Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Posting a parcel to the us ??

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2009, 07:31 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Posting a parcel to the us ??

Looking for a bit off advice, need to send an electrical item to a chap in the usa, weight off item is roughly 2.3KG, having never sent anything like this to the us just wonder what sort off price you are normally talking about to send an item off this sort off weight via say parcelforce ?? customs - do I have to write out a form or does the post office take care off this when actually accepting the parcel from you ??

have a budget off around £40 to send the item - RM likely to be able to be able to do the job for around this price ?? would prefer the item to be signed for so I take it this will probably cost a little extra ?? item has a value off around £200.

just wonder if anyone here has posted anything like this to the us before and roughly how much you paid in charges ?? going to wrap the parcel up and actually get it weighed / priced at the post office in the next few days but again would just be interested to here from anyone who has posted a parcel to the us via RM ???
Old 09 June 2009, 09:04 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Ask at the PO about "Small Packet Rates". I know this can be used for packs up to 2 kgs but not sure if you can send heavier items this way. You simply write "SMALL PACKET" in top left hand corner and it goes standard air post. You have additional options like insured and signed for. You will need a customs form stuck on front and your address on back. Cost for basic post will be less than £10. dl
Old 09 June 2009, 05:29 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice mate appreciatte that.
Old 09 June 2009, 05:50 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

If its got a value, track it. I would.
Old 09 June 2009, 06:32 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

When shipping to/from US/Canada I'd always go for insurance, tacking and signature required. It might cost a little more, but it's peace of mind.
Old 09 June 2009, 08:36 PM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

Air Mail has a limit of 2kgs, but over this you can use Parcelforce Standard via your post office. Handy price finder on Royal Mail website.
Old 09 June 2009, 08:58 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Take it to the post office they'll sort it. You just need to fill in a small customs slip with what the goods are, the value and your signature. Tell them you want it signed for. I've sent plenty to the US and never had a problem. They usually ask if you need extra insurance, but again ask if you're not sure. You should be able to find most of this on the Post Office web site as well.