Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Things I don't understand about modifying cars.

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2009, 08:11 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Things I don't understand about modifying cars.

Why do all the Jap/VW guys want there back wheels to look like the axels are broken?

It looks terrible in my opinion
Old 03 May 2009, 08:21 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting old, 'cos every day I find the inexorable obsession with changing absolutely every bloody thing on a car irritating, pointless and stupid. If it doesn't improve how it goes, stops or handles then leave it be IMHO.
Old 03 May 2009, 08:35 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

i'm very much similar, i like seeing subtle mods that look factory.
Old 03 May 2009, 08:41 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

When I was younger I had a vw that was super low and it looked a bit like that, Also had a MK1 cortina that I lowered beyond use.
Its just a Euro look trend, The VW scene IMO seemed very very clicky when I was in it and some of the modding that goes on take just about all the functionality out of the car. But my VW friends laugh at me for having a big spoiler.
Old 03 May 2009, 08:41 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Not like this then.....

And yes, that was a MacMerc SLR
Old 03 May 2009, 08:45 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Of all the car enthusiast groups I've encountered, the VW mob tend to be the most cliquéy, judgmental, obnoxious, pious and unfriendly. With their rose tinted Golf windscreens they only ever see chavs in Subaru's, and never have a good word to say about any other marque, whilst never attending any events, preferring to just bitch and moan about everything except VAG stuff from the safety of their keyboards.
Old 03 May 2009, 08:47 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Of all the car enthusiast groups I've encountered, the VW mob tend to be the most cliquéy, judgmental, obnoxious, pious and unfriendly. With their rose tinted Golf windscreens they only ever see chavs in Subaru's, and never have a good word to say about any other marque, whilst never attending any events, preferring to just bitch and moan about everything except VAG stuff from the safety of their keyboards.
Ah so you have been to GTi international too horrible inst it

Trending Topics

Old 03 May 2009, 08:58 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

'the-corrado,net' and 'ClubGTi' did it for me. I was actually banned from ClubGTi for inviting them to my cheap, non-profit trackday I used to love my old VW, but unlike them I was fully aware of its (many) faults and (serious) limitations, and just how much better in almost every way my Scoob was.
Old 03 May 2009, 08:58 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

spot on there, i know a few in the VAG show group and i went to a meet in the sti, i had a gash mk1 polo next to my car and they never once took a pic of mine but where all over the shed of a polo.....bloody stupid.

there is also a club called no ricers if i remember rightly
Old 03 May 2009, 09:00 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

It's laughable how car modders/stylers always bleat on about "individuality" yet they nearly all style their cars in the same way or within very narrow parameters. It's more about belonging to a group than it is about showing individuality, which is paradoxical and very amusing.
Old 03 May 2009, 09:13 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Rather than slag off VAG's(as much as i actually enjoy it) What is the actual reason behind this broken axel "look"?
Old 03 May 2009, 09:35 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

One thing the dubbers are doing ATM is the rat look ****ing hate it. Stick some stickers and rusty body work and they call it a style I'll get some pics up just to show what I mean later
Old 03 May 2009, 09:40 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Rat....

Old 03 May 2009, 09:49 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

Have you met the mercedes owners club? their terrible, terrible sobby people. When I got my first merc I tried getting into the club meetings and no matter what merc you have its just not as good as "their" merc and to modify it was worse than commiting buggery of the family pet! and classic Mercedes owners are even worse, there an absolute bunch of snobs.

I think one of the problems with modifying cars is young kids stick bits on their cars with no thought for the concequences these parts will have. How many will have had the suspension dropped on its **** but no alignment?
Old 03 May 2009, 09:50 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Rather than slag off VAG's(as much as i actually enjoy it) What is the actual reason behind this broken axel "look"?
If you're talking about the shocking camber the wheels sit at, it's not a look they try and achieve. They just lower the car as much as possible, and that leaves the wheel sitting with negative camber because of the angle of the lower arm.

Don't know why I'm saying 'they' - I had a 3 door Civic that scubbed the inside of the tyres like hell. I learned the hard way when I rolled it after 6 days!

Edit - The car in question

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 03 May 2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03 May 2009, 09:50 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
It's laughable how car modders/stylers always bleat on about "individuality" yet they nearly all style their cars in the same way or within very narrow parameters. It's more about belonging to a group than it is about showing individuality, which is paradoxical and very amusing.
yes Bubster very erm...................................juxstapositi ony thingy

Last edited by bigsinky; 03 May 2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03 May 2009, 09:53 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

A

IS A

Last edited by bigsinky; 03 May 2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03 May 2009, 10:12 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil_wrx
spot on there, i know a few in the VAG show group and i went to a meet in the sti, i had a gash mk1 polo next to my car and they never once took a pic of mine but where all over the shed of a polo.....bloody stupid.

there is also a club called no ricers if i remember rightly
You mean No Rice, Used to be on the M3 fleet services I think its now moved to leadymead in Guildford.
I went there a few times but after it transpired that My friends and I would just seem to spend the evening saying how rubbish it was we stopped going.

No rice is still going but I am not sure it will ever be as big as it once was. A lot of people that were once VAG now realise that for the same money as a MK2 GTi they can get a classic impreza, Civic type R etc etc.
Old 03 May 2009, 10:19 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

that white corsa above is from bradford aint it? he used to have a white bonnet, has he made it rust or gt a rusty effect? used to see it all time, apparently redtop engine in it too
Old 03 May 2009, 10:23 PM
Dan Gleebits
Scooby Regular

Location: in a place where there lots of rocks to chuck at feejits

agree with Corradoboy et all that the 'Vee Dubeeya' sceeeeene can be VERY cliquey and will frown on anything out of their own parameters,
I go to a fair few of these shows, yet dont have a Dub
On the other hand, if you go to (most of) the older Air-cooled shows they are far more laid back.
Old 03 May 2009, 10:30 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

totally agree, Aircooled shows are awesome. Water cooled scene is a bit choppy.
Old 03 May 2009, 11:32 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

I'm getting old, 'cos every day I find the inexorable obsession with changing absolutely every bloody thing on a car irritating, pointless and stupid. If it doesn't improve how it goes, stops or handles then leave it be IMHO.
agreed, i have completely lost interest in pissing about with cars, i got the zs180, sourced a front spoiler because it was missing, and then painted it, i will be VERY suprised if i bother touching it again!

its just a big fat waste of cash that i can not justify anymore.

the roads become more and more clogged, and the only time you get to ring a cars neck in, is at a track event nowadays.

think we are going to the ring in august mind
will take the rover and kick its ******* in
Old 03 May 2009, 11:34 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsinky

Ooo, a Black and Decker Trim 'n Edge

Good tool them, except the bearings can get a bit noisy if its kept in a damp shed. Interesting feature is when the bearings eventually do seize, the motor super-heats the screws which secure the shroud, which in turn melts and falls off.

Also the auto-feed is notorious for sticking, and its not uncommon for the whole lot just to fall of the motor shaft.

Sorry, what were we talking about again?

Originally Posted by Dan Gleebits
agree with Corradoboy et all that the 'Vee Dubeeya' sceeeeene can be VERY cliquey and will frown on anything out of their own parameters,
I go to a fair few of these shows, yet dont have a Dub
On the other hand, if you go to (most of) the older Air-cooled shows they are far more laid back.

Ahh yes VAG elitism, Had a run in with some GTi geeks over how a MkV Gti is better than a R32 "cos its cheaper an' can be chipped to a gazzillion horse power". Fine, that means they can catch up with me on the main straight once the ESP has stopped the wheelspin by refusing to let anything more than 150bhp go through the front wheels...wooooo, I'm so impressed If I wanted a small, fast turbocharged VAG car, I would have bought an S3. They didn't like that well reasoned response LMAO.

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 May 2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04 May 2009, 12:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

When I and my mates were into modding our cars we just did all the good things to the engines, better cams and polishing ports, better manifolds and carbs, and higher compression etc. Then we would get the suspension sorted so that they went round corners, and we would leave them looking as bog standard as possible.

That way we could leave the others for dead and the tall hatted gentlemen did not suspect us so much as the jazzed up brigade of such things!

Les
Old 04 May 2009, 12:39 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I'm loving this thread as its just turned into a big ol VW slagging and i hate them

the only thing worse on the road is the 306 D-Turbo brigade!
Old 04 May 2009, 01:22 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The irony of course being that a Mod on Scoobynet owns a Golf
Old 04 May 2009, 02:12 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
the tall hatted gentlemen
I think that's probably one of the nicer terms I've heard!
Old 04 May 2009, 02:19 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie
That way we could leave the others for dead and the tall hatted gentlemen did not suspect us so much as the jazzed up brigade of such things!
Why were you hiding from a load of these guys? Portrait Of A Gentleman With A Tall Hat And Gloves 1660 : Reproduction paintings, Portrait paintings
Old 04 May 2009, 02:32 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
The irony of course being that a Mod on Scoobynet owns a Golf
Does anyone on NSR actually own an Impreza?
Old 04 May 2009, 02:36 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

NSR, I believe, is a chav-free zone

Quick Reply: Things I don't understand about modifying cars.