Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ebay Fees

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2009, 02:07 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Ebay Fees

I know we have lots of threads about ebay on here, but when did they introduce this 10% FVF?

I bought a camcorder off ebay about a month ago now for £400. Took it out the box, used it for 5mins, decided it was not for me and relisted it back as new. It was bought with the B.I.N option 48hrs later for the same £400. I received £386.20 through paypal and seller account was showing i was owe £43 to ebay for insertion and FVF, so from a £400 sale, i received £343.20

How can people make money from ebay now with these extortionate fees? It's okay from a buyers point of view but sellers now are surely going to find it very difficult to make profit?

I went to list a few dvds aswell, and the f*ckers have taken away the postage option meaning you're probably just as well as chucking them in the bin, as after their extrortionate fees, paypal fees and funding P&P yourself with recorded delivery, it's very unlikely that you are going to make anything at all and quite possibly a loss.

I dont think i'll be using my sellers account from now on, what a waste of time and effort. How are small ebay business coping?
Old 20 May 2009, 02:16 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Oh, and having come across this... (Copy and paste from another site) it confirms my fears that ebay have gone right down the pan

1st scam

1. You see something being sold on ebay that you either would like to have / would like to sell
So you win it either by buy-it-now, or bidding (and you can outbid anyone as you're going to get it for free anyway).

2. You pay for it through paypal just like normal, are very polite and friendly to the seller through the whole process even, and just wait till it arrives.

3. You have bought a brand new top of the range mobile phone, so the box comes, and you sign for it as normal since the seller would have sent it recorded delivery.
(If as a seller you were stupid and foolish enough to send something not recorded delivery you are already screwed, since there's no proof that you went anything so buyer can just go on paypal and say they never recieved anything. Paypal freeze the money, asks you for tracking number, and if you can't enter it you'll lose all the money as it gets refunded back to the buyer).

4. But lets say that it wasn't an idiot, was just a normal standard seller who sent you the phone recorded delivery, and so you happily sign for that package when it comes.
You open the box and check the phone is new and does work fine and everything 1stly.

The you go onto the paypal website, go to the transaction and click the buttom saying 'open dispute'.
You then click the option saying ''Received item, but was significantly not as descibed''.

5. Paypal's system automatically freezes the money in the sellers account (if they have withdrawn it already they debit the account ito minus, so you're in debt to paypal),
and in the dispute box on paypal it says to the seller ''Buyer says you sent item significantly not as described, your options are to offer partial/full refund without requesting goods back, or ask for buyer to return item and you will refund.

(You dont get a choice about refunds on ebay, and espcially when your dealing selling electronics your forced to allow 28days full refund policy).

6. So seller goes on, sees this, is confused as they are pretty sure they didnt send the wrong items to wrong buyers,
but say ok fair enough he can send it back and ill give him a full refund as i dont have a choice about it.
And so clicks that option.

7. You get a jiffy bag/postage box, fill it up with sheets of scrap paper weighing roughly the same as the phone's box did, and send that recorded delivery to the seller,
keeping your receipt from the post-office with the tracking number on it.

8. You then go onto paypal's website, go to the dispute resolution box,
and where it says 'Buyer enter tracking number of returned purchase' you just enter this number in.
That system is automatically connected with royal mail's system, and so as soon as the package is delivered and updated on royal mails database its automaticlaly triggered on the paypal one and so the dispute is closed and the money is sent back to your account for your to withdraw.

9. Meanwhile seller looks in box, sees that they sold a £400 phone and only got back 40pence worth of paper,
they go onto paypals website and see that the dispute has been closed and that paypal have taken £400 out of their account and given it back to the buyer,
and they look and see there's no option of them complaining either!
2nd Scam

About 1year ago ebay changed the rules of feedback so that ONLY buyers can leave bad feedback to sellers, but sellers cant leave feedback to scam buyers.

(This caused a huge uproar in the ebay sellers community, and led many many ebay businesses, including the 1 that i owned,
to have to close down compeletely as we just couldnt afford to take the risks caused by this new setup and the ridiculous loopholes in it that meant EVERY SINGLE buyer can scam and blackmail you).

1. Buyer sees you selling something, is winning bidder/or does the buy it now option, win the item, and pays you for it normally through paypal.

2. Once they receive the item they then send you an email to your personal email address saying ''I got the item, but i feel i paid too much for it and so you can either send me a cheque/paypal payment/bank transfer for 1/2, 3/4s, or even all the money that i paid you,
or if you dont i will leave you negative feedback. And as you know if you get 3 negative feedbacks in 1month you will automatically be banned from ebay as a seller, and since you are a business seller losing your business would be a huge problem for you. So just refund me most of the money and you wont hear from me again''.

3. You either give in to the blackmail and refund them, and then blacklist their username from ever buying from you again + make a note of their postage address so you know that when they have multiple ebay names and try do scam you again you would know that they are the same scammer (unless they give different postage addresses, which many people do as they dont want anyone knowing their home address, so they use mail-forwarding addresses).

OR

You refuse to be blackmailed, they give you negative feedback, + if you have any other items up for sale they will just log-in with the other usernames, buy-it-now on them, and then instantly leave 2 more negative feedbacks.

So a few hours later ebay's system automatically bans you form being able to sell/sometimes bans you from being able to even log-in with your username again depdning if you get a 'selling restriction' or a 'permenant ban'.

*You can try phoning ebay to complain, but findout they have no phone number.
You can email them saying you've been blacmailed, about 3-5days later they will ask for solid proof,
which you wont be able to provide as there is no permissable evidence,
and so they will then just ignore you and you will stay banned and have lost your entire business and living all for just 1sale!
Luckily i've never been fleeced on ebay yet, but scary that this sort of stuff is happening.
Old 20 May 2009, 02:28 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Certainly puts me off using e-bay to sell.
Old 20 May 2009, 02:31 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i sould a couple of things last month as got a bill for just over £28, i think i would of been better off to just not of sold them in the 1st place
Old 20 May 2009, 09:24 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

10% FVF now they are taking the p1ss. I thought my last couple of ebay selling invoices were a bit steep. Obviously why. They can stick it, they have just lost another seller.