Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Been to see the New Star Trek film today

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2009, 08:28 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Been to see the New Star Trek film today

Well as I am currently off on leave from work this week, thought I'd take in one of the new Summer films for the year.
Had a quick scan on a well known cinema franchise website and spied that they were showing advanced previews of the new Star Trek film. So off I went to have a ganders at it, being a bit of a Sci-fi fan and watched my fair share of Star Trek and also Lost and Fringe thought I'd see what the fuss is about.

My initial impressions were that what I have seen is good in it's own right, but feel a little disapointed after seeing past Star Trek Films. Don't get me wrong for the intended audience where someone hasn't seen a Star Trek series/film this is more for that person or persons to possibly enjoy and as a reboot makes more sense (I suppose) . But when I left the cinema today felt something was still missing and didn't feel right about what I saw
One of the examples and not to give too much away is the engine room. Why on earth use something that looks like it was meant to power a steam engine? Thos who have seen the film will know what I mean (Hopefully).

Has anyone else been to see this yet?
Old 07 May 2009, 11:56 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Not seen it yet, but really looking forward to
Old 08 May 2009, 01:09 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Was there still a lot of clip-board signing on the bridge....

YouTube - Eddie Izzard Star Trek
Old 08 May 2009, 05:59 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Going off to see this tonight
Old 08 May 2009, 08:05 AM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

Saw it last night, took my 11 year old son.

It made perfect sense to re-boot, as my lad sat through 2 hours, really enjoyed it and picked up on the characters. There's no way that he'd sit through the old series' with their wobbly sets and naff effects, or watch the Shatner/Nimoy movies (Even though Wrath of Khan/Search for spock/Voyage home are very good films IMHO)

The actors involved have really pulled off the homage to the original actors, ie acting style/look/voices except Simon Pegg, who is nowt like Scotty.

Cinema was full of fanboys though, shrieking with glee when many "links" to the past were used, eg "Red sweatered spare ensign gets wasted on mission" and the guy sat directly behind me almost spat his popcorn down the back of my neck as he was laughing so much!

The reboot is gonna attract new people, and thats the whole point I suppose.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" as Spock would say.
Old 08 May 2009, 09:32 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RJM25R

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"
"Or the one"

They look a too young to me. Looking forward to seeing it though. Our local cinema takes ages to get new films and when they do the "Dolby Digital" bit its all a the front - I sometimes feel like offering my home system just to help out
Old 08 May 2009, 09:46 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

I cant get past the fact that Sylar is spock. Im expecting him to cut the top of kirk's head off ! Sylar's already typecasted in my eyes.

Out of interest, does the first officer walk around head leaning forward, at an angle, like good old Ryker ? Pickard overruled 90% of all his suggestions.

SBK

Trending Topics

Old 08 May 2009, 10:26 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I've never seen star trek so I'm happy for the reboot I can't wait to see it this weekend.
Old 08 May 2009, 10:58 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RJM25R
Saw it last night, took my 11 year old son.

It made perfect sense to re-boot, as my lad sat through 2 hours, really enjoyed it and picked up on the characters. There's no way that he'd sit through the old series' with their wobbly sets and naff effects, or watch the Shatner/Nimoy movies (Even though Wrath of Khan/Search for spock/Voyage home are very good films IMHO)

The actors involved have really pulled off the homage to the original actors, ie acting style/look/voices except Simon Pegg, who is nowt like Scotty.

Cinema was full of fanboys though, shrieking with glee when many "links" to the past were used, eg "Red sweatered spare ensign gets wasted on mission" and the guy sat directly behind me almost spat his popcorn down the back of my neck as he was laughing so much!

The reboot is gonna attract new people, and thats the whole point I suppose.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" as Spock would say.
Agree about Simon Peggs performance, at some stages his phony scottish accent slips to his english one in places. Must admit the SFX in this is amazing, although the camera effect that was used in this (same used in Battlestar Galactica) is a little old hat now but adds to the film.

Would mention that Karl Urbun who plays McCoy has got that role down to a tee

Probably requires a couple of more viewings and and a complete mind wash of the old series and cast for me to take this one on board.
Old 08 May 2009, 11:15 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon K

Out of interest, does the first officer walk around head leaning forward, at an angle, like good old Ryker ? Pickard overruled 90% of all his suggestions.

SBK
"make it so"

The guy that played Ryker, directed First Contact - one of the better ST films. After that they just became extended episodes and a bit ****.
Old 08 May 2009, 11:20 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I liked Nemesis, it was kind of Wrath of Kahn for the next generation.
Old 08 May 2009, 11:26 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Which is the one that had Malcolm Mcdowell in it? (Clockwork orange dude)

I seem to remember that one being a bit hokey.
Old 08 May 2009, 11:30 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one of my fav Ryker/Picard episodes
YouTube - Captain Picard Day
Old 08 May 2009, 12:39 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Best Next Generation episode, and one Ive only ever seen once, was the one where all the different creatures, humans, klingons, etc etc met on a planet and realised that each race's DNA, put together, created the person who created the whole universe.

God knows the name of that episode, but was a good one

SBK
Old 08 May 2009, 12:48 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

Kirk would kick Pikards homo shiney ****. Just thought I'd add that.
Old 08 May 2009, 01:01 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Which is the one that had Malcolm Mcdowell in it? (Clockwork orange dude)

I seem to remember that one being a bit hokey.
Generations. It's the "hand-over" from TOS crew to TNG crew.

I've seen quite a few previews and things for this and it does seem quite good, though I doubt the missus would want to sit through it, she's not big on SF.

As for them looking too young, I thought that was meant to be the idea, it's showing the very early days of Kirk and the rest of the crew.
Old 08 May 2009, 02:27 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon K
Best Next Generation episode, and one Ive only ever seen once, was the one where all the different creatures, humans, klingons, etc etc met on a planet and realised that each race's DNA, put together, created the person who created the whole universe.

God knows the name of that episode, but was a good one

SBK
Anything Borg related. The Locutus of Borg story is good.

Theres one particular double episode which I think shows of Patrick Stewarts abilities is where he is captured by one of those lizard things.
Old 08 May 2009, 03:11 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Anything Borg related. The Locutus of Borg story is good.

Theres one particular double episode which I think shows of Patrick Stewarts abilities is where he is captured by one of those lizard things.
You're talking about Chain of Command, the one where Picard is captured and tortured by the Cardassian Gul Madred, played by David Warner.

A very good episode indeed.

One of my favorites is "The Inner Light", where Picard is caught by a telepathic link with a probe and is rendered unconscious and "dreams" that he lives the life of a man named Kamin. Many, many years pass for Kamin, but in reality it is only 25 minutes.
Old 08 May 2009, 04:05 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Markus
You're talking about Chain of Command, the one where Picard is captured and tortured by the Cardassian Gul Madred, played by David Warner.

A very good episode indeed.

One of my favorites is "The Inner Light", where Picard is caught by a telepathic link with a probe and is rendered unconscious and "dreams" that he lives the life of a man named Kamin. Many, many years pass for Kamin, but in reality it is only 25 minutes.
To be fair individually most of the cast of ST-NG are very good actors all be it Patrick Stewart being the best in my opinion. But as a group of actors they are fooking dire in some episodes

Am i the only one that cringes when ST tries to tackle things like love or marriage etc. It can only be made worse if my partner is watching also as she finds it hilarious that i can watch it yet hate Eastenders/Hollyoaks etc.
Old 08 May 2009, 04:53 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

I guy who used to work here went to a local star trek club. They were crew of a small ship (bit like the runabout in DS9) and they had costumes, badges etc. He even showed me an exam he had to do in order to further his starfleet "Career"

It was almost interesting but he was such a c*ck. One them had made a borg costume and he would go to the local fetes - I have to say it wasn't that bad (from a distance)
Old 08 May 2009, 05:05 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Going to Manchester IMAX to see this tomorrow, been looking forward to it for a very long time, quite excited about it to be honest!
Old 08 May 2009, 06:10 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I like ST and most SciFi, but I draw the line at dressing up as characters. If others wish to do this and act out things, fine, if you want to pretend you are a Klingon and learn to speak Klingon then that's fine too, but it's not for me.
Old 08 May 2009, 11:33 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Thought it was a very good homage to the original but brought right up to date.

Draws all the elements of the Star Trek universe and packages it nicely as a film on its own. Also utilises past chararcter history and elements very well.
Trekkers just need to switch off their nerd blinkers sit back and enjoy, do this and its fun without any 'lull bits' like some films have
Old 10 May 2009, 10:50 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Saw it last night and thought it was superb Went with the wife and she's not into Star Trek but even she really enjoyed it.

Go see it and enjoy

Live long and prosper

Last edited by daddyscoob; 10 May 2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11 May 2009, 12:29 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Yeah watched it as well and was quite impressed, definitely the right cast for some more movies and they captured the flavour of the old star trek really well
Old 11 May 2009, 12:49 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Ok film but not a Star Trek film IMHO. Also, the interior of the Enterprise really hacked me off - where the matter/anti-matter reactor? Why is it suddenly a steam ship? Why was a planet of significant importance destroyed and then basically not really mentioned despite the fact it flies in the fact of all future star trek programs. If they elect to hide behind a 'this is an alternative universe' line then that is super-lame. I could go on tbh.
Old 11 May 2009, 06:02 AM
Semper
Scooby Regular

I enjoyed it. For me, right mix of humour, sci fi and scantily clad green chicks!
Old 11 May 2009, 10:38 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stu @ Internet Brands
Going to Manchester IMAX to see this tomorrow, been looking forward to it for a very long time, quite excited about it to be honest!
I went to see it yesterday at the IMAX in the Printworks, I was slightly dissapointed it was all in 2D, I assumed parts of it may be in 3D.

That aside I thought it was a very good film, my wife hates Star Trek and she loved it - which is what the makers were hoping for I suppose.

You could tell the room was full of Trekkies though, especially when the guy announced if you go to the loo you wouldn't get back in without your ticket so they advised you to 'klingon' to it.
Old 11 May 2009, 10:43 AM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Hanley
I went to see it yesterday at the IMAX in the Printworks
I went Saturday, loved it, great film.
Going again tomorrow night with the kids as they have decided they want to see it and I have been promising to take them to experience the IMAX for ages, so I will see if its more enjoyable the second time. I doubt it as its not the kind of film you will have missed interesting elements but I live in hope.
Old 11 May 2009, 11:31 AM
New_scooby_04

Went to see it Saturday.

Couldn't see how it could have been done any better to be honest. Excellent balance between appeasing the Trekies (I'm not one) and refreshing the concept to invite new fans.

Only criticisms:

Not sure about the Spock romance angle
Eric Bana was a pretty forgettable villain, but his ship made up for it!

Quick Reply: Been to see the New Star Trek film today