Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do you think the worlds media needs to be reminded of the boy that cried wolf?

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2009, 11:52 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you think the worlds media needs to be reminded of the boy that cried wolf?

Less than two weeks since the hysteria began, some quotes from news stories today...

In the US, the number of confirmed cases rose from 160 to 226.
Dr Schuchat said that although she expected cases to become more severe and to lead to deaths, this in itself would not be unusual as every year 36,000 people die in the US after contracting seasonal flu.
Spain raises the number of confirmed cases from 40 to 44, making it the worst-hit country in Europe
Ooooh... 44...

There have been at least 934 confirmed cases worldwide. The death toll in Mexico, where the outbreak began, stands at 22.
OMFG - nearly a thousand

Dr. Mark Bell, principal of Emergent Medical Associates, which operates 18 emergency departments in Southern California, said the level of fear is unprecedented.
"I haven't seen such a panic among communities perhaps ever," Bell said. "Right now, people think if they have a cough or a cold, they're going to die. That's a scary, frightening place to be in. I wish that this hysteria had not occurred and that we had tempered a little bit of our opinions and thoughts and fears in the media"
Erm... you think...?

"Malaria is killing thousands of people daily, the economy is not getting any better, it is time to move on."
WHO stats say one child dies from malaria every 30 seconds.
That's TWO children, every single minute of every single day. Doesn't include adults.
(Although being the WHO, is this more scaremongering..?)

Outside Mexico, however, the number of confirmed cases continues to rise, and officials say it will take time to confirm just how contagious and dangerous the virus is.
Hmmm, maybe that's something to do BEFORE panicking the planet.

Not the first time we've heard these types of horror stories before the next big thing fizzles out, probably won't be the last but what happened to responsible journalism??
Old 04 May 2009, 12:00 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It hasn't quite turned into the Shaun of the Dead style zombie outbreak I was hoping for. Cricket bat's and shovels back in the garage
Old 04 May 2009, 12:01 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

If people stopped buying papers and reading news sites and watching the news, then maybe just maybe they'd get what they deserve for peddling their bulls**t.

But then, people are stupid. Whilst there are many people who will see through it with ease and are capeable of reading between the lines of of mass exageration, padding and bull****, there are possibly more who are incapeable of doing so and read it as 100% factual, accurate truth.

Maybe this is why Police states control media; Otherwise if they are left loose and uncontrolled, we end up with the crap that we currently have to endure.
Old 04 May 2009, 12:09 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I would vote for anyone who introduced a law that states any media outlet that unnecessarily causes panic throughout a nation faces censor and fines.
Old 04 May 2009, 12:10 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

The Swine Flu Pandemic–Fact or Fiction? - What you’re not supposed to know
Old 04 May 2009, 12:22 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

The news editors are not accountable this is the problem. They get hold of a story and make up whatever they want.
I saw a reporter on "have your say" The magazine show thing that asks news editors why they have decided to run with certain stories say.
"we said up to 50,000 people in the UK could die as the government stats for a pandemic are 50,000 - 250,000. We chose the lower number to report. I will admit that the figures related to "A" pandemic not "this" pandemic. But I stand by picking the lower number I was responsible.

I would claim by picking up stats and messing with them to buff out your story makes you a bellend!!!
Old 04 May 2009, 12:25 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I don't know why people are surprised. The media are in a very large way reponsible for the complete loss of consumer and business confidence during this recession. Sure the recession is bad, but the media have poured gallon loads of petrol on the fire and fanned the flames with an industrial sized fan.

I know that won't sit well with the SN NSR Massive who want to blame the whole world financial crisis on Gordon Brown, but it is true (although Brown has certainly played his part).

The press in the UK are utter scum quite frankly and the fact that the BBC is in the mix and paid for by my taxes makes my blood boil.

Trending Topics

Old 04 May 2009, 12:26 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Ofcom here I come!!
Old 04 May 2009, 12:53 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I just hope that the people who appear on Jeremy Kyle and watch it catch swine flu or worse. Anyone who enjoys that rubbish is bound to be thick enough to believe everything the media and gutter-press say
Old 04 May 2009, 01:01 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by f1_fan
I don't know why people are surprised. The media are in a very large way reponsible for the complete loss of consumer and business confidence during this recession. Sure the recession is bad, but the media have poured gallon loads of petrol on the fire and fanned the flames with an industrial sized fan.

I know that won't sit well with the SN NSR Massive who want to blame the whole world financial crisis on Gordon Brown, but it is true (although Brown has certainly played his part).

The press in the UK are utter scum quite frankly and the fact that the BBC is in the mix and paid for by my taxes makes my blood boil.
The BBC aren't just in the mix, they are amongst the worst culprits Even today they are still trying to whip up the hysteria

I remember a time when BBC news journalism was the envy of the world

Now it seems that jounalists treat a BBC position a mere audition for the job they really want, on the staff of The S*n

Last edited by CrisPDuk; 04 May 2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04 May 2009, 01:03 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

In the US, the number of confirmed cases rose from 160 to 226.
Dr Schuchat said that although she expected cases to become more severe and to lead to deaths, this in itself would not be unusual as every year 36,000 people die in the US after contracting seasonal flu.
Not exactly worth worrying about in the grand scheme of things, more people than that in the US die of high velocity lead poisoning every month
Old 04 May 2009, 01:18 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I dare say more people in the US die of stupidity everyday
Old 04 May 2009, 02:37 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I see the WHO have stopped calling it Swine Flu, and are now using it's official designation of H1N1, and the media over here have picked up on that. I did see a few comments from some morons who reckoned there were now two strains of "killer flu", as they didn't seem to understand it was the same thing!

It does amuse me to see the waffling by the media. At present it's no more worrying that the normal yearly flu cycle that appears. The young, the old, and those with a poor immune system will be most likely to die, as they would with the normal flu.

Looking at the stats, there are 25 confirmed deaths in Mexico and outside of Mexico, ooh, look, one, yes ONE single death in the US, and I think that was a mexican child who was visiting the US.

Therefore, worldwide, at present, we're looking at the absolutely gargantuan death toll of, 26.

There are quite a lot more suspected and confirmed cases, but from what I've read, it's mild cases of flu, and apart from the aforementioned sections of society, healthy people are not dying from it, again, the same as the normal yearly flu outbreak.

With the hype you'd have thought thousands were dying daily of this, but at present they are not. I think the media is looking at the spanish flu, seeing it killed 70 - 100 million, and as it's a similar strain of flu, and the word pandemic is being used, they are getting all in a flutter, and thus causing panic amongst those who take what the Comedy News Network reports as being 100 percent truthful and accurate.

Last edited by Markus; 04 May 2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04 May 2009, 02:46 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Manny Pacquiao floored more Brits in 2 rounds than swine flu has in 2 weeks.
Old 04 May 2009, 03:31 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be fair, the authorities didn't know what they were dealing with, it looked pretty bad, they cant win, they d something we moan, they don't do anything and we catch it, we moan. I don't think anyone over here panicked, we were warned and kept abreast of developments, with regards to the media, yes they make a big fuss, yes they blow it out of all proportion, but why get all uppity about it, its not like its a new thing, it was Jade Goody last month, Swine Flu this and the financial situation as a backdrop, they do it to sell papers, read it watch it but for gods sake use it as evidence to make your own decisions not as gospel truth.
Old 04 May 2009, 03:32 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I flew from Hong Kong to the UK on Friday night Saturday morning. The number of Chinese persons on that flight who wore face masks for its 13 hour duration was incredible. There was a young lad who was violently sick just as the just as the RPM's lifted on the engines for take-off, the pilot aborted the takeoff and returned to the stand to have the passenger evac'd into the care of medics. For around 30 minutes he was constantly throwing up. There was short period of panic as I heard some suggest they would like to get off the plane as a precaution as this lad may have contracted swine flu. Personally I think he over did it with the alcohol consumption, but a worried public were very swift to draw the wrong conclusion.

Is swine flu really anything more severe than a fierce hangover that lasts for a week?

Last edited by tarmac terror; 04 May 2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04 May 2009, 03:48 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
I flew from Hong Kong to the UK on Friday night Saturday morning. The number of Chinese persons on that flight who wore face masks for its 13 hour duration was incredible.
Ironic isn't it? Millions of people have AIDs and yet still don't bother using condoms.
Old 04 May 2009, 04:54 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
die of high velocity lead poisoning every month
Old 04 May 2009, 07:00 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
If people stopped buying papers and reading news sites and watching the news, then maybe just maybe they'd get what they deserve for peddling their bulls**t.

But then, people are stupid. Whilst there are many people who will see through it with ease and are capeable of reading between the lines of of mass exageration, padding and bull****, there are possibly more who are incapeable of doing so and read it as 100% factual, accurate truth.

Maybe this is why Police states control media; Otherwise if they are left loose and uncontrolled, we end up with the crap that we currently have to endure.
The Mrs mother and Aunty are like that. Theres 6 of them going to Spain in June (mum, dad, sister, anty, uncle and cousin). Only now as this terrible apidemic is killing the worlds population, her Mother and Aunt don't wanna go anymore.

£2k down the drain FFS.

Her dad (father in-law) still wants to go, and he's got confirmed skin cancer for christs sake.

People, just people Ali - they're f**king stupid for reading that dross
Old 04 May 2009, 07:09 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I suppose it's better than them doing ef all and then everyone saying why did they sit there when they could have done x,y or z.
Two positives from this, it takes peoples minds off the recession, it subdues the virus before the real flu season strikes and we don't lose half our pensioners.
Old 04 May 2009, 07:34 PM
yoza
BANNED

Dont tell me Ive wasted my money....

Swine Flu Domain AH1N1 Influenza Vaccine .co.uk .com on eBay, also, Domain Names, Web Domains Email Software, Computing (end time 08-May-09 06:49:37 BST)

I ve just realised, Im bidding on a domain.

Im doomed.

Last edited by yoza; 04 May 2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04 May 2009, 08:08 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
The Mrs mother and Aunty are like that. Theres 6 of them going to Spain in June (mum, dad, sister, anty, uncle and cousin). Only now as this terrible apidemic is killing the worlds population, her Mother and Aunt don't wanna go anymore.

£2k down the drain FFS.

Her dad (father in-law) still wants to go, and he's got confirmed skin cancer for christs sake.

People, just people Ali - they're f**king stupid for reading that dross
That is just funny, don't go on holiday due to what is a comparatively mild type of flu (unless you are wearing a Sombrero), how did someone that clueless get 2 grand to go away in the first place ?

Of course if you go to Spain you have more chance of dying from the plane crashing, food poisoning, alcohol poisoning, heart attack whilst dancing to Agadoo, Chicken in a basket bone lodged in windpipe, mental taxi drivers, beaten to death by drunk brits, STD's, Basque Separatist group terrorism, Spanish Police hospitality, drowning, jet ski to the head etc etc

So they don't cos of the possibility of flu ?
Old 04 May 2009, 08:21 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Sounds like you've had some crackin' holidays to Spain .... !

Dave
J4cko forgot to mention getting mugged by Morrocans or 'gold' poisoning from the 'genuine' Rolex's available at a bargain price.
Old 04 May 2009, 08:32 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
That is just funny, don't go on holiday due to what is a comparatively mild type of flu (unless you are wearing a Sombrero), how did someone that clueless get 2 grand to go away in the first place ?

Of course if you go to Spain you have more chance of dying from the plane crashing, food poisoning, alcohol poisoning, heart attack whilst dancing to Agadoo, Chicken in a basket bone lodged in windpipe, mental taxi drivers, beaten to death by drunk brits, STD's, Basque Separatist group terrorism, Spanish Police hospitality, drowning, jet ski to the head etc etc

So they don't cos of the possibility of flu ?
Wrong side of the bed this morning?

Regards money, Nat's father earns a good wage working at Corus in Scunny, and her mum works in a old folks home I think. Her mam is the hypercondriac type suprisingly
Old 04 May 2009, 09:46 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Torquemada
It hasn't quite turned into the Shaun of the Dead style zombie outbreak I was hoping for. Cricket bat's and shovels back in the garage
Old 05 May 2009, 10:53 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
Less than two weeks since the hysteria began, some quotes from news stories today...

Ooooh... 44...

OMFG - nearly a thousand

Erm... you think...?

WHO stats say one child dies from malaria every 30 seconds.
That's TWO children, every single minute of every single day. Doesn't include adults.
(Although being the WHO, is this more scaremongering..?)

Hmmm, maybe that's something to do BEFORE panicking the planet.

Not the first time we've heard these types of horror stories before the next big thing fizzles out, probably won't be the last but what happened to responsible journalism??
It is not in the Media's interest to care about responsible things though.

Les
Old 05 May 2009, 10:58 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

You have more chance of ending up dead, crossing the road......

oink, oink

Quick Reply: Do you think the worlds media needs to be reminded of the boy that cried wolf?