Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Went to look at a room for my son to rent...

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2009, 10:45 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Went to look at a room for my son to rent...

...and what a shock i got

He couldn't afford a studio apartment in Harpenden where we live so i took him to one advertised in Luton Beds. It was £300 a week all bills included but he had to pay for his electric. Everything was electric and there was no heating.

Anyway, when we got there we were taken up the stairs, you didnt want to touch the walls as they were so dirty. The bloke that was letting the room knocked on the door, got no answer then tried his key. He couldnt get in so he knocked on another door and got the bloke to use a bit of plastic to slip the lock.

In we went. The room belonged to someone, he just happened to be out, here we were in someones place without their permission Good start!

Then on the floor on some newspaper was some burnt kitchen foil. The person renting the room was obviousley a heroin user

The kitchen was one cupboard and a chopping board as a work surface. Nice

The carpet was dark red and sticky

We did not look at the loo or the matress

The outside of the building was a something else. There was a metal fire escape that finished about 10 foot off the ground so you would have to make a jump for it if you was on fire. Some of the metal rungs were missing and it was not attatched to the building properly

Luton is only 5 miles from Hertfordshire where i live but its a different world
Old 19 May 2009, 10:48 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds quite high-end for Luton.
Old 19 May 2009, 10:54 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

It was London Road. From the front the houses dont look to bad its the back you have to worry about. I wish i had taken a picture now
Old 19 May 2009, 11:02 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

You must mean £300 a Month, surely?
Old 19 May 2009, 11:07 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Ha ha i meant £300 a month

I feel sorry for him, if he was a girl he would have a kid and get housed just like that. As it is he will have to wait years for a council property even though he was born and bred here in Harpenden. He cant even afford to live in a scungy disgusting room in a run down area. He needs to be near work.

I don't want him to live in Luton, it sucks. We are having to look at places that are not too near some Asian areas as a young white lad doesn't stand a chance in the middle of all that. There is a huge drug problem, yet just down the road where i am its a different world.

I am dreading it when my 8 year old daughter gets older
Old 19 May 2009, 11:10 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

maybe i am expecting too much
Old 19 May 2009, 11:53 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds great ...
Old 19 May 2009, 11:55 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Does he need 7 days a week ?
I know a place in Great Amwell up for rent in a shared house and I can vouch for it.
It is available for 5 days a week though - Weekends my step-daughter stays over with her dad.

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/neig...-sg12-9sn.html

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...h&z=15&iwloc=A

Last edited by jods; 20 May 2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 20 May 2009, 08:09 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
Does he need 7 days a week ?
I know a place in Great Amwell up for rent in a shared house and I can vouch for it.
It is available for 5 days a week though - Weekends my step-daughter stays over with her dad.

Neighbourhood Statistics for SG12 9SN | UpMyStreet

sg12 9sn - Google Maps
I tried to get him to consider a place for 5 days a week as he is always off for the weekends but he wants the option of having a place at weekends too. Thanks for that anyway

We might try Welwyn today, Hatfield is definitely out of the question
Old 20 May 2009, 08:15 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Very few places are as advertised or are a good deal. Having spent a lot of time working away in different regions on contracts i know how it feels looking for decent accommodation at a fair price.
They are out there but do take a lot of searching out.
Try SPARE ROOM for flatshare, house share, flat share & rooms for rent

Originally Posted by sarasquares
...and what a shock i got

He couldn't afford a studio apartment in Harpenden where we live so i took him to one advertised in Luton Beds. It was £300 a week all bills included but he had to pay for his electric. Everything was electric and there was no heating.

Anyway, when we got there we were taken up the stairs, you didnt want to touch the walls as they were so dirty. The bloke that was letting the room knocked on the door, got no answer then tried his key. He couldnt get in so he knocked on another door and got the bloke to use a bit of plastic to slip the lock.

In we went. The room belonged to someone, he just happened to be out, here we were in someones place without their permission Good start!

Then on the floor on some newspaper was some burnt kitchen foil. The person renting the room was obviousley a heroin user

The kitchen was one cupboard and a chopping board as a work surface. Nice

The carpet was dark red and sticky

We did not look at the loo or the matress

The outside of the building was a something else. There was a metal fire escape that finished about 10 foot off the ground so you would have to make a jump for it if you was on fire. Some of the metal rungs were missing and it was not attatched to the building properly

Luton is only 5 miles from Hertfordshire where i live but its a different world
Old 20 May 2009, 08:34 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Why can't he stay at home? dl
Old 20 May 2009, 09:27 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Ha ha i meant £300 a month

ffs. i rent an entire house for £375!!!
Old 20 May 2009, 09:38 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

And my flat only cost me £400 a month..
Old 20 May 2009, 09:49 AM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
ffs. i rent an entire house for £375!!!
Exactly, my parents have just let there part furninshed one bedroom flat in a nice area for £320 a month, admitidly it's not luxurious but it's clean.
Old 20 May 2009, 10:13 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

just googled Luton -- i see what you mean

Old 20 May 2009, 10:27 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Good grief Sara, I'd have hit the deck running!

Hope you have better luck, and at a fair price too.

Les
Old 20 May 2009, 01:09 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your ideas. we have now found a house share in Luton, he moves in on Monday. It is slightly dearer than he had hoped but it is so much better. The decorators are in so it looks lovely and new. There is a big garden and off street parking. All the bills are included and there is a dishwasher and a tumble dryer. These points won him over i think

My son lost his license so he wont be joining the army until he has it back. This should do him in the meantime.

He doesn't live at home anymore as he is old enough to look after himself, he is nearly 21
Old 20 May 2009, 01:42 PM
marky1
Scooby Regular

I feel sorry for him, if he was a girl he would have a kid and get housed just like that. (
And that just about sums up everything that is wrong with the UK. What happened to people going out and working hard to better themselves.....
Old 20 May 2009, 01:58 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

When i moved out from home i had to sell my Pioneer CDJ800's, Vestax Mixer and Mumark TT-200's in order the raise the money for a deposit and first months rent, it nearly made me cry as they were my pride and joys

I could have asked mummy and daddy to help but to be honest, i'm not a gheyer Took me a month before i had pots and pans
Old 20 May 2009, 02:09 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all your ideas. we have now found a house share in Luton, he moves in on Monday. It is slightly dearer than he had hoped but it is so much better. The decorators are in so it looks lovely and new. There is a big garden and off street parking. All the bills are included and there is a dishwasher and a tumble dryer. These points won him over i think

My son lost his license so he wont be joining the army until he has it back. This should do him in the meantime.

He doesn't live at home anymore as he is old enough to look after himself, he is nearly 21
Glad to hear that you've found somewhere, SS.
To give you an idea of what others are paying,
I rent a room out to a chap at the moment
included are all bills, Sky in his room, broadband,
fully furnished, it's a decent sized room and there's
parking (oh and heating, lol). I've given him his
own space in the kitchen to store stuff in cupboards
and the Fridge/Freezer and every now and again
I sort out techie probs with his mac/xbox for him.
Don't have a garden but it is good for commuters,
via train or M25 and is in a nice are of Surrey.

All in for £420 per month.

I feel like I'm undercharging now!
Old 20 May 2009, 05:42 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

I grew up in Harpenden, folks still live there. Nearly bought my first flat in Luton, looks like I had a lucky escape
Old 20 May 2009, 06:14 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Did he rent that palace then
Old 20 May 2009, 08:37 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

i had a room spare sara it was only 300 a month he could of had that , in ruislip though

300 a week i a fooking **** take imo . i had the same sort of thing when i was looking for a place . most of the "clean tidy new decorated flats " looked like the black holes of calcutta . one place i looked at had a different pic on the paper to the place i went to . the guy who owned it rolled up in a brand new 7 series too show us around as soon as i walked in the door i knew it wasnt the same place . again red carpet , mould in the corner of the hall , knocked on a room and there was 4 poles living in one room , a faimily in another and an irate asian woman shouting at him when he were looking around . the room had no carpet , single glazed windows , the kitchen was ull of **** , bike parts and pots with moldy food in , i said to the guy this is a different property to the one in the ad , he said it was the same one that had been decorated and hadnt been cleaned for a week , a WEEK the place hadnt ever been cleaned and had about 14 people living in a 4 bed flat . i told him he was a joker and there was no way id dream of living there . he got pissed off and told us to stop waisting his time !! i think it was my time the **** was waisting .

i rang the paper that the ad was in and told them that he was advertising a differnt flat than the one in the pic , they said they would pull the ad which they did and the flat has since been boarded up for some reason . prob immigration raid lol

makes u laugh though as the ***** prob has 4 or 5 props in the same cond ding the same thing .

mags
Old 20 May 2009, 09:02 PM
PovK1
Scooby Regular

We are having to look at places that are not too near some Asian areas as a young white lad doesn't stand a chance in the middle of all that. There is a huge drug problem, yet just down the road where i am its a different world.

dont be such a wimisical mother, mummying what I can only predict to be a grown man. He will be fine whether he is surronded by loads of asians, blacks turks etc.

edit

just read hes 21 and joining the army and you are worried about him living in a mainly asian populated area? Are you sure the army is the right job for him? How will you ever sleep

Last edited by PovK1; 20 May 2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 21 May 2009, 07:20 AM
marky1
Scooby Regular

Why would you worry? If you take the same attitude that you wrote about what your son would do if he was a girl she could just have a baby and the tax payer could look after her.

I'm not surprised the Politicians are all on the take, half the population is too.
Old 21 May 2009, 08:05 AM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

Don't worry - give it six years and she'll have a kid of her own and plenty of support from the council.

Quick Reply: Went to look at a room for my son to rent...