 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

1) Digital Camera: Nor was I but I love being able to take shots without worrying about getting it wrong. My compact (Lumix T5Z) has 10x proper zoom and fits in a pocket and takes better photos than any compact film camera I can think of. SLRs are too big.

2) Wireless Broadband: we have multiple laptops so need it. It is hateful to set up and drops the connection too often.

3) LCD/Plasma flat screen TV: Partially agree however we got an LCD screen (only 21") to save space more than for the picture.

4) SKY TV and the like: agreed even though we work with them...

5) MP3 player / i-Pod: no interest. Got a few tracks on my phone but otherwise hate file based music - cack sound quality, too much choice means overload time and you end up not listening to anything.

6) Blackberry or other such mobile internet access device:
Use mine (SE C905) to check the surf and emails - I like it!

7) Digital Radio: I like Chill and Radio 6 too much. We have three DAB radios - want one for the cars too.

8) Computer Games Console: last had one (N64) aged 23. Like you I'm too old and have better things to do than waste hours pretending to be a racing driver or Navy SEAL.

If anything has a hint of keeping up with the Jones' (e.g. massive plasma TV), I ignore it.
Old 10 June 2009, 01:42 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Bit by bit...

Digital cameras are possibly better in the sense that you can manipulate the images before printing and share them online for others to see. This may have financial benefits over having multiple copies of an original film made and posted to friends family etc.

Agree with that. I still have a Virgin media router for my desktop PC.

For this personally, the saved space and picture quality for my Samsung LCD over the old 24" CRT Panasonic TV is better for me. Trying to watch football for example is better on a 32" than a 24" and I think a slim TV looks smart/is easier to clean round the back over a big ol'd CRT.

Agree, freeview is good, and you can usually watch sports on the interweb now, albeit in poor quality. It depends on how much spare time you have and what you like to watch.

I don't have a seperate MP3 player, just the built in one on my mobile. I prefer this over CD as it doesn't skip when walking/running etc. MP3 CD's for the car using music off the PC for me, not the plug in ports and stuff like that.

That may be a requirement for your job perhaps as you say. I'm happy with my SE W960i and have only used the internets for cheating on quizes away from home or checking footy results

I'd like a little DAB radio in my kitchen as it simply has a vast choice of stations suited to my musical taste and a better signal (apparently) over a FM radio.

Don't have a games console, they don't really interest me any more and I'm only 24. Mrs has a DS lite and it's good actually, but I don't use it.

Old 10 June 2009, 04:44 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I'm afraid to say I love gadgets and have all of the ones in your list except games consule as I've never been into video games.

On top of that I have loads of other stuff including wireless music in most of the house etc.

When I build my loft bedroom I'm going to have a ceiling speakers in the bathroom so I can hear sky news in the morning whilst having a crap!
Old 10 June 2009, 05:51 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I think people are losing sight of the main issue here, the issue which drives technology to its very limits and the reason why the vast majority of people purchase these gadgets.

1) Digital Camera: Home-made ****

2) Wireless Broadband : Gigabytes of **** in a short space of time

3) LCD/Plasma flat screen TV: High-definition ****

4) SKY TV and the like: Pay-per-view ****

5) MP3 player / i-Pod: You can watch **** on them

6) Blackberry or other such mobile internet access device: See above

7) Digital Radio: Errr.. **** for the blind ?

8) Computer Games Console: Lara Croft's ****

So you see. Now it all makes sense
Old 10 June 2009, 05:57 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I have all of them, I use them for both **** and there intended purposes. I love progress, I like seeing what people can create, I love seeing that we are moving forward, even if the direction isnt completely clear.
Plus I am lazy at heart and anything that makes my life easier is good in my book. I dont need remote controlled blinds in the bathroom but it saves me from pulling the cord to shut the blind, how can that be bad.
Old 10 June 2009, 06:53 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Heres my take:

1) Digital Cameras: Disagree; My first digital camera was a Powershot A70. loved it and never looked back (I still have a powershot) ; After having prints butchered by supasnaps and the like, the cost of film, restricted to 24/36shots and not knowing what you took was any good. In program mode with AF lock on, shutter reaction is instant; delays are only occur by having all the automatic features turned on (which aren't all nessercery and can be overidden if you read the instructions ).

2) WiFi: Agree; OK when it works. PITA when it plays up. Never as fast as a wired connection in terms of latency and throughput or reliability.

3) LCD/Plasma flat screen TV: Agree, although top-end Plasmas are very good and do excel, but mucho expensivo. Even some high-end 1080p HD tvs suffer issues with picture movement and panning (on both SD and HD sources) that our old Philips CRT handles with ease. The natural image motion, blacks and general colour balance takes quite some beating. Also the sound; ok Dolby 5.1 and a sub built into a flat screen doesn't exist, but even then 2 channel audio is severely lacking to the point that a A/V amp and speaker package is a must for anyone who wants a flat screen TV to produce realistic audio.

4) SKY TV: Agree; the biggest rip off and consumer controlling media monopoly in this country. Look at how other countries do it and what choices and freedom the consumer has with regards to satellite tv. Sky should not be allowed to be both a broadcaster and a service provider (or Virgin).

5) MP3 player / i-Pod: Disagree having 80% of my music collection on a 20gig mp3 player that fits in the palm of my hand that I can take anywhere and play anywhere. No to iPod though, nope; not relaible and too controlling via iTunes. I use Archos, and have a 20gig USB flash drive in the car (my car can play MP3s stored on a USB stick). No CDs to scratches/fingerprints, no tapes to chew, and no dusty records.

6)Blackberrys etc: Agree; Whilst a mobile phone is now a technological swiss army knife; nothing is really essential. Infact the phone part as well except for emergencies - people are now so expectant that you must be contactable 24/7. Its a pleasure to turn the thing off or press "reject call". Especially if its work related and I'm not at work (i.e on holiday or days off).

7) DAB: Agree; Same shyte on the airwaves be it DAB or analogue. Internet radio though is boon for anyone after something a bit different to the usual commercial diatribe.

8) Consoles: On the fence; They are a laugh; especially in muliplayer, but also a small form of extortion in terms of costs of games. Consoles restrict and control market, restrict piracy and worldwide sales of games and alienate stuff made by non-affilated developers. Yet Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo still charge sky high prices for the privilige, nice. But on the plus side you can buy a game and "know" it'll work...unlike most PC games. When you "may" need a Nvida Radius XP9868000HDD super Pro X dual GPU card, 12gig of ram of quad channel 2-1-1-8 latency DDR10 RAM, 4 terabytes of RAID0 HD space and a 80GHz 12 core CPU. But even then it might not work due to a dodgy driver file.

Sat Nav; I don't have it, don't use it. I looks at maps (or google maps), memorise the route and go on inititative.

Broadband; Streaming **** and pirate film/music direct to your home. Who can argue with that?
Old 10 June 2009, 06:58 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Disagree with you completely.

I only need your highlighted items because as my older items have died, I;ve replaced them with the new items.

I want nice things - materialistic? HELL yes. What else should I spend my hard-earned on? My family enjoy the fruits of my labour too.

<writing this via wi-fi, sat next to my phone (can see my Ipod Touch and PDA in the corner), whilst listen to my Sky HD through my huge surround sound system, whilst my daughter's watching it on my Plasma>

Dan
Old 10 June 2009, 07:00 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

PS, sat nav is on my PDA
Xbox & Wii and DSs are also lurking in the background

My dslr camera will be out at the weekend as I'll be taking loads of pics to process on one of my many Mac systems

Dan