Old banger scrappage scheme.

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2009, 12:58 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old banger scrappage scheme.

What do people make of this?

We have just took the bait with this offer, the missus has a battered old 1996 corsa, that was her first car, she had planned to scrap it in at some point this year anyway, and was wanting a new fiat 500.

Speaking to a dealership yesterday, the corsa is worth £2k off the fiat 500, so she took one out on a test drive and loved it, she now has a build number for a brand new car

She is over the moon, i can not really see any downsides, yes a brand spanking new car loses a big chunk of value as soon as you drive it, but that is cancelled out by the fact that you had a big chunk knocked off anyway ?

The dealership claimed the manufacturer were pulling out from the scrappage scheme in a months time as it was costing them to much money (could be sales waffle)

I know a few manufacturers have been unable to sign up as they can not afford it
Old 03 May 2009, 01:53 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

its proberly the costs involved in scrapping the car, eg transport etc that would make some manufaturers opt out. its only a grand from the government anyway, so uve got 1k off the fiat500 which i think is pretty good, from what ive heard there wasnt discounts on them due to demand.

i wonder what would happen at ford, focus rs, no discount avalible. yet with the scrappage scheme ure getting a grand off.? would they do it?
Old 03 May 2009, 02:00 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Personally I would have visited the showroom and tried to haggle a deal saying I was paying cash with no mention of the scheme. Just to see what discounts were available without the part ex scheme.

You obviously wont get a further £2k off but you can bet your life the two figures you got wouldn't be £2000 apart.
Old 03 May 2009, 02:25 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

There was a MotorPoint advert in the paper yesterday that said "Thank you Darling!" and mentioned how simply driving a brand new car off the forecourt would cost you more than the two grand scrappage discount! Kinda puts things in perspective

Strange how some manufacturers increased their prices recently before the scheme was announced - almost as if they knew that it was about to happen

mb
Old 03 May 2009, 04:35 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

I dont think the fiat 500 prices were adjusted, the dealer still had some paperwork dotted about with the old prices on, and he had to confirm what the discount would actually be, as nobody was really sure on what exactly you got

i had to laugh at some of the sales waffle we were told, apparently loads of people are going for the fiat 500 on this scheme, and when she actually paid her deposit, he told her that she would be one of the first to get a car on the scheme (probably because loads of people have not gone for the deal as he first said pmsl)

iirc she has a build number now, and picks up her new car within the next 6 weeks!

it kinda works well for us, as she wanted a 500 anyway, and we did not think the corsa would have passed its next looming MOT, it required rather a lot of welding on the chassis to make the last MOT

she has went with a PCP ? type deal

the corsa stands for 2k deposit, she then pays around £99 a month for a few years and gets the balance payment, or hands it back/ trades it against another new car

she already has the balance payment sitting in a bank account due to the teachers bonus they get after a years service

Last edited by StickyMicky; 03 May 2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03 May 2009, 04:39 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car in its current abused condition wouldn't be worth £2k if i sold it at the moment but the reason i drive around in a 2/3k car is i can't afford a new one thus this scheme is of little to no interest to me as £2k of the list price of a new car is practicially **** all imo.
Old 03 May 2009, 05:23 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

What good is the scheme if after getting 2K for your old shed, you cant afford to buy another?

Mart

Trending Topics

Old 03 May 2009, 05:34 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

It depends what you paid outright.

If they charged you full RRP OTR retail for the car, they can easily knock off £2K with or without a car to trade in as the £2K discount is already built into the asking price.

However if the car is already discounted from its OTR retail price AND you get an extra £2K off in addition to that, then you should be getting a good deal
Old 03 May 2009, 05:42 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
It depends what you paid outright.

If they charged you full RRP OTR retail for the car, they can easily knock off £2K with or without a car to trade in as the £2K discount is already built into the asking price.

However if the car is already discounted from its OTR retail price AND you get an extra £2K off in addition to that, then you should be getting a good deal
... that's if you can afford to buy a new car or get finance.
Old 03 May 2009, 05:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Anyhoo; I'm against the scheme as it may jepodise our family business

(we make money from fixing people's old s**t tips )
Old 03 May 2009, 05:49 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Anyhoo; I'm against the scheme as it may jepodise our family business

(we make money from fixing people's old s**t tips )
I didn't realise you repair Subarus
Old 03 May 2009, 06:16 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

It's only worth it if you paid less than list price - which I guess you didn't?

I would have haggled hard for the best price, then pointed through the window at the Corsa held together with rust and demanded the governments £2000 ...... his face would have been a picture
Old 03 May 2009, 07:09 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

lol why did this thread turn into a you didnt screw the dealer enough one.

buy a car because you want it rather than buying it because its got the most money off. lets not forget as well that motorpoint cars are either imports or bags of ****e. hense why there so cheap. duh!
Old 03 May 2009, 07:13 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
It's only worth it if you paid less than list price - which I guess you didn't?

I would have haggled hard for the best price, then pointed through the window at the Corsa held together with rust and demanded the governments £2000 ...... his face would have been a picture
Bull Pedro, one of the first questions a decent salesman ask's is ... what are you driving just now ? Are you trading that in ?
If you say no then he's quite within his right to withdraw the offer

Micky, nice car. For the majority of new cars there is discount available so some manufacturers/dealers are taking this into consideration at the time of building the deal

Its just a goverment backed marketing ploy guys to kickstart new cars sales as the goverment are losing out on the vat from new sales.
You pay vat on used vehicles as well but thats always less than new cost
Old 03 May 2009, 08:30 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

'Building The Deal' what tripe speak!

http://willtheybuyagain.files.wordpr...r-salesman.jpg
Old 03 May 2009, 08:45 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Great car the 500, I've got one and it's ace

Mine has £35 a year road tax too. I bought it last year before this scrappage thing, but then again, the car I had before wouldn't have been eligible as it was too new - X Reg. Besides, it was nicked, so I got £2k to put towards the new car anyway.

Good luck, what spec/colour have you gone for?
Old 03 May 2009, 09:12 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

So what did she/ will she end up paying for the 500?
Old 03 May 2009, 10:39 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You are getting £1000 from the government, the manufacturer stands the other £1000 (if they have signed up for the scheme)

All it means is that £1000 you would have got off the car as manufacturers discount is coming of as 'scrappage' allowance.

The extra £1k is okay if you currently own a car worth next to nothing and are planning to change it anyway !
Old 03 May 2009, 11:27 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
So what did she/ will she end up paying for the 500?

no idea!

no idea where her paperwork is either, i kept out of it, i was only at the dealership to try and prevent her from making any rash decisions, she was ready to dive straight in and leave a deposit without even test driving it PMSL!
Old 03 May 2009, 11:47 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which country has built the car and where is your money going ??? I thought the UK Scrappage scheme was to build up the UK car market and keep our guys in jobs !!

Shaun
Old 03 May 2009, 11:57 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
What do people make of this?

We have just took the bait with this offer, the missus has a battered old 1996 corsa, that was her first car, she had planned to scrap it in at some point this year anyway, and was wanting a new fiat 500.

Speaking to a dealership yesterday, the corsa is worth £2k off the fiat 500, so she took one out on a test drive and loved it, she now has a build number for a brand new car

She is over the moon, i can not really see any downsides, yes a brand spanking new car loses a big chunk of value as soon as you drive it, but that is cancelled out by the fact that you had a big chunk knocked off anyway ?

The dealership claimed the manufacturer were pulling out from the scrappage scheme in a months time as it was costing them to much money (could be sales waffle)

I know a few manufacturers have been unable to sign up as they can not afford it
I am not sure what to make of it from the government/country's perspective, but if you have got a good deal that you are happy with and let's face it anything over £250 for your Corsa has to be a good deal then that's all that matters.

Even if you could have got the car a bit less for cash or no trade in I doubt it would be £2000 less.

Sounds to me like you have done well. Hope your lady enjoys her new motor.
Old 04 May 2009, 01:08 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
the corsa stands for 2k deposit, she then pays around £99 a month for a few years and gets the balance payment, or hands it back/ trades it against another new car
How many years ? The final payment might be more than the car's worth when it's time to knock it in ! Don't rule out the comparative cost of running an old shed versus what you'd fork out for a new motor - even if it costs you a few quid at MoT time, it might be cheaper than £99 a month for 'x' amount of years. I think the 2k government offer is injecting false hope into new car market, personally - there will be a bit of a sales bubble, but when the government stop the offer, the new car market will be in the same place as before ..
Old 04 May 2009, 07:37 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......

Which country has built the car and where is your money going ??? I thought the UK Scrappage scheme was to build up the UK car market and keep our guys in jobs !!

Shaun
If its to build up UK cars, then there,s going to be a lot of

Rolls-Royce
Jaguars
Bentley
Lotus
Aston Martins
Caterham
Westfield
Morgans
Mcclaren

Cars around, however given that your not going to see much change out of 50K for the average of the above UK cars, then 2K is paltry.
I doubt in todays climate finance would be very forthcoming on the above in vast numbers.

It still comes back to the banks to release funds, scrappage or any other scheme is pointless unless the funding is there to continue the cycle

Mart
Old 04 May 2009, 07:39 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

its either 3 or 4 years IIRC ?

i belive she has been given a guaranteed final figure, this can not change, if the car is not worth the final figure at the end of the term she can hand it back ?

so she is not paying more then its worth, she would lose her deposit, but the deposit is not worth anything anyway in real terms (battered old crapbox that will not pass another MOT)

as far as i am aware, she is basically "hiring" (for £99 per month) the car for the 3-4 years, and can either buy it at the end to own it, or hand it back without an issue.

i have never bought/hired a car under this type of agreement, so i am not fully sure on all the details, but she has enough cash put away to pay the balance if needs be.

i was reading the AutoExpress mag last week and the section devoted to this, said that the 500 was the cheapest and best deal to be had from the current offers, hence why i showed it to her (she wanted one anyway!)

Last edited by StickyMicky; 04 May 2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04 May 2009, 07:57 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

just found this

General: Scrappage scheme with the 500? - Page 8 - The FIAT Forum

it seams that fiat dont want to discount the 500 and are trying to wrangle out from offering the discount on the car, from what i have read online, the dealers have not been discounting the car because the factory can not keep up with the demand.

if that link is true then it looks like fiat will be raising the prices of the 500 model to "compensate" the discount, so us getting the "discount" at the moment without the raised prices seams to be a bit of a peach snooze you looze and all that malarkey

will be intresting to see what happens in the next few weeks, this kind of make sense when the dealer claimed that fiat were going to drop out ?

the fiat web page does not even list the 500 on it as part of the scheme, just claiming that "other models will be available shortly"

Fiat.co.uk | GOVERNMENT CAR SCRAPPAGE SCHEME

this is for the panda, which has been around a bit lomger and gets discounts anyway....
OTR Price £7,095
Government Incentive £1,000
FIAT-ecoplus BONUS £1,100
Offer Price £4,995
Deposit £0
47 Monthly Payments £89
Optional Final Payment (inc £285 fee) £1,669.35
Total Amount Payable £5,852.35
Excess Mileage (per mile) £0.06
APR Typical 6.5%

weather or not you could get it discounted down to £5852, paying cash, i have no idea, i prefer to buy a nearly new car and not take the hit lol

Last edited by StickyMicky; 04 May 2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04 May 2009, 10:10 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day your wife has a new car, well done I hope she enjoys it.
Old 04 May 2009, 10:34 AM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

if the baloon on the end is only like 1500 squid, im pretty sure a 30k panda will be worth more and 1500 squid. so the bit u get at the end would be yours to take out of the car.

the way it works is that your offsetting a cunk of the car, hense getting lower monthlys. if you took a straight hp, the payment would be doubled. the reason the car manufaturers like pcp, is because the first person u ring near the end of your contract will be the dealer u bought it off, which means they have another oppertunity to sell u another car.

if you gonna own the car for the rest of your life, then pcp isnt for you, if not then its ideal, i dont want to own somthing thats gonna loose a shed load of money. with cheap cars it works really nicely, as the balances are smaller, u take a rangey sport on a pcp and you will be handing it back. lol
Old 04 May 2009, 12:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I don't think it is right that those who can afford to buy a new car should be effectively subsidised by the taxpayer to do so. The scheme will cost us all more money in the end anyway as car prices go up and we get charged more tax to support the scheme.

Les
Old 04 May 2009, 12:48 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
At the end of the day your wife has a new car, well done I hope she enjoys it.

don't give her ideas

i have had enough hassle recently about babies/houses and rings
Old 04 May 2009, 01:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

So its not just me with the hassle then!

Les

Quick Reply: Old banger scrappage scheme.