Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone brew their own espresso?

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2009, 04:14 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone brew their own espresso?

I'm looking to buy my own machine for home. I'm currently using a nasty bit of kit which just does not really work.

Budget of about £300 less ideally.

I've in mind the:
- Gaggia Baby Dose
- Gaggia Classic
- Rancilio Silvia (if I can get it in the UK)

Any other suggestions
Old 07 May 2009, 04:30 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I haven't regretted my nespresso

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...o-machine.html

Freind has since bought the one that does milk too so would do that next time.
Old 07 May 2009, 09:01 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

la pavoni EUROPICCOLA

La Pavoni Europiccola Chrome Base
Old 07 May 2009, 10:49 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Look no further than the Gaggia classic. Had mine 3 months, amazing stuff. Also really easy to foam if you like cappucino too.
dnc
Old 07 May 2009, 10:50 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Don't ponce about with a machine ferchrissakes! The only reason cafes use them is cos they brew in bulk. Use one of those 2 part £6.99 coffee pots.
Far superior results, and quicker too, less flashy crap cluttering up the worktop, and you don't need to plumb it in.
Old 08 May 2009, 12:53 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

*awaits the pith takers*

Old 08 May 2009, 08:03 AM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nixxon
Don't ponce about with a machine ferchrissakes! The only reason cafes use them is cos they brew in bulk. Use one of those 2 part £6.99 coffee pots.
Far superior results, and quicker too, less flashy crap cluttering up the worktop, and you don't need to plumb it in.
That is absolutely true. One of the twist apart, metal coffee pots that sits on the hob and a bag of Lavazza coffee. Sadly all that stuff out of the machines just isn't espresso (from someone who is half Italian).

Trending Topics

Old 08 May 2009, 08:17 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by psigeek
That is absolutely true. One of the twist apart, metal coffee pots that sits on the hob and a bag of Lavazza coffee. Sadly all that stuff out of the machines just isn't espresso (from someone who is half Italian).
lol , just tucking in to exactly this brew now
Old 08 May 2009, 09:59 AM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
I'm looking to buy my own machine for home. I'm currently using a nasty bit of kit which just does not really work.

Budget of about £300 less ideally.

I've in mind the:
- Gaggia Baby Dose
- Gaggia Classic
- Rancilio Silvia (if I can get it in the UK)

Any other suggestions
I've had my Gaggia Classic for about 5 years, and use it at least once or twice a day - every day... and it's been fantastic.

I've done some of the standard tweaks on it (decrease pump pressure - down to about 9-10bar, as all of the "can use pods" machines have to be rated at 13-15bar as standard which is far too high for good espresso, and also changed the standard steam wand for a Rancilio Silvia one).

If I were buying another again now, if I could stretch to the extra cash I'd probably try and go with a Silvia as I think it has the slight edge over the Classic (essentially the differences are steam wand (which you can change) and aluminium vs brass boiler - brass is theoretically better). If cash were a consideration then the Classic would be a great alternative...

I'd steer clear of anything that automates the process - including the dose and ALL bean-to-cup machines. Good if you're lazy or don't know what you're doing, but bad if you want a decent cup of quality espresso...

The usual comment made by coffee nuts (or should that be beans) when discussing what espresso machine to buy is that you should spend whatever you can afford (£200+) on a good quality burr grinder (eg. Rancilio Rocky) and then spend the change on the best espresso machine you can get for the money - not the other way round. Using freshly roasted and ground beans makes a bigger difference to the coffee than espresso machine A vs B, in most cases. Having said that I'm still using Illy pre-ground coffee and am working on the Mrs to allow me to spend good money on a commercial quality grinder...

So - probably go for a Classic, get a Silvia steam wand and save up for a Rocky grinder...

I can recommend Italy Outlet (where I got my Classic from) and Happy Donkey (UK Coffee Suppliers - Happy Donkey) for spares, steam-wand upgrades, naked portafilters, and other good stuff...

Enjoy!

DN
Old 08 May 2009, 02:37 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

I heardthere is a new 2009 model Classic coming out. got any news?

Just seen I can pick up re-con models from gaggia.co.uk quite a saving

Last edited by BlkKnight; 08 May 2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08 May 2009, 03:42 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Not seen, nor can I find through Googling, anything WRT a "new" 2009 Classic... surely that would be a bit odd... making a new classic?

With a 12 month warranty, etc. I'd go for a recon Classic from Gaggia.co.uk, yup - looks good!
Old 08 May 2009, 03:47 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

remember you can spend all you like on an espresso machine, but the quality of your coffee will be proportional to the quality of water you put in it

a lot of people don't think about that bit
Old 08 May 2009, 03:53 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

CoffeeGeek - News, Reviews, Opinion and Community for Coffee and Espresso is quite a good site for this sort of thing
Old 08 May 2009, 05:02 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Yes, been on there. Very informative.

Machine 1st. . . I can use Illi / pre-ground until I have a grinder.

J
Old 08 May 2009, 06:58 PM
.:mike:.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by psigeek
Yep - i agree with this: get yourself a stove top 'mocha pot' style device and grind your own beans. Personally I've had superb results and find that the type of bean, the roast and the way its ground makes the most difference IMHO. In terms of suppliers - I've been very pleased with verde coffee, the coffee bean shop and londinium coffee suppliers. Get a decent burr grinder - not a blade variety. You can get them from around £40 upwards, and money very well spent!

I'd also be slightly wary of such cheap automatic machines - from what I've heard it may be worth investing in a Jura or an equivalent if you're determined to go down that route.

Interesting re the water - I've not experiemented, but have seen that some of the expensive bean to cup type mahines have built in water treatment - and it does make a lot of sense.
Old 08 May 2009, 11:22 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Can anyone recommend a good cappucino maker? Don't want to spend hundreds on one though.
Old 09 May 2009, 09:34 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I've got a Magimix l'expresso which makes a very good latte, it was recommended by ChefDude as a good, cheaper, efficient alternative to a Gaggia. Mine came from John Lewis.

If I was to buy another one (which I will do in time) I will definitely stick to the less automated machines (such as mine) as half the fun is getting it set up just right, using the right coffee, getting the right amount of tampage (is that a new word? ), the right technique for frothing etc etc. I would definitely go for one with a bendy frothing arm though, mine doesn't and it annoys me a bit.

One thing I would say is that I compared the various bits of my machine to the Gaggias and De Longhis that are sold in JL and mine definitely has the chunkiest, heaviest components which to me is a good thing
Old 09 May 2009, 09:37 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Tampage........Sounds suspiciously like something else
Old 10 May 2009, 02:09 AM
Blairc
Scooby Regular

All those folks with a Gaggia Classic I was wondering how long it takes to pull a double espresso? I really struggle to get it strong enough but not take an age to pour.