Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Brown to 'reform' electoral system

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2009, 08:24 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Brown to 'reform' electoral system

Here we go - we knew he would try something like this.

He is clearly going to try and rig the electoral system in Nu Labs favour in a last ditch attempt to cling to power. All dressed up as 'reform' of course.

The opposition need to watch the slimey one eyed c*nt like a hawk for the next 10 months - he is undoubtedly up to something and they must stop him at all costs.
Old 09 June 2009, 08:26 PM
spireite
BANNED

Robert Mugabe in disguise
Old 09 June 2009, 08:27 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

link?
Old 09 June 2009, 08:35 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

BBC NEWS | Politics | PM to unveil voting reform plan

This is quite dangerous, IMHO.
Old 09 June 2009, 08:37 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
link?
It's all over the BBC website (surprise,surprise)
Old 09 June 2009, 08:55 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's see.
He get's to run the country on the back of an election won by TB, whose Labour party managed to garner 35.3% of the vote in the last election.
With this 35.3% of the vote, the Labour party has a massive majority in the House of Commons.
Why would anyone want to reform such a democratic system?
Old 09 June 2009, 09:23 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Mr Brown will say there would have to be a referendum before any change could be made to the voting system.
Referendum? No chance of that, then , the liar promises those, then goes back on his promise
Old 09 June 2009, 11:12 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

This could actually be a good thing, anyone with half a brain knows that our system for electing a parliament is seriously flawed (as mentioned before you get huge majorities on the basis on way less than half the vote)

Some kind of PR or revised FPP system could work and make for far more representative government - now surely we can all agree on that.

I guess the big problem with PR is that we'll end up with the Liberals holding the balance of power and being in government from now till the end of time.

So if this is a genuine attempt to breath a bit of democracy into our system then in principle I'm all for it....as always though the devil will be in the detail. But I think it's going to take a seriously generous system that converts a Labour share of the vote of 15% into a majority

Last edited by Martin2005; 09 June 2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10 June 2009, 09:15 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Brilliant!

Brown tries to reform something which some on here moan about constantly and he gets slagged off about it

Mind you, I have to admit that it could win Labour another Election if it's done right ... very crafty, but you have got to admire the trickery!
Old 10 June 2009, 09:46 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Fiddling while Rome burns.

dl
Old 10 June 2009, 10:09 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
but you have got to admire the trickery!

This tells you all you will ever need to know about the conniving, dysfunctional, delusional bully that inhabits the No 10 bunker with his new found 'friend' Mandy - and the pissy one!!

Because they can't rig the votes that easily on a national scale, they are now trying to rig the electoral system.
Old 10 June 2009, 10:21 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

If they change anything, I'd hope it was that we get to vote for a leader, and not the Party.

That way Mr. One eyed w@nker wouldn't be in power now.
Old 10 June 2009, 10:31 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

The longer he leaves it the better it will be in the long term.

It took 12 years for the morons to forget how bad labour were and are.

At this rate we'll NEVER have to put up with another LABOUR Government - EVER.

If someone came up with a "Peoples Party" where you got to phone vote for policy decisions they'd be in forever !

Last edited by jasey; 10 June 2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10 June 2009, 10:45 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Doesn't anyone want to actually discuss electoral reform?
Old 10 June 2009, 11:03 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Martin2005
No because it only ever gets discussed properly when the incumbents have made a complete **** of governing the country.

So we have a load of old pish from Brown as he tries to save his neck / his party from the **** rather than trying to save us from the **** pile he's been responsible for.

I'd rather discuss why Gordon Brown refuses to call an election - that's all th ereform most people are looking for - get this shower out !
Old 10 June 2009, 11:04 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Martin.... I am not sure how you can have a thorough voting system. Every single on has it pro's and con's. PR is not my main worry. My main worry is voting in an election based on promises and reforms stipulated by the party in the run up to the elections only to find out that the said reforms and promises were just nonsense and that they never materialise. This leaves the voter feeling robbed and lied to.

I do not know how it would work but I would suggest that after every election (where the party is voted for) the pm has a one year or two year period and then a smaller PM only election is called for where the population can vote out the PM (not the party).... this would go to ensure some sort of method of ensuring that PM's etc actually follow through with their promises
Old 10 June 2009, 11:05 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by hutton_d
I agree BUT in the meantime he f^cks the country!

Dave
He's already done that.

The longer he hangs on the longer the memories will last - even for the Labour die hard retards
Old 10 June 2009, 11:09 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasey
No because it only ever gets discussed properly when the incumbents have made a complete **** of governing the country.

So we have a load of old pish from Brown as he tries to save his neck / his party from the **** rather than trying to save us from the **** pile he's been responsible for.

I'd rather discuss why Gordon Brown refuses to call an election - that's all th ereform most people are looking for - get this shower out !

But there would be no chance of electoral reform being in place for the next election. So it will have no impact on the scale of Labours defeat at the polls next year
Old 10 June 2009, 11:12 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Brown is not an elected Prime Minister. He now has increasingly a cabinet non elected people advising him. This is clearly wrong.

He has no mandate or God given right to interfere with the Constitution and voting procedures. That should be left to a proper duly elected Government.

There are not many more people left to desert the the Labour Government and Labour Party, but this move of his, certainly will cause him more damage.

The Queen should intervene immediately and dissolve this worthless Government.
Old 10 June 2009, 11:16 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Brown is not an elected Prime Minister. He now has increasingly a cabinet non elected people advising him. This is clearly wrong.

He has no mandate or God given right to interfere with the Constitution and voting procedures. That should be left to a proper duly elected Government.

There are not many more people left to desert the the Labour Government and Labour Party, but this move of his, certainly will cause him more damage.

The Queen should intervene immediately and dissolve this worthless Government.

Reading this it's hard to understand whether you are in favour of constitutional reform or not.
Old 10 June 2009, 11:20 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I suppose it depends on the reason by the reforms...... for the benefit of the public or for the benefit of a floundering party
Old 10 June 2009, 11:25 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
I suppose it depends on the reason by the reforms...... for the benefit of the public or for the benefit of a floundering party
As I said before, it's unlikely that any electoral reforms could be in place for the next GE therefore ,(at face value at least) I'm all for this being look at.

Hopefully it's going to be broader than just electoral reforms and will alos cover off

A written constitution / bill of rights

House of Lords reform

Increasing the power of parliament

Last edited by Martin2005; 10 June 2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10 June 2009, 12:04 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

This could actually be a good thing, anyone with half a brain knows that our system for electing a parliament is seriously flawed (as mentioned before you get huge majorities on the basis on way less than half the vote)

Some kind of PR or revised FPP system could work and make for far more representative government - now surely we can all agree on that.

I guess the big problem with PR is that we'll end up with the Liberals holding the balance of power and being in government from now till the end of time.

So if this is a genuine attempt to breath a bit of democracy into our system then in principle I'm all for it....as always though the devil will be in the detail. But I think it's going to take a seriously generous system that converts a Labour share of the vote of 15% into a majority
Martin,

Please can you explain the practical differences between our present system and the PR system and exactly how one is as you say more democratic.

Les
Old 10 June 2009, 12:12 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
Brilliant!

Brown tries to reform something which some on here moan about constantly and he gets slagged off about it

Mind you, I have to admit that it could win Labour another Election if it's done right ... very crafty, but you have got to admire the trickery!
Good to see you accepting the truth of it all Pete, but why should we be expected to admire yet another blatant attept to fool us all and fiddle the next election.

The next thing will be a change to all postal votes and we know how easily that system can be abused!

Les
Old 10 June 2009, 12:15 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Martin,

Please can you explain the practical differences between our present system and the PR system and exactly how one is as you say more democratic.

Les
It's about being more representative, here's what I mean

At the 2005 general election

Share of Vote
Labour 37%
Con 33%
LD 22%

Seats
Labour 356
Con 209
LD 53

Share of seats
Labour 55%
Con 32%
LD 8%

Under a PR system the fair share would be more like
Labour 241 seats
Con 215 seats
LD 143 seats

So a PR system is inherently 'fairer' that the FPTP we currently have
Old 10 June 2009, 12:17 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

1 vote for labour counts as 20 now and 100teenthousand votes for other parties counts as 2 votes for labour.
You can elect your local MP's but only if they are Labour MP's and if there are no Labour MP's then Labour win there automatically.
All ballot papers from now onwards will ONLY have Labour on and they will put the cross in the box for you to save you time.
Old 10 June 2009, 12:17 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Absolutely not! Who would write it? Yep - the politicos who are part of the problem now. It would be massively in favour of what we, the electorate, would have to do for the state rather than any rights *we* would have 'by rights'. If you cite the US , their constitution was written in a vastly different scenario from what we have today, thus is not really a good example. And check out the US news/blogs. Even that is getting chipped away bit by bit.

Dave

When you say 'absolutely not' do you mean absolutely not debate and discuss it?

Quick Reply: Brown to 'reform' electoral system