Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How much water/fluids should an adult drink in a day?

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2009, 09:16 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How much water/fluids should an adult drink in a day?

I have looked ad a few websites and they seem vague to say the least.

In a normal day, i drink around 2-3 litres of water, i have pretty much given up tea and coffee except for a coffee in the morning. Recently i have been waking up thirsty and drinking during water the night as well.

does this sound right of excessive?

Last edited by The Zohan; 23 May 2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: edited for those new viewers, changed amount from 4-5 litres a day
Old 23 May 2009, 09:23 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

2 litres of water a day, thats the "recommended", squash tea coffee etc is not usually considered part of it.
You could be low on salt in your diet which will also cause dehydration.

I was having 8-9 litres a day when on my extremo diet with no ill effect, other than peeing for England.

Maybe pop to to the doc if it carries on. Or try getting some more sodium in your diet. Alternatively Boots etc do some good water additives to help with dehydration.
Old 23 May 2009, 09:26 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I've had health problems in the past due to fluid balance and been told by doctors to drink enough to maintain pee at a pale straw colour. Any darker, you're not drinking enough, any lighter, you're drinking more than you actually need. It takes serious amounts to be harmful on the too much side but it's easy to go not enough.

As for what that volume is, so many environmental factors come into play (sweat, breathing, temperature, diet), it's practically impossible to say but 2-3 litres should be sufficient.
Old 23 May 2009, 09:39 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Water intoxication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 23 May 2009, 09:39 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About 1.5 -2 ltrs a normal person,if your cycling or doing demanding sport in warm/hot weather i can consume 1 ltr an hour.If you can p1ss clear a minimum 4 times in a day then it's fine..weeeee weeeeeeeeeeee
Old 23 May 2009, 09:52 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Go on the colour of your p*ss; dark yellow; drink more, light/clear adequately hydrated.

Normally I wake up thirsty in the small hours If i've drank alcohol before going to bed. Stopped drinking alcohol, problem went away.

I usually drink about 1.5 to 2litres of fluids a day; Thats mostly tea. Bear in mind the body sources water from your food as well as what you drink; Otherwise our lower intestines wouldn't be of much use.

Last edited by ALi-B; 23 May 2009 at 09:54 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 23 May 2009, 09:52 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

do you think you cold be diabetic?
Old 23 May 2009, 10:08 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They do say that you can do damage to yourself by drinking too much water. Tends to dilute something or other too much. Can't remember now.

Seems as though your body will tell you when you need water well enough, and Ali B's visual **** recommendations are accurate enough too.

Les
Old 23 May 2009, 11:18 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

I only drink between 500ml to 1 litre of fluid a day and my pee is fine.
Old 23 May 2009, 11:35 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Its down to your activity; If your sat on your **** all day you don't need to eat or drink very much at all.

Getting out and about and more physically active changes metabolic rates and hydration levels drastically.
Old 23 May 2009, 11:49 AM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

The 2 litre figure was based on some scientific research done some time ago. However, it has been paraphrased over the years, the gist of it is 2 litres per day total from all sources including food. The pee colour test is the simplest way of judging if you're intake is sufficient. Another way to tell if you have become dehydrated is to pinch the skin on a thin area, such as the back of the hand. If it pings back straight away you aren't dehydrated, if it tents, you are, the longer it takes to return to normal, the more dehydrated you are. Often used by medical staff as a simple test.

Do we REALLY NEED To Drink 2 LITRES Of WATER A DAY??? - Fun Facts

Last edited by Removed.; 23 May 2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 23 May 2009, 11:56 AM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

I was once told "if you can fart loud and pish clear " your healths pretty good. Always worked for me.
Old 23 May 2009, 12:14 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
No. See my link. It's a figure with no basis in scientific fact. Unless you can point me at the 'scientific work' done which showed this?

Dave
How about you read my link as well?

The research was done in the US in the late 40's, early 50's. As part of my Biology O Level we watched a copy of the film that was made as part of the study. It was carried out as part of a nutritional study by some US government body. Unfortunately my memory isn't quite good enough to remember the exact details.

I think it was also featured in the BBC series last year that debunked a lot of food myths, using real science.
Old 23 May 2009, 12:31 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Its down to your activity; If your sat on your **** all day you don't need to eat or drink very much at all.

Getting out and about and more physically active changes metabolic rates and hydration levels drastically.
Ali, sitting on your **** all day is an equally if not more important reason to drink plenty of fluids. The bladder still needs to be exercised regularly to prevent urinary tract infections and the such like. 'Old' urine hangs around in the bladder like you wouldn't believe and we don't come close to properly emptying our bladder after peeing anyway. Bladder management is important to 'wash' it whatever the circumstances.

Paul, you shouldn't be waking up in the night thirsty if you are drinking as much as you are already. Pop and see your Doctor for a quick blood test if it continues.
Old 23 May 2009, 04:47 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Paul, I think 4-5 litres sounds a bit excessive, and if you're waking up thirsty and drinking during the night as well........... It can be a symptom of diabetes or kidney problems.

As pointed out earlier, alcohol dehydrates, and garlic/spicy/salty food makes you thirsty. Too much fluid can dilute the electrolytes in your body. Personally, I think you need to see your GP for a check-up. Or you could pm John Barnes?
Old 23 May 2009, 04:50 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

As much beer as possible and to avoid a hangover, stay drunk!
Old 23 May 2009, 05:41 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
As much beer as possible and to avoid a hangover, stay drunk!
I could do with a straightener now. Think the last few days worth is beginning to wear off.
Old 23 May 2009, 06:05 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oldsplice
Paul, I think 4-5 litres sounds a bit excessive, and if you're waking up thirsty and drinking during the night as well........... It can be a symptom of diabetes or kidney problems.
Thanks for the replies, been out most of the day.

Apologies, i meant 2-3 litres a day max baring in mind i do not drink anything else. I will go see the doc next week just to be sure. Pee colour (for those with an interest) is straw to clear in colour

Tam, your idea of a balanced diet is a pint in each hand

Last edited by The Zohan; 23 May 2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 23 May 2009, 06:12 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2 Litres a day is enough. That's what I drink in a day, and I have quite a physical job. My pee is clear most of the time drinking that amount.
Old 23 May 2009, 06:14 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood

Absolutely!
Old 23 May 2009, 06:22 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
Absolutely!
At least three times per day
Old 23 May 2009, 06:33 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Thanks for the replies, been out most of the day.

Apologies, i meant 2-3 litres a day max baring in mind i do not drink anything else. I will go see the doc next week just to be sure. Pee colour (for those with an interest) is straw to clear in colour

That sounds more reasonable Paul

Although as I said, alcohol intake could be making you thirsty during the night.
Old 24 May 2009, 07:15 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Funny the water thing - I do a lot of exercise and used to drink loads of water to make sure it was all okay. Recently I have been drinking much less with no adverse reaction at all.
I drink about 2 glasses a day and a bit more when cycling and running but that's about it.

All that happened when I drank loads is that I constantly needed the loo!
Old 24 May 2009, 08:14 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
I just drink when i'm thirsty and eat when i'm hungry (not bored, HUNGRY - a lot of people do not seem to know the difference).

If everyone just followed these rules then they'd be a lot healthier...
......apart from those that don't fit in to 'normal' physically fit category and drink fluids for a purpose rather than a thirst.
Old 25 May 2009, 12:23 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Spoon
Ali, sitting on your **** all day is an equally if not more important reason to drink plenty of fluids. The bladder still needs to be exercised regularly to prevent urinary tract infections and the such like. 'Old' urine hangs around in the bladder like you wouldn't believe and we don't come close to properly emptying our bladder after peeing anyway. Bladder management is important to 'wash' it whatever the circumstances.

Paul, you shouldn't be waking up in the night thirsty if you are drinking as much as you are already. Pop and see your Doctor for a quick blood test if it continues.
TBH thats sound more applicable to people who are bed bound rather than just desk-bound IYSWIM
Old 25 May 2009, 01:21 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

TBH thats sound more applicable to people who are bed bound rather than just desk-bound IYSWIM
Not at all, Ali. For one example, what about the thousands sitting in wheelchairs paralysed that otherwise lead relatively normal lives?

Are you to say a wheelchair athlete isn't active then?

My point was it isn't always as cut and dried as some people make out and there is often a middle ground totally overlooked by those who have no experience of such things.

Quick Reply: How much water/fluids should an adult drink in a day?