Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Basic AV question...

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2009, 01:39 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic AV question...

Embarrassingly basic, i think - but i'm not getting it!

I'd quite like the Mission M-Cube speaker system - the sub woofer has amplification, but the satellite speakers require between 30-150w amplification.

So, given the dvd source is PS3 and i want to play 5.1 through these speakers, what do i need in between?

An AV receiver? these don't amplify do they? Can I get a 1 box solution for 5.1 decoding from the PS3 and amplification for the front/read/centre speakers?

Old 19 May 2009, 01:50 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes matey you need an AV-Reciever. The Onkyo/Denon seem to be the best bang for buck. As for the Mission M-Cubes, don't bother look at the mordaunt Short packages. Much nicer sounding.

Get yourself down to the local Richer Sounds etc and pick their brains or if all else fails AVForums.com but be prepared for a bit of audio snobbery on there.
Old 19 May 2009, 01:50 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Yes, an AV Receiver does supply amplification

Basically, buy the M-Cube (very nice system) and an AV receiver. Connect output from PS3 to Receiver (don't have PS3 so don't know options, but assume has optical output). Then connect speakers and sub to receiver. Sorted.

Your five speakers, fronts, rears and centre will all be connected via speaker wire, these five channels are amplified. The sub is connected via a RCA cable to get its signal but also requires mains power as it does its own amplification.

Hope that makes sense

Cheers

Ian
Old 19 May 2009, 03:32 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

awesome, scoobynet comes to the rescue once more
Old 19 May 2009, 04:20 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

You want an AV receiver as mentioned above but you want one that has HDMI input and output. If you get one with 3 in then thats your PS3, Sky HD, DVD player taken care of then just one cable goes from AV Receiver to the TV (assuming TV has HDMI input)

I was looking for Mission myself but then bought Quad Lite system. I got the rosewood which looks stunning IMO. The sub is just awesome and I can just pick it up they came with a pair of gloves for handling.

I wanted a Denon rec becuase I just like Denon but couldn't wait for the new ones to come out so bought a Harmon Kardon AVR255 (some shop was selling them at the wrong price so I got mine for £450 - they should be £600) Looks a bit basic but sounds very nice and the wife chuckles at the name every time