Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why Did The Tories Not Do MUCH Better?

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2009, 11:40 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Did The Tories Not Do MUCH Better?

OK, I hope most people here will not see me a troll, so I'll ask the question. Albeit with less inflamatory wording!

At the same point in the cycle of Government, when the Tories were in power - Labour got 44% of the vote. This time round the Tories get 26%.

The Tories should have been away over the hill and out of sight by now - the fact they are not is puzzling, is it not? Or can it all be put down to voter apathy following the expenses row?

I hope the SN Gods will see this as an honest question, to encourage debate, not an attempt to troll.

We shall see.
Old 09 June 2009, 11:48 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
OK, I hope most people here will not see me a troll, so I'll ask the question. Albeit with less inflamatory wording!

At the same point in the cycle of Government, when the Tories were in power - Labour got 44% of the vote. This time round the Tories get 26%.

The Tories should have been away over the hill and out of sight by now - the fact they are not is puzzling, is it not? Or can it all be put down to voter apathy following the expenses row?

I hope the SN Gods will see this as an honest question, to encourage debate, not an attempt to troll.

We shall see.
There is a much much broader range of parties to choose from, and so many places to register a protest vote. Plus in the days before UKIP a large proportion of their vote would be natural Tory voters.
MP expenses has hit the Tory nearly as hard as the government, moats, duck houses etc
Plus it's kind of difficult to know exactly what the Tory's are going to do, as they are keeping their cards close to their chests
Old 09 June 2009, 11:49 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like ps lewis has hacked someones account

The fact is labour have created the perfect environment to deter more tory supporters from voting. You step outside your castle chances are you will get shot/beaten stabbed these days.
Old 09 June 2009, 11:51 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

And it's not that the tories are outstandingly good, it's just that the current shower in charge make Robert Mugabe look half decent
Old 09 June 2009, 12:21 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I think Nat has it right. I could never vote Tory as long as I live as I really do think Thatcher's government was the worst this country has ever had, yes even worse than Brown's mob, but it's close.

Now that is my view and I don't expect others to agree, but anyway that is not what this topic is about.

My point is having voted for Blair twice I found myself unable to vote for him again. It doesn't matter to me what policies the two main parties claim to have as they are basically dishonest, greedy, short termist, career politicians only interested in saying what they think will get them elected and doing things solely to line their own pockets rather than for the good of the country.

With no other party representing my views I therefore find myself unlikely to ever vote again. Sad, but true.
Old 09 June 2009, 12:32 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

If you do not vote then you can not complain really..... people who voted labour last time around should not complain either.
Old 09 June 2009, 12:32 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Well, as the poster of the original question for which I received a slap wristie

My opinion is that the Tories, if they really would be able to have a majority in Parliment, need to do far better than they have done.

And, if they cannot gain enough support to form a Government when we are in the biggest world recession in living memory, they are - quite frankly - not Electable.

As has been noted above, those who remember the last Tory Government know that it was worse than it is now ..... yes, I know, hard to believe unless you lived through it - but true.

By the way, I do not recognise the word Troll or Trolling - not when it is simply a different point of view .....
Old 09 June 2009, 12:36 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
If you do not vote then you can not complain really.....
Why not?

Look let me give you an anology. Your local pub serves bitter and lager. You like bitter yet one day you go there and it only serves lager. So you have a legitimate complaint, you have a nice big moan, you try to get the pub to bring back bitter, but ultimately you give in and find another pub.

See you in Australia
Old 09 June 2009, 12:37 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Move to Australia then.
Old 09 June 2009, 12:38 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

I think the Tories did ok, but as said before the expenses row hit every one. Plus the turn out was pretty poor. Who knows what would happen in a General Election.

But it really is time for the current Government to go. Brown would have been canned yesterday, but the party accepts they dont have a replacement. What a poor situation they are in!
Old 09 June 2009, 12:39 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
By the way, I do not recognise the word Troll or Trolling - not when it is simply a different point of view .....

You might want to consider your posting style then, the thread that was locked was blatant trolling.
Old 09 June 2009, 12:39 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Move to Australia then.
Er... yes that's what I meant...that's the plan! Sorry it was too cryptic for you
Old 09 June 2009, 12:47 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

F1... on a serious note will you still vote by proxy?
Old 09 June 2009, 12:54 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

F1... on a serious note will you still vote by proxy?
No, I think if you have left somewhere behind to live in another country then you should waive your right to vote in your country of origin. I know some of the things happening 'at home' can still affect you etc. but really it doesn't seem right to me. Just my way of thinking.
Old 09 June 2009, 01:01 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
You might want to consider your posting style then, the thread that was locked was blatant trolling.
A posting 'style' is NOT Trolling - everyone knows that.

Maybe I am challenging in my posting style? most can accept that and take it for what it is.
Old 09 June 2009, 01:03 PM
stuart n
Scooby Regular

If any of you watched the news last night they spoke to a lady from 1 of the polling companies.
She said the share of the vote was inline with their expectations, the big 3 parties always get a lower share in the European elections due to the number of parties. People also use the European election to make a protest vote.
However with the Tories taking the most votes in Wales for the first time since 1918 (i think) at these elections and taking the most votes in England at the last general election these are dark times for Labour, especially as the SNP wiped hammered them in Scotland. Even Darling would loose his seat if this had been a general election.
The Tories remain between 14 to 18% ahead of Labour in the polls for the general election.
Old 09 June 2009, 01:04 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
A posting 'style' is NOT Trolling - everyone knows that.

Maybe I am challenging in my posting style? most can accept that and take it for what it is.
I think you are challenged in your posting style
Old 09 June 2009, 02:49 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Iit is because although the voters dislike Labour they also dislike the Tories (nearly) just as much. They can remember the mess the Tories made last time and are not willing to vote to make that happen again.

The Tories have done nothing to "out" Labour or swing support to them.

The loss of support for Labour is just down to people not liking them anymore or being fed up with them.

The Tories have not attracted any voters to them. They thought that just the swing from Labour would be naturally to them - they were wrong and now must be crapping themselves.

The posability of a hung parliament with no overall workable majority at the next GE is very real now.
Nat,

Why is it that when the Conservatives have lost power that the economy has always been strong, and when Labour lose power, it is on the rocks?

Les
Old 09 June 2009, 03:00 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Its a result business, In the next 11 months we will see the result. NuLa are dead for at least the next 4 years, I think we can all agree on that. I would hope the Tories dont get a majority, its nice to have a bigger selection of parties.
The result is a bit of a mystery but a few things are clear.
Gordon Brown will get hammered at the Labour conference but will keep his job, after all who else whats to dirty there name with a few months of rule that can be nothing but disagreeable.
Cameron will be the next leader of the country, He will inherit loads of debt, snipers will say he is running things wrong (forgetting where the debt comes from) and he will get a term out of it, Maybe by the skin of his teeth he will get 8 years.
Gordon Brown will be remembered as the first man who couldnt count properly to run the economy
I will get into local borough politics in the next 4 years and promptly get fired for swearing too much.
We will all be having the same moan in 50 years time. The system is idealistic, not efficient. Until the WHOLE system changes things cant change.
Old 09 June 2009, 03:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

A bit of honesty towards the people would be a good start!

Les
Old 09 June 2009, 03:23 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

For all you who hate this government so much, a simple question

What would be different today had the conservatives been in pwer for the last 12 years?

Be interested to read your views
Old 09 June 2009, 03:56 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because nobody actually knows what the Tories stand for, so no-one wants to vote for them, merely against Labour. The BNP may be a bunch of racist bigots for instance, but everyone knows what their aims are. The Tory manifesto seems to be:

1) We're not Labour.
2) We're definitely not Labour.
3) Honestly, even if a lot of the policies look similar.

M
Old 09 June 2009, 04:48 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
For all you who hate this government so much, a simple question

What would be different today had the conservatives been in pwer for the last 12 years?

Be interested to read your views

Come on guys I would of thought I'd of had dozens of responses by now. You all seem pretty certain of how bad this lot are, so you should have no problems answering me......the silence is deafening
Old 09 June 2009, 04:54 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

So you are simply saying that the recession is the only problem labour has had in the 12 years and it is only the recession that is bringing them down?
Old 09 June 2009, 05:23 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

So you are simply saying that the recession is the only problem labour has had in the 12 years and it is only the recession that is bringing them down?
who is saying this?

Not me
Old 09 June 2009, 05:38 PM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
I could never vote Tory as long as I live
There are far too many people with this mentality.

My dad's next door neighbour is an ex miner and he votes Labour....when asked why, he "just does" because he always has, so if they change their policies tomorrow to something totally abhorrent, he will still f**king vote for them

Likewise, (I'm not saying they have), the Tories, like any party could change their views/attitudes/policies to something which suits you personally, but you could never vote for them? Madness

What happened to assessing which party fits nearest to your own views/values - Regardless their past policies?
Old 09 June 2009, 05:46 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stainy
There are far too many people with this mentality.

My dad's next door neighbour is an ex miner and he votes Labour....when asked why, he "just does" because he always has, so if they change their policies tomorrow to something totally abhorrent, he will still f**king vote for them

Likewise, (I'm not saying they have), the Tories, like any party could change their views/attitudes/policies to something which suits you personally, but you could never vote for them? Madness

What happened to assessing which party fits nearest to your own views/values - Regardless their past policies?

I completely agree with you, I think that your words should also be directed at the 'I only ever vote Tory' block on here though...for balance
Old 09 June 2009, 05:55 PM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

No worries, it wasn't party specific it was the attitude I disagree with

Quick Reply: Why Did The Tories Not Do MUCH Better?