Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Teachers demand 10% pay increase

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2009, 08:40 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Teachers demand 10% pay increase

The average teacher's salary is £33,000.

Their directed hours are 26 hours per week! For the weeks they are actually at school.

It's about time Teachers took a look at the 'real' world ..... they get 2 payrises per year - an increment increase and an annual payrise!!

The NUT are as militant as the Miners were and need flattening IMO.

Last edited by SunnySideUp; 13 April 2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 13 April 2009, 08:44 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spotted this, here we go again.

10% FFS, even the firemen didn't get this after months of striking, what chance do they really think they have in today's financial climate.
Old 13 April 2009, 08:52 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I think that cops should get a 20% pay rise
Old 13 April 2009, 08:58 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

It's turning into a farce, CPS getting £250 for getting to work, teachers asking for a payrise that is 3 times the rate of inflation, MPs getting 2 or 3 homes. No wonder this country is going to the dogs the way that tax payers money is wasted
Old 13 April 2009, 09:05 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

my brother is currently training in nottingham and by what he tells me i think they deserve it ,think he gets about 18k at the minute while he is training .

think if i was going to be a teacher i would teach primary school as the older ones think there as tough as al capone or think there of "boyz in da hood"
Old 13 April 2009, 09:09 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

You would think that being teachers they would be intelligent enough to realise that we are in a global financial crisis and hence just maybe everyone needs to do their bit to ease the financial strain like not asking for a 10% payrise.

Selfish ****s is all I can say to them really. Hope they get nothing.

Trending Topics

Old 13 April 2009, 09:11 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
Their directed hours are 26 hours per week! For the weeks they are actually at school.

It's about time Teachers took a look at the 'real' world ..... they get 2 payrises per year - an increment increase and an annual payrise!!

Where on earth do you get this from. Do you think the lessons they teach, plan themselves? Do you also realise that marking has to be done on top of assessments, report writing, target setting, parents evenings to mention but a few. Most of these, planning, research and resource making taking up most of this time, have to be completed out of school hours sometimes at home quite late into the evenings. Its a common myth that teachers only work school hours, and I can confirm (my wife is a teacher) that this could not be further from the truth. 50 hours a week plus is not uncommon.
Yes I agree 10% is way too much to demand in this current climate and the NUT are very militant, but the truth of the matter is that most teachers (especially in the north) are well below the national average for professional pay and IMHO are underpaid for the responsiblity that rests on their shoulders, (as are other professions, firemen, police,nurses etc) especially in more deprived areas.

Last edited by BLU; 13 April 2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 13 April 2009, 09:12 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zs_phil
my brother is currently training in nottingham and by what he tells me i think they deserve it ,think he gets about 18k at the minute while he is training .

think if i was going to be a teacher i would teach primary school as the older ones think there as tough as al capone or think there of "boyz in da hood"
My sister-in-law is in her second year of teaching at an inner-city Notiingham school and Boyz-in-da-hood doesn't come close to the **** she has to deal with. About half of the children of criminal age who go there have already got criminal records.
Old 13 April 2009, 09:16 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Of course, they also go on all expenses paid Ski-ing trips with the best kids ..... it's a tough old job .... funny how they demand that SAT Tests are not done, but they will put themselves out to do a very difficult week in Greece/Cyprus/Spain - paid for by the parents of the kids.

Last edited by SunnySideUp; 13 April 2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 13 April 2009, 09:18 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blu-scoob
[COLOR="Blue"]50 hours a week plus is not uncommon.COLOR]
Welcome to the real world!!! If I believed it was 50 hours+ every week beyond the 4-5 weeks' holiday most people get then I'd start to believe it might be a job worth the average pay mentioned above. But it's not, is it. It's an occasional 50 hour week during term time and the odd evening work for parents' evening. Blimey, what hardship.

Gordo
Old 13 April 2009, 09:21 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by blu-scoob
IMHO are underpaid for the responsiblity that rests on their shoulders, (as are other professions, firemen, police,nurses etc) especially in more deprived areas.
That's life as a public servant, you don't do it to get rich, you make your own choices and take your money
Old 13 April 2009, 09:27 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gordo
Welcome to the real world!!! If I believed it was 50 hours+ every week beyond the 4-5 weeks' holiday most people get then I'd start to believe it might be a job worth the average pay mentioned above. But it's not, is it. It's an occasional 50 hour week during term time and the odd evening work for parents' evening. Blimey, what hardship.

Gordo

Well its obvious that you don't know any teachers then as you would realise the hours put in out of school time, plus the **** they have to deal with, from both pupils and idiot, unreasonable parents make their pay IMHO way below what it needs to be. And make no mistake I think this is the case across the board with a lot of professions. Maybe they should lower the pay of footballers, politicians and the like to pay people who do the REAL work in this country.
Old 13 April 2009, 09:28 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
That's life as a public servant, you don't do it to get rich, you make your own choices and take your money
And we look after the lives of the public.

Still, what use to you is a £50k a year salary if an underpayed plod can deprive you of your priceless liberty?
Old 13 April 2009, 09:35 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
And we look after the lives of the public.

Still, what use to you is a £50k a year salary if an underpayed plod can deprive you of your priceless liberty?
Yes we do, and we get very little gratitude for it. ATEOTD our professions add up to votes, and if they don't add up to votes our budgets get cut and we have to make compromises.

What is more annoying is the people who cut the budgets then add a layer of beauracracy that means the way the money is spent becomes more wasteful, and we need to employ more ancilliary staff to ensure that the money is wasted in the most efficient manner, otherwise teachers, firemen, coppers, doctors nurses and soldiers could all have a 10% payrise.
Old 13 April 2009, 09:41 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I still want 20%

Luckily I've got 34 years to make Chief Constable and earn some decent wedge
Old 13 April 2009, 09:47 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say dock them 10% for being thick and asking for an 10% increase during a recession! With teachers as smart as this, can u really put faith in our leaders of tomorrow which they are training up?

All the teachers and wannabe teachers that i know fall into two catagories
1. Thick - As mud, idiots who drive golf/A3's. Don't actually have any common sense, tend to not understand how things actually work in the real world.
2. ******* - Drugs, pubs and RnB lovers. Oustanding class of intelligence who like to sniff coke cus its cool, drive Mini's, act like slags (male & female) and think that God licks there right bollock for luck everyday whilst believing they really are on Waterloo Road.

Last edited by Jamz3k; 13 April 2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 13 April 2009, 09:50 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

I still want 20%

Luckily I've got 34 years to make Chief Constable and earn some decent wedge
I'll second that.
Though I doubt I'll make Chief
Old 13 April 2009, 09:53 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I'd settle for DCI
Old 13 April 2009, 09:55 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

I'd settle for DCI
But you'd have to trade the scooby for a quattro
Old 13 April 2009, 10:17 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

LOL Pete, you're a ****-stirring old tw@t, aren't you?

OK - just to put the record straight.
Average of 26 hours contact time.
Contracted for an "official" 37.5 hours. ie standard working week.
The holiday - yes, a BIT better than average (about an additional 2 weeks over standard)

Sadly, you're wrong about the 2 payrises. There is an official annual "payrise" of circa 2.5% each year (to keep in with inflation )
The increment is only up to a certain glass ceiling in accordance with your contract.
Which ties in quite nicely with the "average" teachers' salary of £33K. WOW Fiction. Sorry. Might be like that in the big smoke, but with the cost of living, that equates to about £24K.....
Which is the best you can expect outside of London.

But we don't want to take into account the hours & hours of extra work etc.

And as a so-called Governor, YOU should know better. There's nobody in a school/education establishment who works harder than the staff at the chalk face.
Don't talk to me about all the unpaid work you Governors do - it's a power trip and self-gratification for people with fragile egos who have nothing better to do.....

So, yes, bring it on - I would love a pay rise. Hell, dammit. I deserve it!

LOL you naughty old troll

Dan

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
The average teacher's salary is £33,000.

Old 13 April 2009, 11:30 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Funny attitude for a school governor.
Old 13 April 2009, 11:43 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

many many years ago shared a house with a couple of primary school teachers.

pretty much every evening was spent marking or preparing lessons for the next day.

26 hours is bull. they work longer than that.

sister-in-law is a college teacher and she spends AlOT of time outside the official hours doing preperation etc...

my personal point of view is that the teachers are educationally grooming the future of this country. pay to get good teachers to get well educated kids for the future.

*puts on triple-layer flamesuit*
Old 14 April 2009, 12:03 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dave, your 1st wife was very lucky. I don't know any teachers or lecturers who have that amount of time off. So with all due respect, I will go on about the time
FWIW, using myself as an example, despite it now being the 2nd week of Easter "break", I've had 1 day off last week - my daughter's birthday.
However, I've got 60 2000 word assignments and CDs/DVDs to assess. Not a problem as I'm not complaining about the work (actually looking forward to hearing/seeing what my lot have done ), but this will keep me busy for the entire week now. Plus I'm installing studios in prep for next week.
Other lecturers in my college are in the same boat - holidays are a luxury. YES, in defence of your comments, there are some who aren't as work-intensive as other colleagues. Draw your own conclusions from that (both good & bad).

My sister is a school teacher - she's been in most days too.

Uni lecturers/professors, well that's a different story.

Dan

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Hmmm. The first wife was a teacher. She seemed to have lots of time free - a LOT more than me that is. Plus the 2 weeks at Xmas, 2 at Easter and whatever the kids get in the summer. Then they have the cheek to have 'inset' days. Days off for training BUT when the kids are supposed to be in school. How about when the kids are on holiday????

Don't get me wrong, most do a great job and have loads of sh^t to deal with. But don't go on about how hard done by teachers are timewise!

Dave
Old 14 April 2009, 12:11 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add, you'll find that those who don't take any time at the smaller holidays, will usually "bank" it for the Summer. (All 6 weeks iirc), however, the sad/harsh reality is that you actually run out of days to take the holiday during the Summer, therefore, you LOSE it, as there's too much work to prep for the next year.

How many "private" sector jobs will require you to work through your holiday - I'm not talking about because the "contract needed to be done", as that's different work environment. I'm talking about a combination of all the worst attributes of each working practice. The + sides are relative job security, marginally extended holiday (see above ) and regular wage.

Dan
Old 14 April 2009, 12:18 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who Has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, Since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He Will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:
Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
Why the early bird gets the Worm;
Life isn't always fair; and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend More than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, Are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but Overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy Charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate;
teens suspended From school for using mouthwash after lunch;
and a teacher fired for Reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the Job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly Children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental Consent to administer sun lotion or an Aspirin to a student; but could Not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an Abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses;
And criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a Burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to Realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in Her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by His wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son,Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers;
I Know My Rights
I Want It Now
Someone Else Is To Blame
I'm A Victim

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.
Old 14 April 2009, 08:13 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dsmith
Funny attitude for a school governor.
So, you are saying that I should sanction a 10% payrise ........ ????

I am there to see the Taxpayers money spent wisely .... on the KIDS not lining some Teachers pockets - performance should be rewarded, not a blanket sob story!

Greed is greed wherever it raises its ugly head and the NUT are extremely militant, needing a fight to knock them into reality!

Last edited by SunnySideUp; 14 April 2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 14 April 2009, 08:49 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

My sister is one (private primary school), my bro in law is one (Millfield), my cousin is one (head of dept, state primary school) and I know loads of other teachers - it's a good option down here. Pretty safe, pay is considered good and the hours mean you can surf a lot.
It seems that private school teachers are generally much happier - much less red tape, good facilities, etc and they get paid a little more.

I think 10% is OTT really. Maybe 5%.
Old 14 April 2009, 08:53 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Perhaps then Pete, a pay-rise at your school isn't deemed necessary, as you've got no experience of what the rest of the teaching staff are actually like. (Unless your a Governor for loads of schools/colleges)
Perhaps then, the experience of your school's staff have given you this opinion - maybe they're rubbish!!!
However, you of all people should know that you shouldn't judge an entire profession on a select few, who quite possibly have by the sounds of it at your school, taken advantage.

Shame to have such a narrow view based such a small sample.

However, I will agree with you that performance SHOULD be rewarded The stark reality (in schools particularly) is that due to the Government's willingness to turn the schooling system into an education "meat" processing factory, where the kids are trained to pass exams rather than actually gain any knowledge, performance is going to be awful.
Hence the reason why the exams are getting easier.

I can give a fantastic example of this very fact: I have been interviewing for my course in September. Because it's Level 3 (A'Level standard), the entry requirements are at least 4 GCSEs at C or above to include Maths, English and a Science.
ie quite an academic course.
In the selection process, they all have to undertake a diagnostics exam (in maths & english) and then answer a simple 10 question paper.
The paper is based on Music Industry-type questions. Now, I don't expect them to know any technical information (that's why they're coming to me in the first place! ), however, ALL the questions were based on the prefix of "What do you think of......."
and the final one was write 150 words on the future of music and technology.....

EVERY single applicant has found this the hardest thing to do!!!! All because they've actually had to think about something of their own free will.

And the same applies to most kids. You ask them they're opinion on something, and it will take a while to get an answer.
So performance in education is all about facts/figures. Shame is they're "real-world" stupider than ever.

Now, when can I expect my pay rise?

DAn

Quick Reply: Teachers demand 10% pay increase