Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Travel to London ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2009, 03:54 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Travel to London ?

I travel to London with work every month or two, used to fly from Manchester to London City Airport, though the journey was short the inordinate amount of farting about either end put me off.

So, last time I went on the train, five minute car journey to the local station, 1 hr 47 on the train and a short cab journey the other end, total, just over two hour versus nearer three (sometimes four) by plane, result !

However, got on the train, had a seat number, went to it and it was occupied, as was every other seat on the bloody thing, mainly full of "Cockerneys" going home from a football match, each with six large cans of Stella which they swilled whilst saying "Fark" a lot very loudly. So I stand there like a pillock having paid a small fortune for the tickets (well work did) and luckily some people got off at Crewe so I got a seat, is this typical, do I need to go First Class to get a seat and why print a Seat number on the ticket and then not reserve it, there were no reservation cards and the little displays didnt say reserved.

I am not infirm or anything but I would prefer not to spend two hours stood in the aisle whilst people wander past for a pee or to go to the buffet.

Journey back I got a seat but the allocated one on the ticket was filled by a lad eating crisps in the manner of the Cookie Monster off Sesame Street.
Old 20 May 2009, 04:46 PM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aye, complain to the Train Manager.

Book earlier enough and you can often get 1st class tickets for less than standard class - that's much more refined and quieter.
Old 20 May 2009, 05:41 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Get the train manager to kick them out of the seat.

If you don't get the allocated seat and you make it known on the train and you still don't you get full refund and train company gets in trouble.
True. That's the way to go. Virgin refunded my wife's fare in full and offered cut-price 1st class tickets next time when it happened to her.

The Cockerneys had prbabaly removed the seat reservation tags. It happens a lot. I usually go and say something to the person in MY seat, but whether I would do it to a group of youths when I was on my own................you all get off at the same place, too

Although I did once get a youth kicked out of a carriage and eventually off a train for smoking in a non-smoking;(

I was on a Rail Rover ticket at the time too. Guard wasn't happy with me, but he upheld the rules.

Problem with train managers these days is that a lot of them are young women Like a young lass is going to argue with a group of half-drunk footy thugs. Most likely ask you to take it on the chin and tell you about the refund thingy. Mind, you could always "accompany" her to her little office and "talk about it"
Old 20 May 2009, 07:14 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

i have been in both positions
you can pay on the day, to upgrade.
and i have also been the one with the crate of stella.
Old 21 May 2009, 08:51 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Speaking as a southerner, and someone who considers Watford as the `North`. I suggest you stay up in `Northland` and perhaps invest in video conferencing technology. :-)

Thats if there's any money up in that part of the world, as most of it is made and spent down this part of the UK.

:-)

SBK
Old 21 May 2009, 10:29 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Did you actually mention it to the prat in your seat, or was it wiser not to? I suppose I would tend to back off in the face of a bunch like that.

I think that the only thing really was to complain to some kind of authority on the train.

I come from the South too, but I would not want to associate myself with a post like the one above. What is he trying to prove I wonder!

Les
Old 21 May 2009, 12:25 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Did you actually mention it to the prat in your seat, or was it wiser not to? I suppose I would tend to back off in the face of a bunch like that.

I think that the only thing really was to complain to some kind of authority on the train.

I come from the South too, but I would not want to associate myself with a post like the one above. What is he trying to prove I wonder!

Les

Les, none of the seats said they were reserved and I think everyone was in the same boat, well train but you know what I mean.

As for the post above, I dont really get the regional Xenophobia thing, I just happen to live in the North West, I dont consider it the best place in the world, its ok, I just happen to live here and it has nice bits and not so nice bits as does the whole country, I like London but would not swap my 7 mile cycle ride through the countryside for one through London. As for video confrencing, yes we do use it here is Knutsford but SQL Server training courses are best attended in person .

With regards to wealth, its true a lot is made (and lost) in the south, there does however seem to be some serious pockets of wealth up here in Northland, somebody bought a motor car the other day !
Old 21 May 2009, 12:51 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Would you really have wanted one of the lads moved on so you could sit in the seat surrounded by all his mates?
Best option is to have a word with the train manager and say the best solution all round is for you to find a nice seat in First class. I'm sure they'd rather you did that then try to break up a group of drunken numpties.
Old 21 May 2009, 01:28 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
Would you really have wanted one of the lads moved on so you could sit in the seat surrounded by all his mates?
Best option is to have a word with the train manager and say the best solution all round is for you to find a nice seat in First class. I'm sure they'd rather you did that then try to break up a group of drunken numpties.
Totally agree
Old 21 May 2009, 05:24 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
Agreed, I wasnt about to shift one of their number and plonk my **** down, they looked a little whoa, a little bit werrr, proper Wockney Cankers !
Old 21 May 2009, 06:51 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sbk1972
Speaking as a southerner, and someone who considers Watford as the `North`. I suggest you stay up in `Northland` and perhaps invest in video conferencing technology. :-)

Thats if there's any money up in that part of the world, as most of it is made and spent down this part of the UK.

:-)

SBK
soft flat beer drinking southern chutney ferrit
Old 21 May 2009, 06:53 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

you can pay an extra bit on virgin and get your food parcel and sit in first class.

as i said earlier we bought a crate of stella and drank it on the train back from edinburgh a few months ago, we were stood up near the tiolets though, and we werent rude or swearing just weighing up all the women that went past.
it was the best laugh ive had in ages.