Law on walking dogs in recreation grounds or childrens parks

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2009, 08:02 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Law on walking dogs in recreation grounds or childrens parks

Hi all

Does anyone know the law pertaining to walking dogs in public sports/recreation fields or childrens parks ? Having a problem at my local park with dogs bounding into childrens play areas and knocking children flying.

Dave
Old 06 June 2009, 08:21 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I don't know the law on it, but common sense says they should be on a lead (dogs not the kids)

It drives me nuts when I take my dog out and have to use brute bloody strength to hold him when some other idiots dog that is not on the lead, makes a bound for him.
As for kids area/parks, the owners should be shot if the dogs are not under control. Have a word with the local Council
Old 06 June 2009, 08:25 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Its the warden at the local park pavilion who doesnt seem sure what the rules are so I want to gee her along a bit and tell her what they are so she can have the repeat offenders banned from the park. Have had occasions where the same owners labradores and bull mastiffs (so not small dogs) have chased my 2 1/2 year old son while my wife was fending them off the pushchair away from the 4 month old, nicked his football and punctured it, and then licked him, and also the pushchair. My wife was told by one of the owners to "pick the kids up". Its a bloody good job i was in Munich and San Francisco both occasions......
Old 06 June 2009, 08:27 PM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

Usually subject to bylaws and these are usually clearly on display in public areas such as parks and beaches.

Again, usually, dogs will be required to be on a lead when in a public park, especially one with children's play areas.
Old 06 June 2009, 08:31 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

This is interesting.
The dogs out of control bit

Dangerous dogs : Directgov - Newsroom
Old 06 June 2009, 08:34 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spooky Mulder
Usually subject to bylaws and these are usually clearly on display in public areas such as parks and beaches.

Again, usually, dogs will be required to be on a lead when in a public park, especially one with children's play areas.
What they said ^^

Also remember the definition on "under control" is rather grey. It does NOT mean on a lead, but just able to recall etc, and due to this, many parkies etc ignore it.

Drives me mad. I dont care if your dog does the can-can on command, people have the right to walk through a park without your dog, no matter how friendly or "ok" they are, running over, annoying, irritating or coming close to them.

Druddle, I feel for you, I would suggest an email to the local authority highlighting the issue, raising your concerns and seeking clarification on YOUR local bylaws.

I did the same a while ago and they re-signed the local park to make clear that LEADS ARE REQUIRED !
Old 06 June 2009, 09:41 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

problem is also that the friendliest dog on earth can turn on some people. I'm a big dog lover but I've seen dogs cross the road to have a go at a mate of mine. He's terrified of dogs which just seems to bring out the worst in them.

re the ones in the park, I'd be 'dropping' a sandwich full of laxatives for the *******.

Good luck

Gordo
Old 06 June 2009, 09:52 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

My dog is under control - voice control ..... and therefore doesn't have a lead on her.

Some half-wits cannot control their own thought patterns, let alone a dog.

Here's my girl:-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...e/8df3ec86.jpg
Old 06 June 2009, 11:30 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I have my dogs off the lead and running free in parks, they are under control in that they come to me when called they will walk beside me of the lead when told.

They need to be able to run free for their own health and well being a lot of problems dogs suffer are from the lack of exercise and stimulation frequently people complain that their dogs are badly behavioured (as if a dog understands this) and when you ask about off lead exercise and stimulation e.g. games and training people admit they dont do that and wonder why the dogs find their own stimulation by chewing furniture etc.

Parks are for all and dog owners are in fact more likely to be regular uses year round than any other group. if you go to a park on a december day with pouring rain it is only dog walkers who are there in any numbers.

As to control it is a 2 way street many parents have no control on their children and i frequently have to tell people to stop grabbing my dogs they are not soft toys for them to handle my two arent interested in other people and dont want to be touched or grabed but people look at me as if i am in the wrong for not wanting them to touch my dogs!
Old 07 June 2009, 12:39 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
My dog is under control - voice control ..... and therefore doesn't have a lead on her.

Some half-wits cannot control their own thought patterns, let alone a dog.

Here's my girl:-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...e/8df3ec86.jpg
Originally Posted by Adrian F
I have my dogs off the lead and running free in parks, they are under control in that they come to me when called they will walk beside me of the lead when told.

They need to be able to run free for their own health and well being a lot of problems dogs suffer are from the lack of exercise and stimulation frequently people complain that their dogs are badly behavioured (as if a dog understands this) and when you ask about off lead exercise and stimulation e.g. games and training people admit they dont do that and wonder why the dogs find their own stimulation by chewing furniture etc.

Parks are for all and dog owners are in fact more likely to be regular uses year round than any other group. if you go to a park on a december day with pouring rain it is only dog walkers who are there in any numbers.

As to control it is a 2 way street many parents have no control on their children and i frequently have to tell people to stop grabbing my dogs they are not soft toys for them to handle my two arent interested in other people and dont want to be touched or grabed but people look at me as if i am in the wrong for not wanting them to touch my dogs!
Fair play for having voice control over the dogs, and sharing the trust and respect with them.

However how do you identify and deal with people who are afraid of dogs? Or do the dogs give people a wide berth?

Genuine question btw.

Personally I choose to keep the dogs on leads unless they are in areas I can be sure they wont cause alarm to anyone else.
Old 07 June 2009, 06:39 AM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

I agree with everthing Adrian says, except that if you own a dog that can only be properly exercised by letting it off the lead in a place where that is inappropriate then you shouldn't have a dog in the first place.

I have had dogs all my life and yet even the most docile dog can get in situations, quite inadvertently of scaring someone, or possibly even worse.

And to suggest it is parents fault for treating your dog, that has wandered off, badly then to me as a dog owner it suggests you have your priorities very wrong.
Old 07 June 2009, 08:19 AM
Mark Mac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adrian F
Adrian,
I take it you don't have any children then......

A good pal of mine trains GSD's and Rotts for the American police and for personal protection in the UK. He has his own line in rotts and very well respected in that field.
To my point; every dog has a "Trigger" you may know what this is or not.
If your animal is off the lead around children and something sets the dog off, even the best dog handler will struggle to regain control.
I'm sure you have all seen on TV when a police dog is attacking someone, all the other police stay out the way until the handler has regained control, i.e got it back on the leash.
So for all you wannabe dog trainers out there, have a bit of common sense and keep your mutt on a lead around kids, enjoying themselves in a park.

Reconstructive surgery on a child's face is traumatic....
Old 07 June 2009, 08:50 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmmmmm, I can see BOTH sides of this, having had a "scary" dog, (Alsation, big lad, most people are wary of them and some are downright trerrified, no matter that he was a soft as..........), and two "boisterous" lads with NO fear of dogs because of ours.

Dog owners need to be aware that some people ARE just scared of dogs. As simple as that. They see a dog coming and either freeze, or, worse still, start raising their arms to avoid hands being bitten, dog sees threat and reacts, etc.

Some owners allow their dogs to jump up, ("oh he's only being friendly"), but are woefully unaware that to a person wary of dogs, this is a disaster waiting to happen, and to a scared person, it's traumatic.

Parents who DON'T have dogs are also unaware that SOME dogs are afraid of strangers, and if approached, or mauled, will react by at least WARNING that person off.........and it doesn't matter if that person is only 2, the dog WILL do it.

The warning often consists of a snap, not meant to hurt, not even to make contact, but the parent, of course, sees the dog trying to bite their child, and we have trouble.

My advice to both groups is to get YOURSELF educated, then educate your dog/child.

And keep scared/boisterous dogs/children seperate, for the good of both groups.
Old 07 June 2009, 09:41 AM
mykp
Scooby Regular

The law is simple, dogs Under control (this should also apply to those with kids) and pick up your dogs siht!

I walk my dogs in the park some days but never at weekend, my reasons are that at weekends people with children arrive and think the park is theirs because they have kids. Besides some parents see a single male walking through the park and automatically think you "must" be a peodophile.
Old 07 June 2009, 10:01 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

I think the basic answer is that everyone should be responsible for their own actions, and this applies both to dog owners and parents, rather than trying to blame someone else for their own laziness or lack of control.

If a little kid walks up to a ( friendly ) dog and starts hitting or kicking it, then its likely to have a go back. In this case it would be the parents fault for a) not teaching their child that hitting and kicking ANYTHING is wrong, and b) for not being there in control of the child to stop it.

Equally, dog owners should know the behaviour of their dogs, and if it is the sort to go bounding up to people and wont respond to voice commands, then they should keep it on a lead, or walk it somewhere where it isnt going to meet people.

Our dog is a Border Collie, and does obedience competitions, so is very well trained to respond to voice commands - however she is also very friendly, and has a stubborn streak, so if she is off the lead in our local park, and any kids come in, she is put on the lead as we can see how someone who isnt used to dogs, or is scared of them, might be nervous about seeing this dog pelting at them full speed with her mouth open, teeth showing and a mad look on her face ( when she reached them she would go into a sit next to them and wait to be fussed over, but they wont know that ! ).

If they are kid who are fine with dogs and want to play with her or make a fuss of her, we will let her off for a while, but always keeping an eye on her ( mostly to make sure the kids dont decide to see what would happen if they poked her in the eye or something ! ).
Old 07 June 2009, 11:25 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

MikeCardiff has summed it up.

Both dog owners and parents have the responsibility to control their dependants.

My dogs don’t charge up to people and jump up at them, as I have said they aren’t interested in other people.

But I don’t expect to have to stop other peoples children from handling my dogs without asking first, that is basic manners which I was taught as a child don’t touch without asking.

The problem appears to be that parents appear to think the whole world revolves around their children, it doesn’t we all have to live and share the same space.

As to me keeping the dogs on the lead when ever a person appears in the park in case they are scared of dogs that is as mad as the comment I hear at Crufts the other year when 2 people complained there were to many dogs and they got in the way of the shopping!

As to dogs being under control, the London parks I walk in have byelaws applying and in general dogs run free off the lead and people walk through and sit and have lunch on benches and everybody gets on great. The kiddies play area with swings and slides etc are normally segregated which appears to work well.

As to not owning a dog if you cant exercise it correctly I agree with that as dogs require exercise the same humans do but most people have access to Public Parks and Recreation grounds even in big cities and it is their right to use these being with drawn that I am objecting to, I don’t understand why a dog owner has less rights than a parent?
Old 07 June 2009, 02:26 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

makes me laugh when people anthropomorphise their animals

mind you my goldfish is usually quite a sensitive soul, but does get tetchy after a bad nights sleep
Old 07 June 2009, 04:52 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
However how do you identify and deal with people who are afraid of dogs? Or do the dogs give people a wide berth?
My dog never approaches other people, and if approached will acknowledge but not be over-friendly ..... anyone who has owned a GSD/Alsation will know that they are a one person dog and are uncorruptable.

I always think it sad when I see a dog on a lead - purely because the owners cannot handle the dog off the lead ..... a dog should run free, but also be under complete voice control.

I can call my dog from 200 yards ... and drop her at any point in her return - it takes time and effort in training but the rewards are massive.

People, even those scared of dogs, admire such a show of control - they are put at ease.
Old 07 June 2009, 04:55 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp

People, even those scared of dogs, admire such a show of control - they are put at ease.
As expected a rediculous statement.

People who have a fear of something, have a fear. They are not relieved of their fear by someone feeling they can prove its ok.

Its very commendable to command such control over a dog. But your masterful command does not stop people panicking, children being fearful, not give the best possible "control" over the dog.

Fair play for the relationship you have with the dog none the less.

As for dogs being on leads and feeling sad. I can control my dogs wonderfully thank you. However my chosen method is on a lead. For their sakes, for my peace of mind, and for other peoples feeling of security and safety.

Last edited by Snazy; 07 June 2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07 June 2009, 05:32 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

My own local council is very strict about this.

Dogs are only allowed to attack and eat children in designated areas which are clearly marked.

dl