Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Water Bill Direct Debit too high...??

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2009, 03:49 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Bill Direct Debit too high...??

Must admit I've lived at my house for a few years and never ever checked the water meter figures/bill.........just paid by direct debit every month and haven't looked into how much I was paying and if it was "average".

Got a letter in the post today about direct debit going up to £31 per month as I am apparently consuming this amount of water (on a water meter.....).

Thinking that I might be paying too much, I checked with my Bro up the road who lives there with his wife and they are paying less than me a month. I'm hardly in the house tbh, a little in the evening and may be a bath per day max. Washing Machine might get run about twice a week.

Contacted the water company and they told me I'd consumed more in 6 months than they would expect in a year. I don't clean my car there anymore (not in the last 2 years), I can't think of anytime I would use water to excess.

The water company told me to check for leaks by noting the figures and then checking an hour later and then trying the same with the mains stop **** shut off (presumably to isolate whereabouts the leak might be occurring).

Did the first test for an hour and the meter figures did not change one bit. The furthest right figure was in exactly the same spot as the previous hour.

So if that shows its not a leak then, is there anything else I should consider ? I'm at a loss to understand where's its all going.........I have to confirm the meter readings with the company on Monday because I can only think there has been some kind of mix up with the bill.

Anyone got any ideas ? or experienced this kind of thing ?
Old 16 May 2009, 06:01 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Does sound strange, Hopefully they have done a bad estimate. I have had some shockers from utility companies in the past.
When I moved into this house I vowed never to have a metered water again and never to pay anything by direct debit.
Old 16 May 2009, 07:23 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how many cubic metres have you used in six months, how many people in your house and what part of the country are you in?
Does your brother have a meter or are his bills based on rateable value?

It could be a previous under estimate and they have caught up with a proper read.
Check that the serial number on your meter is the same as that on the bill.

There isn't a leak from your test results.
Old 16 May 2009, 07:33 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

i have used about 5 units since last september when i had the meter fitted, still think i'm paying too much at £6 per month!! only there a couple of days a week, but use a power shower and the washing m/c and dishwasher, think theres something wrong with your bill for sure!!
Old 16 May 2009, 08:41 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

According to the water company I've used 58 cubic metres in 6 months. I'm the only one living at this house and my Bro is also on a water meter but there's him and his wife. I'm in the South.

Unfortunately I've not kept any of the previous bills which is why I've never thought about it and its only their letter that prompted me to think about it.

The house is about 13 years old and I've lived in it for the past 9 years. The reading is showing 1356 cu metres which over a 13 year span would average about 104 per year if consumption was constant.

I'm just puzzled cos I cannot think of anything I do that really wastes alot of water.
Old 16 May 2009, 09:21 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

I pay £31 per month for unlimited water. Have consided moving to a meter, but thought 1) wouldnt save that much and
2) would end up getting para about my families usage
Old 16 May 2009, 09:39 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

I'd blame it on the daily bath - they are anything from 70 to 200 litres a time.
Does your brother have a shower or just not as hygienic

Trending Topics

Old 17 May 2009, 12:18 AM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Butty
I'd blame it on the daily bath - they are anything from 70 to 200 litres a time.
Does your brother have a shower or just not as hygienic
Haha yeah they use baths cos their shower is even more **** poor than mine!

I'm gonna run it past the water company and see what they say.
Old 17 May 2009, 08:46 AM
Mark Mac
Scooby Regular

Check the loft,
Those polaks get everywhere.
Old 17 May 2009, 09:34 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

also live alone in this house , although the last 3 months with a bird , and used 49 cubic metres over 6 months - 79£

She takes baths , and runs the washing mach. when shes bored